Anybody Have a 33 Gallon Tank?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cudapower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the 32 on my 2013 and there was the issue of the gauge reading for the regular tank so the gauge said the tank was out at 28 gallons. This was on a lot of sites at the time and there was supposed to be a dealer software fix for the gauge. I never checked it out but now I am surprised. I ordered a 2019 Ram with the 33 gallon tank and just got it. It also appears that the gauge says it is empty at 28 gallons. I cant believe they haven't fixed this in 5 years. Has anyone had the dealer do a soft ware fix on the gauge so it reads correctly on any of the previous years? The last time I asked the dealer about my 2013 he didn't seem to know anything about it.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish I had the 33 gallon, but none of the trucks around here had it. I may try to upgrade later on.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 4th gen version is still broken :(

warv3t

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 33 gallon tank and my light came on this morning. I filled up with 29 gallons. On another forum, ppl say that this is an issue. They say the light shouldn't come on until it's closer to "empty" ....but there are a lot of us who are happy that it comes on with 3-4 gallons remaining.

To be honest, I'm perfectly fine with my light coming on with 4 gallons remaining. When would you like your light to come on?? With 1 gallon, 2 gallons? With only 16-17 miles of 'real' gas remaining??? I'll admit, my other cars do come on with far less gas remaining but I've had the 'pucker' factor a number of times in my last GMC...when the light came on and I'm in traffic that isn't moving and no exit for miles.

As for me, if mine is 'broken', I'm glad it is. It shows me how much gas mileage is left and I've done the math.....it's about 3 gallons. So, if I wasn't paying attention and the light comes on and I'm stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, or an accident ahead and I have to turn around..........I'm happy about.

I do understand that others view that as 'broken' or inaccurate .......and I won't argue your view. Shoot, my last tank lasted 13 days (short work commute) and I'm super stoked about having more days between fill ups. I love that, alone.

Last edited:

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 33 gallon tank and my light came on this morning. I filled up with 29 gallons. On another forum, ppl say that this is an issue. They say the light shouldn't come on until it's closer to "empty" ....but there are a lot of us who are happy that it comes on with 3-4 gallons remaining.

To be honest, I'm perfectly fine with my light coming on with 4 gallons remaining. When would you like your light to come on?? With 1 gallon, 2 gallons? With only 16-17 miles of 'real' gas remaining??? I'll admit, my other cars do come on with far less gas remaining but I've had the 'pucker' factor a number of times in my last GMC...when the light came on and I'm in traffic that isn't moving and no exit for miles.

As for me, if mine is 'broken', I'm glad it is. It shows me how much gas mileage is left and I've done the math.....it's about 3 gallons. So, if I wasn't paying attention and the light comes on and I'm stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, or an accident ahead and I have to turn around..........I'm happy about.

I do understand that others view that as 'broken' or inaccurate .......and I won't argue your view. Shoot, my last tank lasted 13 days (short work commute) and I'm super stoked about having more days between fill ups. I love that, alone.

Yours is correct. I ran my 32 gallon on low range for a while and still filled up at 30-31. I think the problem was it was showing low at 24gallons for some people.

Ugh I miss the bigger tank already. Anyone have a part #?

warv3t

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yours is correct. I ran my 32 gallon on low range for a while and still filled up at 30-31. I think the problem was it was showing low at 24gallons for some people.

Ugh I miss the bigger tank already. Anyone have a part #?

ohhhhhhhhhh gotcha. I just read the thread someone put in this thread and I see it now....light was coming on with 24 gallons. Gotcha

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I've had my truck 7 months. It's a 2013 2500 CTD. I have no clue what size tank it has. How can I find the size? I've not had the low fuel light come on but I do let it get to the "Red" line on the gauge before filling up. It only holds 25 gallons then. Is the "Red" line mark the 5 gallon remaining mark?

ISellRams22

TxnRamTrvlr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
like stated above, i appreciate ram for letting me have the comfort of 3-4 gallons left when it says empty. I have been in traffic and a huge accident happens and my empty never ram out after stop and go for over an hour while i saw other vehicles out of gas. if you want, test how long it will go on empty and just always round with that. for me i know my truck will drive 45 miles easily after it says empty. but why push it? keep that fresh fuel in your truck and feed your baby right. after all, she carries you around all day and never fails! haha

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had my truck 7 months. It's a 2013 2500 CTD. I have no clue what size tank it has. How can I find the size? I've not had the low fuel light come on but I do let it get to the "Red" line on the gauge before filling up. It only holds 25 gallons then. Is the "Red" line mark the 5 gallon remaining mark?
That would be 26 gallon tank, you can pull your vin for a build sheet to be 100% sure.

https://www.dodge.com/hostc/ Enter your vin for Window Sticker.

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
That would be 26 gallon tank, you can pull your vin for a build sheet to be 100% sure.

https://www.dodge.com/hostc/ Enter your vin for Window Sticker.

Thanks. I was able to pull both the build sheet and the window sticker. I have a 31 gallon tank. I fill the truck at one location. They sell pure diesel, no bio. At the red line, the truck held 25 gallons so there's 6 in reserve. I may drive it until the light comes on next time to see how much it holds.

o2cmefly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The gauge reading correctly is one thing, and should be fixed. But for those of you waiting til the light comes on to fill up, this is dumb. You should never run any modern vehicle's fuel level that low. Why? Fuel pumps are inside the gas tank, and are ONLY cooled by fuel covering them. A little less than the ¼ tank mark, they start to get uncovered. When the fuel pump run uncovered, it heats up and will wear out prematurely. Make sure the gauge reads right, then fill up when you hit ¼ tank, if not slightly before. Your fuel pump (and vicariously your wallet) will thank you.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The gauge reading correctly is one thing, and should be fixed. But for those of you waiting til the light comes on to fill up, this is dumb. You should never run any modern vehicle's fuel level that low. Why? Fuel pumps are inside the gas tank, and are ONLY cooled by fuel covering them. A little less than the ¼ tank mark, they start to get uncovered. When the fuel pump run uncovered, it heats up and will wear out prematurely. Make sure the gauge reads right, then fill up when you hit ¼ tank, if not slightly before. Your fuel pump (and vicariously your wallet) will thank you.

Pretty sure this was proved wrong in the 4th gen section.

Nola

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wish I had the 33 gallon, but none of the trucks around here had it. I may try to upgrade later on.
There may be a problem with upgrading it to the bigger tank. It has been done on ford trucks but the computer would not recognize the bigger tank. The gauge worked ok but the distance to empty was not accurate, still thought it had the smaller tank.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There may be a problem with upgrading it to the bigger tank. It has been done on ford trucks but the computer would not recognize the bigger tank. The gauge worked ok but the distance to empty was not accurate, still thought it had the smaller tank.
Works on the 4th gens

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2019 has the 33 gal tank. Both the gauge and range reads accurately.

Filled up with 31.5 gallons Saturday.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I have the 33gal. tank but have not had my truck long enough to burn thru a whole tank. I am ok with light coming on a gallon or two early as long as the Miles To Empty number is correct. I have a bad habit of cutting it close sometimes.