Anyone Heard of the Inline 6 Turbo Going into the Ram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/11/no...nline-6-engine-with-ebooster-instead-of-a-v8/

Someone mentioned this to me the other day and had to find out if there was anything.

I know this should probably go in the 5th Gen section, but I don't usually hang there. There's probably a few threads here but only saw one that just said the end of the Hemi...

525HP out from a twin turbo inline 6 seems like a lot. Why don't they just drop a supercharger on the 5.7 or just put the 6.2 supercharged engine in the Ram?

It's probably old news but, surprised they'd go this route.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're probably going to a 6 cylinder to improve on fuel economy and emissions. Personally why not just go with a smaller more powerful NA V8? I don't have a problem with Turbodiesels since they have beefed up internals to handle that boost. I know that Ford says that you can run regular 87 in the Ecoboost engines but personally the idea of running anything less than premium in a turbo/supercharged application scares me. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Personally I haven't seen anything spectacular enough yet to make me want to upgrade my 2017 to something newer.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
My problem with these smaller boosted motors is that they only get better fuel mileage if you keep your foot out of it.
People like me wont get better fuel mileage out of them since they would be spooled up all the time.
I would just rather keep my N/A motor or boost my V8 ..lol

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My problem with these smaller boosted motors is that they only get better fuel mileage if you keep your foot out of it.
People like me wont get better fuel mileage out of them since they would be spooled up all the time.
I would just rather keep my N/A motor or boost my V8 ..lol

Chrysler had plans to build a V8 pentastar engine. Smaller displacement, better mpg and higher HP. It was shelved because the hemi engine is cheaper to build. Pentastar engines were designed so a turbo could easily be added during production. The V8 and added turbo all went out the window when fiat bought in.

Last edited:

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
The 5th Gen 1500 truck fascia is such a downer for me I haven't looked back at what Mopar is doing with the RAM trucks.

oh come on. you know you are atleast peaking at the TRX stuff. 700 horsepower in a 4wd truck with a warranty. Thats pretty badass. Granted if it comes out looking like a 2020 bighorn it will be a turn off. But the right bit of lift, wheel/tire package and a better grille will be a pretty nice truck. To me its a huge difference looking at a stock bighorn vs a stock limited or laramie. A laramie sport is pretty sweet looking.

But yes you are right, the 4th gen is a much better looking truck mod for mod

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 5th Gen 1500 truck fascia is such a downer for me I haven't looked back at what Mopar is doing with the RAM trucks.
Aw come on it’s not that bad is it? Granted it’s not better enough for me to want one at this point but that interior is top notch and believe it or not it does ride better than the 4th gen. The main reason I haven’t given them much thought is the fact that it has exactly the same powertrain. So why pay more money and in some cases a lot more money for the same performance.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Aw come on it’s not that bad is it? Granted it’s not better enough for me to want one at this point but that interior is top notch and believe it or not it does ride better than the 4th gen. The main reason I haven’t given them much thought is the fact that it has exactly the same powertrain. So why pay more money and in some cases a lot more money for the same performance.

I don't see my seats first thing when i open the garage, and i don't know what stock suspension feels like anymore. I've spent a couple of bucks in that regards to make it more capable compared to stock.

I've relaxed my position though. I kind of like white or black 5th gen 1500 trucks with same color bumpers. But i have no intentions at the moment of saying i may have one in the future like i could say i wish i had some extra money to buy a Jeep JLU Rubicon, Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Ford Raptor etc. Last RAM 1500 pickup truck i want is mine now and she's fully paid off :)

It's another downer the hi peformance suspension market and offroad market as a whole is not with the 5th gen RAM 1500 but it's more mature in the 4th gen so i'm more than happy for that one. I've been in the forum for 2 years and i'm still recovering from the fact that there is only 3-4 companies out there making rock sliders for these trucks. Toyota dominates that market followed by Ford because they have the Raptors, and Chevy now because they have the Colorado ZR2, Jeep tops all of them out by far. What do you see in the 5th Gen aftermarket? More brackets lifts with spacers, ranch bumpers and to a point fat wheels with wide little tires. Not exactly the market for the expedition/overlander type, and definetly not the one looking for dirt race setups.I'm happy because we have options for the kind of stuff i'm looking at doing with my 4th Gen RAM 1500 truck but a new 5th Gen one is not where i'll place my money next. Just my opinion of course.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OC455

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
They're probably going to a 6 cylinder to improve on fuel economy and emissions. Personally why not just go with a smaller more powerful NA V8? I don't have a problem with Turbodiesels since they have beefed up internals to handle that boost. I know that Ford says that you can run regular 87 in the Ecoboost engines but personally the idea of running anything less than premium in a turbo/supercharged application scares me. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Personally I haven't seen anything spectacular enough yet to make me want to upgrade my 2017 to something newer.

I agree with a smaller V8.

The EcoBoosts in the Fords put down some HP, but I've seen some of the other problems associated with the dual turbos. ie: Mostly the NYSP Ford Interceptor Utilities and Interceptors, I know that's a bit different than the trucks as they are used differently.

I've had a Raptor out accelerate me on one of the state highways up here, it was a bit humbling.

OP
OP
OC455

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine

Some of the monotone color (grille/ bumpers color matched) look good to me. I like the 2500/3500 5th Gens the way they look. Maybe a new 2500 Bighorn next?.....;)

south7west

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 LoneStar
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The power output on that inline 6, if it ends up being 525, sounds great. Unfortunately, I bought a truck to hear a V8 rumble. I still have yet to hear a V6 or an I6 that does it for me. I hope they still have some sort of V8 as an option in the future :(

OP
OP
OC455

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
Yup, that is the engine drawing that had in the article I posted. 3.0L dual turbo putting down 525HP, possibly....relying on an awful lot of boost to get that out of a 3.0L if that's the case. Unless they are upping the compression ratio???

Cool if they can do it, and I get the emissions stuff, but I think a matched supercharger on the 5.7L Hemi would be an awesome addition to the half ton segment. Realistically they could get a decent bump over 500HP with not much of a re-think...

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Yup, that is the engine drawing that had in the article I posted. 3.0L dual turbo putting down 525HP, possibly....relying on an awful lot of boost to get that out of a 3.0L if that's the case. Unless they are upping the compression ratio???

Cool if they can do it, and I get the emissions stuff, but I think a matched supercharger on the 5.7L Hemi would be an awesome addition to the half ton segment. Realistically they could get a decent bump over 500HP with not much of a re-think...
I think this would be pretty cool. Works well in the new Raptors right? Lol.

525hp shouldn't need that much boost. 3.0l and 6 cylinders is quite a lot of displacement really. Pair that with even 9.5:1 - 10.0:1 compression, and TWO turbos. One of which is electronic to eliminate lag. I bet if that thing comes to fruition it will be a max of 20psi.

I like the idea though. I had a raptor lurching behind me with some loud ass blow off valves. Sounded nasty. Exhaust sound sucks. But it's a trade off. Personally I love the sound of a turbo, but I could be biased. [emoji39]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think this would be pretty cool. Works well in the new Raptors right? Lol.

525hp shouldn't need that much boost. 3.0l and 6 cylinders is quite a lot of displacement really. Pair that with even 9.5:1 - 10.0:1 compression, and TWO turbos. One of which is electronic to eliminate lag. I bet if that thing comes to fruition it will be a max of 20psi.

I like the idea though. I had a raptor lurching behind me with some loud ass blow off valves. Sounded nasty. Exhaust sound sucks. But it's a trade off. Personally I love the sound of a turbo, but I could be biased. [emoji39]

Same here. I have a turbocharged mustang....but then again it’s an 8cyl with a big single turbo making about 1200hp.

So I’m lucky with that one that I have the v8 rumble with the turbo of which I love the sound of.

Long story short I’m completely onboard with a 6cyl turbo truck. If it’s got balls behind it then I can totally deal with losing the v8 sound with my truck Bc I feel like the turbo makes up for it.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
I can't get on board of the v6 truck. I want the big v8 that sounds like a v8. If I were all about performance for the vehicle then I agree a twin turbo v6 is great. But I am just looking for a daily driver with some power that has the sound along with it. A supercharged hemi would be great if you never had to worry about it ticking. That's a gamble. Built motor from mmx is another great option. But I think this thread is about the motor from manufacturer with warranty.

Let's just hope we all can be happy and they make both an option. Revise or update the hemi and offer the v6. We are all different and we all have different needs and wants. It would be nice to get what we want.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
I’m digging the idea, but I’m not digging the idea of having to replace turbos when they crap out $$$...
Well what would you rather replace? A couple of turbos.... or camshafts and lifters? Hahaha