Anybody Have a 33 Gallon Tank?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the 33gal. tank but have not had my truck long enough to burn thru a whole tank. I am ok with light coming on a gallon or two early as long as the Miles To Empty number is correct. I have a bad habit of cutting it close sometimes.

I find it to give you plenty of room. I have under 10 miles to go and still had 1.5-2 gallons left by the time I made it to a gas station.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is kind of cool to see over 600 miles left to go.

I must admit the big tank makes me ponder the best fuel prices. I got a
.60 per gallon discount at our grocery store (rewards program). I paid $2.51 per gallon and it was still almost $80 to fill. I need to get use to this high finance.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is kind of cool to see over 600 miles left to go.

I must admit the big tank makes me ponder the best fuel prices. I got a
.60 per gallon discount at our grocery store (rewards program). I paid $2.51 per gallon and it was still almost $80 to fill. I need to get use to this high finance.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

It's just mental. You use/spend the same amount regardless.

Siff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's just mental. You use/spend the same amount regardless.
Technically not true; from full to the point where the weight of fuel plus big tank is equivelant to the weight of fuel plus small tank, you burn slightly more due to the extra weight.

MikeinNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I have the same problem - or not.

2014 Limited. Build sheet, window sticker and VIN run all confirm vehicle has a 32 gallon tank. Also confirmed by dealer. Since I've owned it (March 2017), any time my gauge is low or the info center tells me 40 Miles to Empty (or whatever small amount), when I fill up, it never takes more than 24 or 25 gallons. Never.

Essentially, my tank has always read as a 26 gallon.

So I had it back to the dealer today and they tell me FCA is aware that some vehicles have this problem, and there is no fix for it. No software upgrade. No gauge replacement. Nothing.

I get having some in reserve, and not wanting the light to come on with a gallon left, but 6-7 gallons left is 20% of the tank volume. Seems a bit overkill. Plus the fact that it will tell me I'll be empty in "X" miles - forever reading as a 26 gallon tank. So if I go from highway driving at 22-23mpg, and exit for city driving, I really won;t have any idea how much fuel will be left (unless I start calculating the mpg and apply it to an estimated amount of fuel remaining).

Frustrating.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
SO you guys need a fuel light in addition to the fuel gauge?

If you have access to fuel, why would you run your tank down to the point the light comes on? If you don't have access to fuel, it doesn't matter when it comes on.

MikeinNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
SO you guys need a fuel light in addition to the fuel gauge?

If you have access to fuel, why would you run your tank down to the point the light comes on? If you don't have access to fuel, it doesn't matter when it comes on.

For me, I'm just saying that it would be nice to have either a fuel gauge or a fuel light that actually represented an accurate reading. I have neither.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
For me, I'm just saying that it would be nice to have either a fuel gauge or a fuel light that actually represented an accurate reading. I have neither.

Ah... I wasn't aware that the gauges read wrong, apologies, missed that detail. My 32 gallon in my '13 reads dead-on.

MattF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
Technically not true; from full to the point where the weight of fuel plus big tank is equivelant to the weight of fuel plus small tank, you burn slightly more due to the extra weight.

It's immaterial relatives to the percentage of overall weight. So factually it doesn't make a difference in fuel economy

Slatts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Before my first fill up yesterday, the fuel light came on with 60 miles remaining, or about 4 gallons. I like the early warning because that means I only have to put in 29 gallons. Any more fuel for one fill up would be too much to bear. :D

hksvr4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I asked the dealer to add the extended gas tank, but he told me there's non available at the moment. Would like this for towing my TT.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I ran my truck down on fuel and the low gas light came on at 50 miles remaining. It took 30 gallons to fill the tank so my guage is very close.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ordered the 125 litre tank instead of the 98 litre. Gauge reads bang on and I love the bigger tank on long hauls. This is my third Ram with the bigger tank option and I wouldn't be without it.

o2cmefly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Before my first fill up yesterday, the fuel light came on with 60 miles remaining, or about 4 gallons. I like the early warning because that means I only have to put in 29 gallons. Any more fuel for one fill up would be too much to bear. :D

The gauge reading correctly is one thing, and should be fixed. But for those of you waiting til the light comes on to fill up, this is dumb. You should never run any modern vehicle's fuel level that low. Why? Fuel pumps are inside the gas tank, and are ONLY cooled by fuel covering them. A little less than the ¼ tank mark, they start to get uncovered. When the fuel pump runs uncovered, it heats up and will wear out prematurely. Make sure the gauge reads right, then fill up when you hit ¼ tank, if not slightly before. Your fuel pump (and vicariously your wallet) will thank you.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
My dealer has apparently never heard of the gas gauge issue. I dropped it off for the service bulletin and they wanted to charge me a maxcare deductible. This is after I dropped it off and got a ride home because the software would take a couple of hours...so not only can they not fix it without charging me something they are wasting my time.

*edit*

Mine is a 2012. I just found this thread while searching trying to find the bulletin.

Last edited:

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
Never run tank much below half a tank at all times and yell at my wife to not running it down until fuel light comes on when ever she drive the Truck....But can understand the ponit made by others here if its a 33 gallon tank then it should hold 33 gallons wanting it to work properly by holding the appropriate amount of fuel per specifications of the tanks.26 gallon tanks on last two trucks had me getting gas quite a bit ,but no more with 33 gallon, so its appreciated.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I have the 33 gal. tank. nice to see 600 mile range after a fill up