Anybody running 285/75-17 Toyo MT's on their pw?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
35's Toyo R/T= 74 lbs, C/T = 77 lbs, and M/T = 78 lbs. Didn't expect a 4 lb difference due to the tread depth and pattern.

OP
OP
retired

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am headed to Moab in early December (I always go 2X a year in the jeep this is the first time in the PW). I have loved the R/T's on the jeep and no reason to believe they should not do well on the PW. I have weighed many tires on a postal scale and found that the manufacturer's weights are not all that accurate they can be plus or minus 2 or 3 lbs. I most recently had a set of Toyo ATIII in 35x11.5-17 and their weight was way off of what Toyo claimed. funny thing is they were C load and still had a 3ply side wall. the ATII and ATIII run really small in 35's.
https://www.toyotires.com/type/light-truck

DieselMike29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Yes 285/75-17 i am talking actual size not what the tire makers say. I have run both cooper st maxx in 285/75-17 and 315/70-70 and Toyo at2 in both sizes and less than 1/2” in actual size difference. The photo i posted was my tires. I will find the cooper photos they are even closer in height. And yes the 285’s are closer to 34’s but so are most 35’s when on the rig.
You have to look at ALL of the numbers in a tire size to determine how "tall" they are. The first number (285 in this discussion) is the width of the tire in millimeters = 285 xxRxx tires are ALL 285 mm wide! Second number tells you the ASPECT ratio - how high the tire is in comparison to the width = *** 75 (%) (or 70% or etc)Rxx [The height of the sidewall changes with the width of the tire!] Of course, we all know that the "R" means "radial" and that the two numbers after it are the diameter of the wheel. Oh, and the overall height of the tire (from tread to tread) is 2 TIMES the sidewall height plus the wheel diameter. {And you can convert mm to in or in to mm and work it out either way; doesn't matter.)

70% of 285 is 199.5mm. That is 7.85". That times 2 (top and bottom sidewall) is 15.7". Now add that to the wheel size and you get (17" wheel) 32.7" (the 33" tires on a 1500 Rebel (or any truck with 285 70R17 wheels and tires) If you use 75(%) as the aspect ration, you get 16.8" total sidewall and a tire height of 33.8" (34")

The only other difference in overall tire height is going to be one of two variables: first, air pressure in the tire, and second, load on the tires.

OP
OP
retired

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have to look at ALL of the numbers in a tire size to determine how "tall" they are. The first number (285 in this discussion) is the width of the tire in millimeters = 285 xxRxx tires are ALL 285 mm wide! Second number tells you the ASPECT ratio - how high the tire is in comparison to the width = *** 75 (%) (or 70% or etc)Rxx [The height of the sidewall changes with the width of the tire!] Of course, we all know that the "R" means "radial" and that the two numbers after it are the diameter of the wheel. Oh, and the overall height of the tire (from tread to tread) is 2 TIMES the sidewall height plus the wheel diameter. {And you can convert mm to in or in to mm and work it out either way; doesn't matter.)

70% of 285 is 199.5mm. That is 7.85". That times 2 (top and bottom sidewall) is 15.7". Now add that to the wheel size and you get (17" wheel) 32.7" (the 33" tires on a 1500 Rebel (or any truck with 285 70R17 wheels and tires) If you use 75(%) as the aspect ration, you get 16.8" total sidewall and a tire height of 33.8" (34")

The only other difference in overall tire height is going to be one of two variables: first, air pressure in the tire, and second, load on the tires.
On paper that is the way it works in real life NO. I have a bit of a tire addiction and you can take two tires in 285/75-17 in say a Cooper at3 and in a Toyo R/T and the Toyo will be much taller. you can take say a bfg Ko2 in 315/70-17 and a Cooper ST max in 315/70-17 and the ST Maxx will be taller. But on paper you are correct. I like real world stuff tho. Some brands tend to run truer to size. Nitto and Toyo generally do. Interco and Pitbull really run close to true marked on the side wall size and bfg generally run a little small.