Installed Boss snow plow, No sound from stereo and rear defrost/heated mirrors not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lunati515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4 with 104,*** miles and recently installed a Boss snow plow and wired it to the factory snow plow harness located below the fuse box under the hood. After using the plow quite a bit clearing a parking lot my radio would suddenly have no audio coming from it and also the heated mirrors / rear defrost button would not light up, turn on, at the same time. I reset the uconnect system and still no sound. After shutting the truck down for a few minutes and restarting everything works as it should. I thought this might be related to the snow plow but after doing some reading I believe it just may be a coincidence that the issue started after installing the snow plow. I read something about a connector at a harness under the hood I believe it was the I230, I disconnected it and there was no corrosion at all in there. Also checked the fuses and everything is good there along with rechecking the plow wiring and confirming that everything is wired correctly.

I'm wondering if anybody else has had this problem and curious to see if they have been able to resolve it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have a 2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4 with 104,*** miles and recently installed a Boss snow plow and wired it to the factory snow plow harness located below the fuse box under the hood. After using the plow quite a bit clearing a parking lot my radio would suddenly have no audio coming from it and also the heated mirrors / rear defrost button would not light up, turn on, at the same time. I reset the uconnect system and still no sound. After shutting the truck down for a few minutes and restarting everything works as it should. I thought this might be related to the snow plow but after doing some reading I believe it just may be a coincidence that the issue started after installing the snow plow. I read something about a connector at a harness under the hood I believe it was the I230, I disconnected it and there was no corrosion at all in there. Also checked the fuses and everything is good there along with rechecking the plow wiring and confirming that everything is wired correctly.

I'm wondering if anybody else has had this problem and curious to see if they have been able to resolve it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
If you have a way to check codes I'd read those. Not all codes pop a CEL. I'd bet you'd see something along the lines of "lost communication with module XXXXXX". Possibly a bad ground exacerbated by the heavier duty of plowing.

OP
OP
L

Lunati515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thank you I never even thought of that. I will plug into it after work and see if there's anything there. I will post my results. Thanks again

OP
OP
L

Lunati515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So I plugged into the truck after work and there are no codes. I did plow with it for about 45 minutes or so today with no issues. Hopefully it was a fluke thing which I highly doubt, but I guess I will find out if and or when the issue returns.

OP
OP
L

Lunati515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Used the plow again for an hour or so and problem returned. Shut the truck off for a few, restarted it and all is well again. Until next time...

OP
OP
L

Lunati515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Also forgot to mention the dead battery the next morning when the issue is occuring. I discovered the dash is staying lit up after shutting truck off and locking it. If I wait a few and restart the truck after shutting it down, the radio issue is gone and the dash lights go out.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Also forgot to mention the dead battery the next morning when the issue is occuring. I discovered the dash is staying lit up after shutting truck off and locking it. If I wait a few and restart the truck after shutting it down, the radio issue is gone and the dash lights go out.
Do you know which firmware level your radio is on?

OP
OP
L

Lunati515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
18.45.01 I just checked the uconnect website for an update and there's one available. I'm going to download and install the update today and see what happens from there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517