Any reason to carry the key around?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DURASPANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cool!

Hey, totally unrelated, but where is it parked these days, have any cool pictures of the truck, and while we're at it, if you were to get a check in the value of your social security number how much money would that be? :p
It's always parked around Greenville and it's a black mega cab. Even if you get inside of it. Only thing you might find. Is my sunglasses and a bolted in lock box for my pistol. That I have not used since I made sure pistol would fit in box if I ever did need to. So if you ever find it don't spend a lot of time messing with box. As I am old now and don't fight. Have done time before. So a life sentence would just give me street cred. I believe the room dogs call it. Strapped up and don't care now.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To answer the question, I do not carry the key, just the fob with the built in key. My 2013 came with two of the fobs with the built in key, plus a regular (bulky) full size key. What I did was have a locksmith make a regular key for me that does not have the bulky rubber coating on it. That I carry on my main key ring just for the peace of mind factor. I carry the fob separately. I think that answers the original question.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
The key in the fob is useless if you somehow lock the fob in the vehicle. It would make more sense to have an all metal key made that you keep in your wallet. Use a Y157 blank.

My truck came with two fobs, so I took one of the small keys out of the spare fob and hid it in a spot outside my truck, so if I lock the fob inside the truck I can easily open it. I've already used it once.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck came with two fobs, so I took one of the small keys out of the spare fob and hid it in a spot outside my truck, so if I lock the fob inside the truck I can easily open it. I've already used it once.

So just for the sake of the discussion, when you say you’ve already used your hidden key one time already, how exactly did you lock your fob in the truck? Is it safe to assume that you’re like the OP who has the pushbutton start and the passive entry system? Because as it’s been discussed, if you have that stuff, there really shouldn’t be a way for you to lock yourself out of your truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
So just for the sake of the discussion, when you say you’ve already used your hidden key one time already, how exactly did you lock your fob in the truck? Is it safe to assume that you’re like the OP who has the pushbutton start and the passive entry system? Because as it’s been discussed, if you have that stuff, there really shouldn’t be a way for you to lock yourself out of your truck.

I don't have the push button start, just the fob that I can lock the truck with, or push the button in the door. When I first got the truck it seemed like it would lock on its own occasionally. I disabled the auto lock feature and that seems to have gone away.

I was going into a grocery store for the first time after the virus started, so I was putting on a mask and distracted by that, and didn't pick up the fob before I exited, and locked the door by pushing the button on the door before I closed it.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have the push button start, just the fob that I can lock the truck with, or push the button in the door. When I first got the truck it seemed like it would lock on its own occasionally. I disabled the auto lock feature and that seems to have gone away.

I was going into a grocery store for the first time after the virus started, so I was putting on a mask and distracted by that, and didn't pick up the fob before I exited, and locked the door by pushing the button on the door before I closed it.

Ok so, you have the passive entry but I’m assuming you have to have an actual key or one of them goofy looking fob keys inserted into your ignition but I would think that with your passive entry that your key would still detected .

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Ok so, you have the passive entry but I’m assuming you have to have an actual key or one of them goofy looking fob keys inserted into your ignition but I would think that with your passive entry that your key would still detected .

Yes, I put the fob into the ignition and turn it. If the fob is locked inside the truck there's no way I can get in unless I have a hard key or another fob.

I'm a creature of habit, when I get out of the truck I grab my wallet, cell phone, and have the key fob in my hand, I think putting the mask on just threw off my normal routine.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, I put the fob into the ignition and turn it. If the fob is locked inside the truck there's no way I can get in unless I have a hard key or another fob.

I'm a creature of habit, when I get out of the truck I grab my wallet, cell phone, and have the key fob in my hand, I think putting the mask on just threw off my normal routine.

Unless you have push-button start, the only way I guess for you to not be able to lock yourself out is the fob had to be in the ignition for it to be detected.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Unless you have push-button start, the only way I guess for you to not be able to lock yourself out is the fob had to be in the ignition for it to be detected.

Yes, if the fob is in the ignition, if I press the lock button on the door it won't lock.

Floridaphil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 18 has a lock cylinder on the tailgate handle so I really don’t know why yours wouldn’t because to my knowledge, it’s only there on mine for the same reason why I also have a manual lock cylinder on the driver door handle as well, so that I can gain access in the event of a power failure.

I totally understand the need for a second key that’s either carried on your person, or hidden within your truck somewhere because yes, that other key that’s locked away in your key fob does you no good if you lock the key fob in the truck. Which brings me to my next point, if everything is working properly on your truck, there should be no way to lock your key fob in the cab and the only time I know of where this can happen is if you hit the lock button on the door panel- unsure about the exterior door lock button if so equipped, after you’ve gotten in, got out while the truck is still in remote start mode and the door gets shut. Although when I tested it, I never did wait for the remote start timer to expire to see what happened at that point, I just went in the house and grabbed my spare remote and unlocked the truck.

But yes, you can drive your truck without the fob present but that “fob not in vehicle” warning should prevent that.

I got out of my 2020 ram left the keys inside and got locked out, real pain. Why oh why don't Ram do what Ford does and put a keypad on the doors. It makes sense to hide your keys inside rather than have to lug them around, additionally with the pandemic, its another thing more likely not to get infected by taking them with you. all these manufacturers come up with a ton of new gadgets but don't address the basic sensible needs.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got out of my 2020 ram left the keys inside and got locked out, real pain. Why oh why don't Ram do what Ford does and put a keypad on the doors. It makes sense to hide your keys inside rather than have to lug them around, additionally with the pandemic, its another thing more likely not to get infected by taking them with you. all these manufacturers come up with a ton of new gadgets but don't address the basic sensible needs.

OK so, in conjunction with what I’ve asked everybody else, I guess I’ll ask you to but how about a little bit more details on you locking yourself out? Does your new truck not have the pushbutton start or the passive entry? Does your truck just require a key or the fob itself to be plugged into your dashboard? If you have the passive entry and the pushbutton start, there should be no reason why you locked yourself out and if you don’t have that stuff, how did you go about locking yourself out?

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fob never leaves my pocket except to open a lock. Then it goes right back in my pocket. I'm not one of those that throws the keys, wallet, etc into the center console when I get in the truck.
tghat is interesting because on my '17 RAM and 18 Durango with fobs, with the engine running or not you can not lock the vehicle with a fob inside the truck. It simply will not allow the mechanism to lock, period. Now m,y 2010 Jeep does, but not my RAM or Durango. Hummmm.....

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
If you throw your golf bag with your remote/key in the bag pocket in the bed with a tonneau cover and the tailgate locks, you'll wish you had a key on you. Bet you can guess how I know and I carry a key in my wallet.

Oh hell!! And my spare key would most likely be in my wallet, in my golf bag also!! ;) :)

Ervin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I normally have a key in my wallet for my Ram and Durango. My battery was dead in the Ram, had to call my wife to get a jump. She came, started the Durango, Jumped the Ram, got it going then her dog stepped on the lock button. She always leaves the key in the cup holder. Fortunately the Ram was running, so I went home for the spare key. Then to Lowes to have a wallet key made.

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I normally have a key in my wallet for my Ram and Durango. My battery was dead in the Ram, had to call my wife to get a jump. She came, started the Durango, Jumped the Ram, got it going then her dog stepped on the lock button. She always leaves the key in the cup holder. Fortunately the Ram was running, so I went home for the spare key. Then to Lowes to have a wallet key made.
We are obviously talking about a different system then what the subject truck has. No need for a wallet key as long as I have the fob. And I always have the fob.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We are obviously talking about a different system then what the subject truck has. No need for a wallet key as long as I have the fob. And I always have the fob.

I think the technical term is valet key in your fob but it’s a good idea to leave that in there if you ever have a dead battery.

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I think the technical term is valet key in your fob but it’s a good idea to leave that in there if you ever have a dead battery.
I don't think it could be called a valet key, since with the key alone, you can't start the truck.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
There has been considerable meandering in this post but just for the record, this is the key fob setup from my 19 Laramie L-2 with push button start. If I lock myself out, the key is what I carry in my wallet in the event I have another mind fart. It fits the driver's door

Ram Key Fob.jpg

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yes, it has meandered quite a bit! ;) And thanks for the pictures. But I was not talking about carrying/hiding a spare key. I was just curious if the bigger, non-push button start type key had some function that the hidden key in the fob does not. Question has been answered, and I no longer carry it.

I may find a hideyhole under the truck somewhere to store it, though. I'm not very worried about locking myself out, and that was not what this thread was about, but I do value a backup plan.