Anybody had to replace your power folding mirrors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Levi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The power mirrors on my 2019 ram started their malfunction at 13000 miles. Basically they would go past their limit points when folding causing the " ratcheting mirror problem" which is a known problem at my dealer. They said is was so bad the mirrors were backordered a few months back. Anybody else had to replace their mirrors?

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Mine are good on my 2020. Never heard of this issue to be honest.

Only time mine go past their limit point is when my wife decides to manually un-fold them, and i dont notice when hitting the un-fold button hahahah.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The power mirrors on my 2019 ram started their malfunction at 13000 miles. Basically they would go past their limit points when folding causing the " ratcheting mirror problem" which is a known problem at my dealer. They said is was so bad the mirrors were backordered a few months back. Anybody else had to replace their mirrors?

Had mine replaced a couple of months ago. Ran it through the car wash once, and the brushes flipped them forward, stripping the gears. Cheap plastic. But did look at the metal replacement parts at https://www.gruvenparts.com/shop-by-car/ram-trucks

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
SO what would have happened if the gears were metal and they hit something? Are they plastic to prevent other damage?

The mirror has a denent system that allows it to move forward/rearward past the detent supposedly not damaging the gears. Problem is the gears are not strong enough to stay engauged without breaking or cracking. The detent system is stronger than the gears.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

Hi there! I'm super sorry to hear about the concerns you're experiencing with your mirrors. I recommend setting up an appointment with your Ram dealer to get this properly addressed. If you need additional support while working with your dealer-- reach back out to our RamCares team! We'd be happy to answer any questions or concerns.

Courtney
Ram Cares

OP
OP
L

Levi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the reply. The dealer took care of it with no problem. It just concerns me that out of the blue they fail. I'm glad we have this site and that we have you to help us.

Rick Wagner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8

Rick Wagner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Hello, yes I have had this issue now twice with my 2019 Ram. They replaced my mirror the first time. Now, both of my mirrors are not working properly. Truck is still under warranty but the dealer ship will only replace one mirror not both. Very frustrated with this. Very clear Ram has a issue with these mirrors and will not stand behind their problem and make it right. Maybe it’s just my dealership, not sure. Need help!

Ibsledge

Military
Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my 2019 it was a issue. My new truck has been flawless thus far.

Last edited:

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
Had to replace my passenger side last week because of a brain fart and I failed to fold them in while backing out of my garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TVS1461

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My passengers side malfunctioned. Dealer replaced after ordering part. Took about 2 weeks.

wfscooter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dealer has warranty replaced passenger mirror twice, and am currently waiting for a back ordered driver side. :(

The passenger mirrors came already painted matching my truck, the new driver side mirror will have to be painted. Not happy about that.

Does anyone know a site where the replacement gears are available? I’m tempted to fix the driver mirror before the back ordered one comes in.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Dealer has warranty replaced passenger mirror twice, and am currently waiting for a back ordered driver side. :(

The passenger mirrors came already painted matching my truck, the new driver side mirror will have to be painted. Not happy about that.

Does anyone know a site where the replacement gears are available? I’m tempted to fix the driver mirror before the back ordered one comes in.

2019+ Ram METAL Power Folding Mirror Gears - Gruven Parts

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
I know this is a 5th gen thread but was wondering if someone could elaborate on how difficult this repair is? I have the ability to get a power fold tow mirror for my 2018 3500 that broke for 70$ so I can repair with this kit. The directions don't look too bad but there's a lot of emphasis on the spring being really tight and possibly launching into your face or space. That's the only part I have concern with.

Thanks for the info.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
OC455
When the new mirror comes in, i think with a little patience & a couple tools, the painted parts on your current mirror can be put on the new mirror

early 4th Gen Ram

1644733141404.png

1644733192648.png

1644733261626.png

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie / 2020 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey, folks...

Just posted this in the 4th Gen forum but saw the question here too...

As I was reading through the Gruven website information on the replacement gear, it has this caveat posted in the DIY section for folks just wanting to replace the gear vice replacing the entire motor unit:

"** You Must Use the GruvenParts.com replacement motors when using this brass gear. This
is because the OEM motor sends current through the motor case, which isn’t an issue with
the plastic spur gear. However, when using the brass spur gear, the current path could
proceed to ground. Our motors do not use the motor case for the ground and therefore must
be used with the brass spur gear"

Just thought I'd throw this out there just as something to be aware of...not sure how much of an issue it can be, so......YMMV

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Yes. Had both of mine replaced via warranty. New ones operate much quieter and smother.

heyitsgui

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just found this thread, I'm having the same issue with my passengers side mirror, but the dealership says its not covered under warranty and they want to charge me nearly $3000 for the fix. Has anyone else run into this? @RamCares is this something you can help with?