Anyone Heard of the Inline 6 Turbo Going into the Ram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Well what would you rather replace? A couple of turbos.... or camshafts and lifters? Hahaha

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3 HEMI RAM’s, 1 HEMI Challenger, and I’ve never had a cam nor lifter issue. Meanwhile turbos are more likely to be replaced, sometimes more than once depending on driving habits and longevity..

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
3 HEMI RAM’s, 1 HEMI Challenger, and I’ve never had a cam nor lifter issue. Meanwhile turbos are more likely to be replaced, sometimes more than once depending on driving habits and longevity..
??? We should ask our HD truck residents, Turbos are not fast wearing items. In many cases Diesel engines for example can run for a lot longer than our Gas engines counterparts before they need an overhaul and i don't think they're replacing Turbos very often. I may be wrong i don't mean to say i'm a Turbo expert cause i'm not, but i've been around the racing scene as well for example and Turbo or Supercharger rebuilts are not something you worry about often as long as you're following the proper maintenance schedules and you're not cranking up the boost well beyond the unit max capabilities.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Turbo longevity has a lot to do with one's maintenance, driving habits and as any diesel truck owner knows proper warm up/cool down when working the snot out of them. It's nothing to see the turbo in an EcoDiesel running above 15-18 lbs of boost and north of 1000°F for hours on end while towing. Naysayers preached to expect having to replace it before 100K miles, have heard of very few turbos taking a dump.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If we put things in context we perhaps have more Hemi engines taking an early dump because of lifter issues than people replacing their Turbos in any factory Turbo application or even in modified rigs. And the failure occurence in the Hemis is low. I don't think we would have anything to worry about in a newer Turbo app other than perhaps the lack of V8 rumble. I wouldn't mind a Turbo 6, but it'll have to pump more power than my Hemi :) The HP difference will prob make for the lack of proper V8 sound so the bigger that HP difference the better. At least in my humble opinion/

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 3.5 Ecoboost lacks any appreciable sound, but I've heard a couple of the 2.7s that sounded pretty nice under acceleration. Dunno how an I6 will sound. Personally, if I was in the market, I'd opt for the new, improved power plant. I tow in the northwest, which includes plenty of mountains. A turbo would be welcome.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Chrysler had plans to build a V8 pentastar engine. Smaller displacement, better mpg and higher HP. It was shelved because the hemi engine is cheaper to build. Pentastar engines were designed so a turbo could easily be added during production. The V8 and added turbo all went out the window when fiat bought in.

That would be kinda cool; two more cylinders would bump the hp to what, 407hp? It would also be a 4.8L, which would be smaller... Actually getting like this idea.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Dunno how an I6 will sound.

Depends - on the old 4.0/4.2L Jeep I6 engines, they were fairly quiet... unless the exhaust manifold leaked. Then they sounded like diesels.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Didn’t they have a 4.7L I6? When i search for parts for my 4.7L V8 4.7L I6 parts sometimes show up.

Sent from my 2013 Magnum 4.7L V8

OP
OP
OC455

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
5.7L Hemi = 345ci Factory HP: 395HP 1.14HP per ci
3.0L I6 = 180-185ci Projected HP: 525HP 2.86HP per ci

So, 43.5ci per cylinder for the Hemi, about 30ci or 30.6ci per cylinder for the I6

Just looking at some numbers for S&G's.

OP
OP
OC455

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
5.7L Hemi = 345ci Factory HP: 395HP 1.14HP per ci
3.0L I6 = 180-185ci Projected HP: 525HP 2.86HP per ci

So, 43.5ci per cylinder for the Hemi, about 30ci or 30.6ci per cylinder for the I6

Just looking at some numbers for S&G's.

Rbertalotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Straight 6 / 4 cycle engines are inherently stable. RE Chrysler 170 Slant 6, GM 250 I6, Jaguar......Two of them is a V12...Nothing smoother.

Longevity of an I6 is legendary....Toyota, Chrysler, BMW, Jaguar.....Mercury outboard "tower of power"..... No engine can handle a turbo better than an 4 cycle I6 due to exhaust pulse timing.... Cummins 5.9-6.7, Cummins Marine and over the road I6 diesels.

A Twin turbo, I6, 4 cycle gas motor is a fabulous idea!

anchorsaweigh

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My problem with these smaller boosted motors is that they only get better fuel mileage if you keep your foot out of it.
People like me wont get better fuel mileage out of them since they would be spooled up all the time.
I would just rather keep my N/A motor or boost my V8 ..lol

There's no replacement for displacement.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I hope they don't! Turbo power curve is very impressive, if they size the turbo correctly it can build stupid tq off idle and have a fat flat tq curve and overall decent HP. My wifes CRV has the 1.5L earth dreams 4cyl with the turbo and I can feel and hear the turbo spool off idle and its got good acceleration for the small size motor. However Honda is having problems with fuel evaporation on the motor. Forward to something more truck based... the ford eco boosts are one of the worst motors ford ever produced, they make nice numbers new but the mileage isn't great. On top of that the turbos have inherent flaws causing expensive replacement costs before 30k. I had a electrical contractor redo the main panel in a house I was moving into (going from a 1960s 100amp panel to a square D 200amp!) he had a 2017 F150 sport platinum (highest level trim) and it had the eco boost V6. All he did was complain about his truck when he saw my ram and how he's looking to leave ford bc of this truck. The truck had like 40k on it and had the turbos replaced 3 times!!!! Meanwhile he's sitting in my driveway and I can see him burning oil out of his exhaust which he says he took it back to ford and they are refusing to replace the turbos again! My mom got a ford Flex and my father and I made sure she got the NA 6cyl vs the turbo 4 option a few years back bc we knew the turbos would never last and she hasn't had any issues.

Turbo combo's have more failure points, things are more acceptable to wear or miss use. OEM turbo setups are usually pretty well thought out but when you consider all that is involved with a turbo application you've just made the whole system a lot more complex. Just like an engine the turbo has bearings that operate on oil, the oil has to be lubricative enough at certain temps otherwise you can destroy the turbo. So think about the all the people (wife included) who jump in the car and start and if you lucky drive away in 1-2min. The oil that feeds the motor feeds the turbo and the turbo now has to SPOOL with cold motor oil bc it hasn't reached operating temps, then you have to factor in the oil protection film/barrier if its even available to allow the turbo to safely operate not just slow it down. The turbo has seals, bearings, a waste gate controller, a blow off valve, any EGR equipment then all the electronics to allow the system to work as intended (multiple MAP sensors for backup/redundancy). Then you have the cold side which will likely have a intercooler either an A2A or A2W (A2W has more electronics to fail) Thats a lot more failure points than a standard NA motor. Which is why Ford is fighting with so many repairs to there ecoboost lineup, the average person won't wait for the oil to come up to temp to help prolong turbo life, the systems have to contend with too many global variables (hot-cold climates) and the driver.

Also what people don't understand is that ANY gasoline engine will require the same amount of fuel to create the same HP! So a 400hp V8 will consume the same fuel as a 400hp 4cylinder, bc fuel consumption is consistent with output based on HP (NA application) Once BOOST is added fuel consumption increases per HP as the A/F mixture has to be richer to compensate for the added air and cylinder pressure. So a 400HP turbo 4cyl will use more FUEL than a 400hp NA V8... its just the math. The efficiency of a smaller displacement engine and turbo are only benefitted in light throttle cruising when your out of boost which if you use your truck like you should be using it then you will never be out of boost lol.

To hammer the point more with my own real world data. My wife and I drive the same route from CT to NJ to visit family and friends (90mile trip one way or 180 miles round trip) with 90% of it being highway 55+mph. Her car (honda CRV with 1.5L turbo) will average 30-34mpg round trip (her car is smaller, lighter (4k ish lbs) and more aerodynamic) going the same speed and route as we follow each other sometimes. My truck will average 21-24mpg depending on the wind (on summer blend fuel) but weighs 6K lbs and is shaped like a brick and thats in V8 mode ( I turn off MDS ). Her engine is 4.2L smaller than my engine and I have 2k more weight than hers and ALOT less aerodynamics yet we are within 10mpg of each other not to mention her car only makes 180hp I believe at redline. This is not an apples to apples comparison but you get the gist, if everything is equal (HP to HP) the turbo will only be more efficient at light throttle out of boost, MPG will decrease as rpm and boost increases.

Below is a few charts showing how only changing cylinders and going from NA to Turbo affects injector sizing/flow. You can also see is the same V8 NA vs turbo the turbo version still requires more fuel to make the same power. If Ram goes with a turbo 6cyl I will not be buying that ram for all the reason above.

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 9.55.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 9.54.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 10.08.29 AM.png

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Now I know someone is going to say NO way! So see below (fuel consumption is directly related to HP thats how they size injectors and can calculate HP via fuel usage).

A 400hp V8 NA will use the same fuel as a 400hp 4 cylinder NA. The 4cyl fuel injector size is double that of the V8 bc its half the size of the motor (4 cyl vs 8 cyl). So if you divide the 4cyl data by 2 its the same as the V8 since the V8 has 2x the cylinders (so it has to make less HP per cylinder), the 4cyl will have to make double the HP per cyl to equal the same power of a V8.

This is a very crude explanation as you would have to be doing ALOT for a 4cyl to make 400hp (boost) vs a V8 which is hardly doing any work, but its basic math is still correct.

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 10.21.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 10.21.03 AM.png

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
I think an I-6 with turbos makes perfect sense. The I-6 crank configuration gives wonderful torque and with only one rod per journal it also gives less crank flex for more longevity. 3.0 liters seems a bit small but if it has the power to pull the weight of the 6.4 Hemi it will surely beat the Hemi mpg by a bunch when not pulling.
As for turbo problems I don't see an issue because the newer turbos are very trouble free and much better than 20 or even 5 years ago. Good mpg and over 500 HP with a gasser would be a winner.

CYSTemrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 liter
Not at all interested in anything smaller than the 5.7 V8. A smaller engine has to work harder to do the same as a larger one and that equals more wear and more maintenance and more $$$$.

GRN69CHV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My wife has a 2016 Volvo XC60 T6, 3.0 L Turbo, rated 300HP at 5600, 325 TQ @ 2100. 100HP per Liter seems to be kinda standard on gas engines tuned to run on regular gas. To get 500 HP from a 3.0L straight 6, it's going to run some pretty significant boost. A bid advantage of a small displacement turbo is it doesn't need a very large turbo to generate boost, you can feel the torque hit early. Her car is AWD, curb weight is 4255-4300#, so with two passengers it's usually going down the road at about 4600-4700#, very responsive and with good power. And the straight six is just plain smooth.

A turbo straight six in a truck would be easy to package. Displacement? 3.0 Liter, little small in my opinion, but a 4.0 liter would easily put down 400HP / 450TQ on 87 octane and easily push 450-475HP with a tune and maybe still run on 90 octane fuel.

hoe...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The last of the Aussie Ford 4.0l turbo straight 6 motors put out 496 hp and 479 lb-ft of torque.

No reliability problems at all.

They were fitted to a sedan, but would be perfect in a 1500 size truck.

Not an eco boost, a motor that had been around for 20 odd years.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They're probably going to a 6 cylinder to improve on fuel economy and emissions. Personally why not just go with a smaller more powerful NA V8? I don't have a problem with Turbodiesels since they have beefed up internals to handle that boost. I know that Ford says that you can run regular 87 in the Ecoboost engines but personally the idea of running anything less than premium in a turbo/supercharged application scares me. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Personally I haven't seen anything spectacular enough yet to make me want to upgrade my 2017 to something newer.

This.....[emoji115][emoji115][emoji115][emoji115] Right here.

I don’t know, unless the higher-up’s over at ram trucks can come up with a better way to actually take a six cylinder motor with a turbo or two on it and actually make it to where you can get the horsepower and torque of a V-8 but get the fuel mileage of a 6, then maybe this will work but if not, I just don’t understand why all the Phord fan boys get so excited over that that eco-boost motor when it’s like what 69 said, the only way to get that motor to get good fuel mileage is that you have to keep your foot out of it. As I was always told along time ago, that motor may be called an eco.....boost..... but, I think there’s a very good reason why that word eco-boost is not all one word; you can’t get eco and boost at the same time. It’s either eco, or boost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk