Anyone in the mountains with eTorque and a winch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tnine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all,
I live in Denver, CO. My daily drive is usually through the city, and my weekends are highway + forest service roads in the mountains. I initially wanted to get a Gen 5 2019 Rebel without eTorque. However, I haven't spoke to anyone who actually has one and is doing city driving at higher altitudes.

Can anyone give me their MPG as well as performance using it? I'm somewhat concerned with it being a first gen new tech. I'll ultimately put a winch in my Rebel as well. It'd be great if I could get the 24v system to power a winch, but most likely wont' happen as all warns seem to be 12v.

Thanks,
Todd

OP
OP
T

Tnine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interestingly enough, if this video is accurate, it states the 12v battery is charged by the 48v system. (2:50 -> 3:15)

I wonder if this could then be used as an alternative to a larger battery to provide power to a 12v Warn Winch? In my 4runner I upgraded from my factory battery to an RV battery to have the additional capacity to power the winch without killing my alternator.

I'm reluctant to assume anything about this system, since I don't know how the charge control modules would react to a sudden drain load from the winch on the 12v system...

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
TRINE: E-Torque is 48 Volt System. Has an MGU, replaces alternator.

Now, to be honest, though nice option, and stuff, I am happy MY 19 is standard, just me I guess.....

Advertised to be able to run 12V systems for 10 minutes so as to not deplete the engine battery, running on the 430 Watt power pack which if I remember is mounted rear cab behind seat.. Now how that all is wired, and how U add accessories that U install, etc,,, BEYOND this Boird's capability....

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
TRINE: E-Torque is 48 Volt System. Has an MGU, replaces alternator.

Now, to be honest, though nice option, and stuff, I am happy MY 19 is standard, just me I guess.....

Advertised to be able to run 12V systems for 10 minutes so as to not deplete the engine battery, running on the 430 Watt power pack which if I remember is mounted rear cab behind seat.. Now how that all is wired, and how U add accessories that U install, etc,,, BEYOND this Boird's capability....

You are definitely not alone, I really hope this stays optional as its not anything I would want. Same with the start/stop stuff, no thanks. I like a lot of the other tech stuff but I'll take the drive train as is.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I opted to pass on e-torque

OP
OP
T

Tnine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I agree with you guys on the risk of eTorque. I put in a question to Ram customer service to see the 48v > 12v system has specs to handle a spike to 457 amps.

https://warn.blob.core.windows.net/warn/0002578_vr12-s-winch_625.png

The eTorque also has potential for the "overland" applications. When I'm camping with the fam, I wonder if that capacity can be used to power lights, chargers etc? Again, this question is in to the Ram customer support team. I'll post the results once I hear back.

I have an EE and CS degree, though I only do enough EE work to be dangerous :) I'm always leery of anything that's the first production run of gen 1 tech. Everyone does their best to ensure it's reliable and durable, but you just don't understand some design trade offs until your product has been in use a few years. Thankfully, the cost of gas isn't really a factor for me, so I'm inclined to stick with a drive train that's existed for years, and just buy a big ass RV battery to replace the factory one. It's an approach I've taken before, and I know it'll work.

Has anyone done a battery upgrade with the 5.7 Hemi? Any gotchas or limitations on where the battery mounts to increase it's size?

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thankfully, the cost of gas isn't really a factor for me, so I'm inclined to stick with a drive train that's existed for years, and just buy a big ass RV battery to replace the factory one. It's an approach I've taken before, and I know it'll work.

That would seem to be to be the most logical approach. In that scenario especially, I'd much rather go with the proven method you know will work, rather than be the guinea pig and risk who knows what.

Pribilof

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have NO etorque. 100% urban city driving (City of Denver, no suburbs, no highway) I get 9.4 mpg. Please note that I do use remote start for 5 minutes once a day. I only have 660 or so miles on the truck. 2019 Rebel hemi, crew cab, Rebel 12, all options except etorque.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this is of topic but I'm selling a Warn winch anyhow the e-torque to me isn't worth it just my $0.02