Anyone’s Goodyear’s cracking/wearing ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The selling RAM dealer wouldn't address my issue of the truck shaking over 50 mph, said " that's what they do", we can't help you. The local Goodyear dealer, Discount Tire found the problem to be 4 defective Goodyear tires that they couldn't force balance to acceptable specs. I stood there while they easily handled it with 1 call to Goodyear explaining the issue and the next day I had 4 new upgraded tires!
It only cost $60 due to the upgrade to something better and truth be told, I got a $40 rebate card from Goodyear in the mail, lol

My advise, go directly to your local large tire dealer that sells a lot of Goodyear.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just took my SRA's of this morning at 27921 kms. Had shop install 4 new Michelin Defenders. Cost me 1392.00 out the door. I never liked these tires from the get go but thought I might get longer then I did. Left front punctured yesterday and had to be plugged so that was it for me. The 1 hour drive home with the new tires was quiet and smooth so if that continues I'll be very happy.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
The "brown stuff" on the tire is antioxidant that is put into the various compounds (of "rubber") in a tire. The "cracking" is called "checking" and it very often will not go beyond what you can see now. When it is in the overlay layers (the white stripe; and in the surface between the white and the bead), it is cosmetic. Sun and air pollution are major contributors to the problem. Occasionally, the checking will penetrate through the overlay layers and get into the casing itself. That, of course, is very bad news, so you have to keep an eye on things. Goodyear will act on that scenario. Goodyear also will sometimes adjust a tire for cosmetic reasons, since the whole point of the white stripe is for appearance. It is a matter of degree. Personally, I would put it this way: if you can see the checking while simply standing close to the vehicle, I'd ask Goodyear to make the call. If you have to bend over to see it and get really close to find it, you probably aren't going to get the response you want.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get responses in here guys!
Awesome.

OP
OP
Jstmahoney

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
So I just stopped by the Goodyear shop. No luck. They said the tires are fine. The cracking is normal. And if they get worse to come in. Said they have a 50,000 mileage/defects warranty. To come back in. So I guess I’ll wait and see. I’m too cheap to spend $1100 on tires I don’t Necessarily need.

2017 RAM 1500 Laramie 4X4 Crew
from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
If/when a replacement is made, it is a prorated replacement, except for a certain initial time or tread depth (I forget what it is) when Goodyear will make a no-charge adjustment for certain issues. After that, the adjustment cost is based on the current MSRP of that particular tire. If the mileage is much over half and/or the tread depth is much over half gone, it might be really close to buying them (or better tires) on sale. I have found that the Wrangler A/T loses quite a bit of its sure-footedness in snow if the tread depth is about half.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
So I just stopped by the Goodyear shop. No luck. They said the tires are fine. The cracking is normal. And if they get worse to come in. Said they have a 50,000 mileage/defects warranty. To come back in. So I guess I’ll wait and see. I’m too cheap to spend $1100 on tires I don’t Necessarily need.

Kinda figured they would not cover it. On the set of BF Goodrich tires that had the same issue, I was told the same thing. Basically, if cord was not showing they were not going to replace it.

Roncrawford67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went outside earlier today and noticed that they Goodyear’s on my Ram are starting to crack/wear on the sidewall towards the center. I know this is normal for tires to do, but I didn’t think this early, the truck is only over a year old. With 7,000mi. What do you think?
8a426806ebb503f43919d7ce74d33630.jpg33dc0fa42ed96d62b5dd05d6703cffd0.jpg

I believe there is a class action suit against dodge eco deseals, not sure if this fits it. Also my 96 did the same thing but I believe I caused it from running them on low pressure —-pre tire sensor—- take them to Goodyear and let the manager inspect them.

Big Blue Hemi

Keep on keeping on
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
Every time I purchased a used vehicle with Goodyear tires i immediately replace them. The only Goodyear tires I would consider are the newer Kevlar tires. My RAM has Cooper tires.

1DogFish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the dealer take the goodyears off and replace them with my Nitto's before I would take the truck. The way I drive those goodyears last about 7k miles and my Nitto's only had about 1k mikes on them.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
I believe there is a class action suit against dodge eco deseals, not sure if this fits it. Also my 96 did the same thing but I believe I caused it from running them on low pressure —-pre tire sensor—- take them to Goodyear and let the manager inspect them.
Checking is not caused by tire pressure. It's pretty much sun and air pollution. Occasionally, premature checking can be caused by insufficient antioxidant in the tire. The tipoff for that is that you don't ever see any of the brown on the tire that is the residue of the antioxidant doing its job.

Big Daddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ha, Ive seen this before. Check inside the treads. I had a set with 25K where they split all the way around the inside tread.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
Cracking in the channels (in the tread) is a different issue. It's not the same as or related to checking on the sidewall. If you see cracking in the channel(s), it's definitely something to go to Goodyear and show them.

OP
OP
Jstmahoney

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
They basically told me that it’s normal from heating up and Expanding and contracting in the cold/heat. They also told me to keep the air pressure to oem spec. I’m and if checking is from sun, that doesn’t make any since why the inside of the tires would be cracking too. I’m just gonna keep an eye on them and hope they get worse real fast so I can get rid of them lol.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
They basically told me that it’s normal from heating up and Expanding and contracting in the cold/heat. They also told me to keep the air pressure to oem spec. I’m and if checking is from sun, that doesn’t make any since why the inside of the tires would be cracking too. I’m just gonna keep an eye on them and hope they get worse real fast so I can get rid of them lol.

. . . and air pollution . . .. Not sunlight only, but the major contributors to checking are those two factors. Best practice is always tend to proper air pressure, but it does not affect checking. Then there's the issue of the amount of antioxidant in the tire, but again, that has nothing to do with the air pressure in the tire.

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I went outside earlier today and noticed that they Goodyear’s on my Ram are starting to crack/wear on the sidewall towards the center. I know this is normal for tires to do, but I didn’t think this early, the truck is only over a year old. With 7,000mi. What do you think?
8a426806ebb503f43919d7ce74d33630.jpg33dc0fa42ed96d62b5dd05d6703cffd0.jpg

Just an FYI... It's the tire. Goodyears suck. was told this by a reputable tire shop (here in BC, Canada we have a HUGE tire shop/retailer called KAL tire. (They fix, sell, EVERY brand of tire, and do mechanical work), and they told me Goodyears suck. Tread compound is too soft, so in turn they wear prematurely....but vehicle manufacturers use these tires because they are cheaper then many other brands.

Fishhaggis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Put KO2’s on my 2017 almost right after I bought it. Luckily the tire shop gave me something for those original tires. That wall cracking looks like an older tire sort of thing. Would be interesting to hear what Goodyear says about that sidewall cracking on a one year old tire.

OP
OP
Jstmahoney

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I miss my ko2’s I had on my 03. Why I didn’t have them switch them out??? I’m itching to buy some too. I was wanting the duratracs but I cannot get the LT tire unless I go up a size, and the price tag goes up $100 a tire. So I think I’ll stick to ko2’s

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My stockers are wearing fine. Lousy tire but I'll run them till worn.