Another question about 3rd gen 20's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nealuss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
I know this has been covered a thousand times, but I can't seem to get a solid answer to my question from a search. So I apologize in advance if there is a thread I missed.

So I got a set of chrome clad 20's from an 08 Big Horn for a steal at the junk yard a few days ago. I know I need to have the hub bore machined out to fit on the front, but I can't find any solid answer on how much. I already have a local machine shop lined up that will do them but I have to give him the measurements.

TLDR: How much do I need to have the center bore on 3rd gen 20's machined for a 2wd 2nd gen and how deep?

Last edited:

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I know this has been covered a thousand times, but I can't seem to get a solid answer to my question from a search. So I apologize in advance if there is a thread I missed.

So I got a set of chrome clad 20's from an 08 Big Horn for a steal at the junk yard a few days ago. I know the fronts have to have the hub bore machined out to fit on the front, but I can't find any solid answer on how much. I already have a local machine shop lined up that will do them for $25 each.

TLDR: How much do I need to have the center bore on 3rd gen 20's machined for a 2wd 2nd gen and how deep?
What year is your truck?

Which front hubs do you have?

One piece hub and bearing assembly?

Or...

A rotor that requires inner and outer wheel bearings, seal and castle nut with a cotter pin?

OP
OP
N

Nealuss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
I have a 94 2wd so it is a hub/rotor not a slip on with a hub/bearing. Everything I have found tells me that 2wd's with hub rotors the 3rd gen 20's wont sit flush to the hub face without machining.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 94 2wd so it is a hub/rotor not a slip on with a hub/bearing. Everything I have found tells me that 2wd's with hub rotors the 3rd gen 20's wont sit flush to the hub face without machining.
Do you have a wheel you can test fit to verify what needs to be done?

If I remember correctly the wheel needs to have 5mm machined off of the hub hole in the wheel.

Alot of guys use a 1/2" spacer in the front to clear the hub.

OP
OP
N

Nealuss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
:hmm: I may have to try the spacers...I would really like to keep the center caps if that works.

OP
OP
N

Nealuss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
Just wanted to follow up for anyone using the search function in the future

The fronts had to be drilled through 3" from the backside. The center bore is 3" on the inside where it meets the hub, but it narrows down too much on the outside where the chrome clad cover or center cap (depending on which wheels you have) snaps in. The cheapest and easiest way for any machine shop to do it is to just make it a uniform 3" all the way through. Be aware if you have chrome clads like me there will be some flaking and chipping of the chrome film afterwards. The other thing worth noting is the machine shop didn't want to do it at first because it looks like the face plate snaps in and will fall off once cut, but trust me there is enough epoxy holding those things onto the wheel that it is not going to be a problem. Someone else on another thread mentioned that you can use a 1.5" spacer to clear the hubs on the 94-99 2wd, but be aware it will stick out past the fender at least an inch. The offset of the 20x9 wheels is perfect for a 2nd gen IMO.

I hope this helps someone in the future. I hate when people post up a question and it never gets answered:waytogo:

whitelilram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
that's wierd, cus so many ppl are telling me even 3rd/4th gen wheels wont fit a 2nd gen 2wd without milling down. :L some people saw it will. some say all you gotta do is use the lugs from the 2nd gen on the new gen wheels on the 2nd gen trucks because of the bolt length