Bizarre Brake Controller Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EB Rocks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
Hello fellow Ram Fans

I installed a brake contoller and flashed via Alfaobd and was happy to see it work and react (gain buttons and knob) in the cluster but every time I brake the controller screen comes up (meter shows braking power) and the speedo goes away breifly. I wouldn't think normal if not is there a way to disable it? No trailer attached....yet

This is the one I installed:

I didnt see anyone who had the same issue like this with this one.

I have another coming incase it was bad

-Eric

OP
OP
EB Rocks

EB Rocks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
I did try attach a 7-Way Blade Trailer Wiring Tester today I wonder if it acts as if a trailer is attached. If it does it still said No Trailer Attached.51ywDqhAQGL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You have something going on there. Without a trailer attached, it should not show braking power when you fit the brakes.
I would be leaning towards the aftermarket controller in your case.

What points did you change with AlfaOBD?

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Agree with the above, sounds like something didn't get enabled properly because with no trailer attached that screen shouldn't come up unless you select it. Of course it could have to do with it being an aftermarket controller, it's possible it's for the wrong truck. I believe it was 2015 that had a specific unit that looks identical on the outside but is incompatible with other years.

If everything is enabled properly then it's possible you have the wrong controller. This is a big reason that I had my wife's installed by the dealer - it was relatively cheap for stock parts, they're correct for the truck, and they take care of adding the screens and enabling everything. Hers works flawlessly.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
There is no telling what goes on inside a Chinese knock-off so it is hard to help diagnose.

OP
OP
EB Rocks

EB Rocks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
This is what I changed

Cust.Set.Menu 2 Trailer Selected CSM Present
Cust.Set.Menu 2 Trailer Name CSM Present
Cust.Set.Menu 2 Transport Mode csm Present
P/T Chassis Net: ITBM/HWN Integrated Trailier Break Modulue

I did hear from someone with the same Aftermarket Module and 2019 Classic that does not have any issue. Only difference is they got flashed by the dealer. The replacement is coming today I'll drop it in tommorow which shouldn't be hard as the bracket is already installed which was one BIG PAIN.

You have something going on there. Without a trailer attached, it should not show braking power when you fit the brakes.
I would be leaning towards the aftermarket controller in your case.

What points did you change with AlfaOBD?
So when a trailer is attached that screen pops up to show the power then reverts back to whatever it was on?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do not think the Trailer Screen should come on every time you hit the brake than revert back. Something wonky there, The screen should only display when selected, at least on my 2015 ED that I had and MY 19 5th Gen. But without hooking up, dunno. (If I got time, I'll go down later and hook up and see what exactly happens and report back). SO take this comment with a grain of salt. THIS is why I have an OEM TT that was installed/flashed by dealer when I bought truck. Told em: I buy truck, but TT controls and flash on Dealer dime: part of buying the truck in Aug 2018.

As far as tester, what does the instructions say? Does it just check all the pin circuits or is it supposed to simulate a trailer attached? Some of these Chinese knockoffs, argh. Some just check circuits and some both simulate to display and check circuits. That would be read the "destructions".

All above IMHO only.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
can't you remove or disable via the steering wheel options? sometimes i forget to remove it from the cluster and my wife gets all confused...lol....i normally have the average miles per gallon displayed.

OP
OP
EB Rocks

EB Rocks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
can't you remove or disable via the steering wheel options? sometimes i forget to remove it from the cluster and my wife gets all confused...lol....i normally have the average miles per gallon displayed.
I mostly have the Speedo on but this pops up when i drive, it does not seem to be normal. If the replacement still does not resolve it I'll get the Mopar OEM

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
IMHO, I would not go Chinese knock-off on something safety related like a brake controller. The OP is only seeing a problem that has a visual indication. Wonder what the knock-off controller is actually doing about the voltage and pulses controlling the trailer brakes.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I mostly have the Speedo on but this pops up when i drive, it does not seem to be normal. If the replacement still does not resolve it I'll get the Mopar OEM
OK, fer chits n giggles I went to my garage area, and hooked up my trailer to my 5th Gen: Had to go out and make sure before I type anything.

1) Trailer brake screen that is mated to my trailer, light electric will display when I have that screen on that screen chosen and in EVIC. When I put on any other screen, and hit the Brake, the Trailer Screen does not re-populate the EVIC, as in pop back on. When displayed and kept on as in displayed, will show the actions and output setting (gain) and also whatever input is being sent to trailer. This done whether in Drive or park.

2) When driving, the trailer screen will only show if that is what U have the EVIC set to display.

3) With no trailer attached, if I bring up trailer screen in EVIC, it will show the gain setting and also the outputs being sent to the trailer connection, but of course with no trailer attached, that is just info.

4) IF U R getting the trailer screen popping up every time U hit the brakes, when on another screen displayed, or it popping up even with no trailer attached, U either got a short or BCM issue or maybe even an unsupported function from yer non-OEM controller.

All above IMHO.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

i bought mine off ebay....claimed it was OEM...works excellent...only had to have the dealer program the computer. My truck actually "measures" the length of a trailer i hook up. But, when i bought mine it was $135. Truck even tells me if there's an issue with the trailer wiring.

now, bidenomics has increased the price.....

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is what I changed

Cust.Set.Menu 2 Trailer Selected CSM Present
Cust.Set.Menu 2 Trailer Name CSM Present
Cust.Set.Menu 2 Transport Mode csm Present
P/T Chassis Net: ITBM/HWN Integrated Trailier Break Modulue

I did hear from someone with the same Aftermarket Module and 2019 Classic that does not have any issue. Only difference is they got flashed by the dealer. The replacement is coming today I'll drop it in tommorow which shouldn't be hard as the bracket is already installed which was one BIG PAIN.

So when a trailer is attached that screen pops up to show the power then reverts back to whatever it was on?
Here is what I turned on with AlfaOBD:

1st: Custom Set Menu2 - Trailer Select CSM: change to YES - START - NEXT

2nd: Custom Set Menu2 - Trailer Name CSM Present: change to YES - START - NEXT

3rd: Custom Set Menu2 - Trailer Mode CSM Present: change to YES - START - NEXT

4th: Custom Set Menu2- Trailer Type CSM Present: change to YES - START - NEXT

5th: PT.Chassis.Net: ITBM / HWM Integrated Trailer Brake Module: change to YES - START - NEXT

If I recall correctly, I think I had to turn these on, too
Trailer Tail Lamp Relay Control Output Present

Trailer Turn and Stop Relay Right Output Present

Trailer Turn and Stop Relay Left Output Present

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

turkeybird56

Thanks for checking on this with great details
K, just had to go and hook up and see what display and etc doing. Same results as my 2015 ED I had, so has to be an issue with OP's aftermarket unit, whether install, what changes made with Alpha OBD and/or whether flashing needed again. WHY I stayed OEM.

I had an aftermarket in my 2001 F 150, and that sucker hanging under the dash was a Monster PITA, why I stay OEM now. But just my preference and experiences.

OP
OP
EB Rocks

EB Rocks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
Replacement did the same thing, also saw someone replied to my question on Amazon that the same thing was happing on theirs.

Returned,OEM Ordered.... Lesson learned.

Thanks for the help everyone

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat