Another trailer connection issue but interesting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamm999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok so to start off I have a 2012 1500. I installed the ITBC back in 2012 was flashed and worked pretty good till the end of last winter. Here's what it does , like many others I randomly get the trailer brake disconnected notification on the dash. What is interesting is when I check the brake power on the truck plug it is also inconsistent. I have tested it with both a test light at 5 oclock and bumper ground and 5 oclock and 7 oclock ground sometimes i get a light sometimes I don't . Also tested it with a volt meter same result sometimes a reading sometimes not. Now it gets more interesting. when I hook up the trailer it is also kind of ramdom but now that I am paying more attention it's not so random, when at a stop for a minute or less the disconnected warning comes on but once I start driving and get to between 25 and 35 mph it says connected and stays connected until I come to a stop and wait approximately a minute maybe less then it changes to disconnected again , then goes away aroung 25 to 35 mph again, pretty consistently, when backing into the driveway it's kind of hit or miss but mostly disconnected. I'm leaning towards the brake controller.

I am going to have a friend with a brand new Ram stop over tomorrow and try my trailer on his truck to eliminate the possibility of the trailer , if I don't get a disconnected warning on his truck I guess that would mean it's the controller for sure , if I do then the trailer is the answer

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
If you are getting inconsistent readings at your plug with a meter, then it is probably on the truck side. This sounds like a wiring issue - you have something heating up and opening, thus creating a break in the circuit. It could be in the plug, it could be in the wiring, it could be in your fuse block. You're going to have some chasing going on.

OP
OP
J

jamm999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I forgot to mention the truck plug is also new. Doesnt seem to be as inconsistent as I thought at first since every time I drive the trailer now I am noticing that it consistently disconnects going slow and reconnects over 35 mph

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
That sure sounds to me like a floating ground. I’d check the ground pin on your truck plug and make sure it has a solid connection to ground. I’d do the same on the trailer side as well, as a floating ground back there could confuse things. If the ground connection is lost between truck and trailer it will ground through the hitch and ball, and can produce the kinds of errors you are seeing.

Good luck,
DG

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That sure sounds to me like a floating ground. I’d check the ground pin on your truck plug and make sure it has a solid connection to ground. I’d do the same on the trailer side as well, as a floating ground back there could confuse things. If the ground connection is lost between truck and trailer it will ground through the hitch and ball, and can produce the kinds of errors you are seeing.

Good luck,
DG
Agreed, check your grounds.

OP
OP
J

jamm999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well the trailer checks out fine. Hooked it up to another Ram with NO disconnect issues at all so now at least I know it's not the trailer. I'm leaning towards the controller not putting out at the lower voltage while at a standstill, like I said before once the truck is up to around 25 -35 mph it reconnects and stays connected until standing still for a minute or so then disconnects until 25-35 mph again. I heard there is a flash update for the controller but I'll find out

Therottenjohnny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins diesel
From e trailer....

2013 Dodge Ram 2500 OEM Trailer Brake Controller Does Not Lock Brakes on One Trailer​

Question:
I am having a problem with communication between a 2013 Dodge Ram 2500 OEM Trailer Brake Controller evic and a flatbed trailer with brakes on one axle. For reference, this controller works just great with the travel trailer so I dont suspect a controller issue however it does not work with the flatbed. I have checked the wiring 7pin and tested the operation of all lights and trailer brakes when removed from the truck and all is well. I have tested the connection by connecting the trailer to another truck and the brakes lock up just fine. Therefore the conclusion is that the truck controller works with other trailers, and the trailer works fine with other trucks, but the two of them wont work with each other. As I said, the wiring has all been tested but what we cannot identify is how the Dodge system senses the trailer or why the EVIC says trailer not connected when it clearly is. Does the new Dodge have a non-standard pinout? I have had this checked out by three people and reached the same conclusion that everything SHOULD be working... but it does not.
asked by: Dirk D
Expert Reply:
The OEM brake controllers manufacturers have been putting in trucks have some interesting quirks. First, if the trailer using an electric over hydraulic braking system then that is probably the issue. Factory controllers are notorious for not working with EOH systems. Some EOH actuators do have an adapter you can use but I would need to know the actuator manufacturer.

Another possible issue is that the gain is not turned up enough to work properly with that one trailer. All trailers are different and you may just need to turn up the power output to get it going, or stopping in this case, properly.

You can test the magnets to see if they are working properly but if the trailer works fine with other trucks I doubt this is the issue. Still it might be worth checking out. I have included a link to an article that explains how to test the magnets.

If all else fails you could install an aftermarket controller in place of the factory one. I have linked another Tech Bulletin that covers this because there are some subtleties with your generation Ram and the factory controller.
exper

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat