Anyone know where I could get replacement bolt?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaliBear490

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was installing the stock running boards on my 2011 Ram and noticed one of the bolts at the bottom of the frame is missing. Was wondering if anyone knew where I could buy a replacement.

The picture is of the bolt on the other sideIMG_1732.jpeg

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Assuming you have another vehicle or buddy to drive you, remove the bolt on the one side and see if you can match it up at a hardware store. Keep in mind that the critical factors are length and the right thread diameter and pitch (just see what size nut will spin on it to figure that out). You don't necessarily need the flange head (just get a washer) and I wouldn't be surprised if the other end is tapered (just used to make installation at the factory easier).

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The cab isn't going to fall off w/o that bolt in it (till you get another one)... lol

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Isn't that a body bolt. How the heck is it missing? Those things are torqued pretty good and long. I needed a breaker bar to loosen mine when I installed my bars.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Isn't that a body bolt. How the heck is it missing? Those things are torqued pretty good and long. I needed a breaker bar to loosen mine when I installed my bars.
Not unusual for one to get missed during assembly at the Michigan plant. Build quality tjere is not spectacular. The Mexican plant where the HDs are built actually has a much higher build quality score.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
It sure looks like a Body Bolt

Unthread that nut, see if what ever is above it, is just a Fender Washer or a special piece of hardware
1696554636886.png
1696555655485.png
Take the nut to any hardware store, every hardware store has a board with Nuts & Studs, permanently mounted to it.
thread the nut onto a stud,
It will let you know a few things, whether it is SAE or Metric & what the thread count is.
That leaves the Hardness of the metal, it will not be a #3, which would be for things like furniture.
that leaves #5 or #8, whenever i am working with thicker metals, like the frame of a vehicle, i just use #8 Bolts, Studs, & Nuts

If you have a Fastenal Store near you, you might take a picture, similar to the one that you posted above & show it to the clerk & hopefully he has mechanical experience & can point you in the right direction.

Last edited:

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
Some scumbag probably needed one and snatched it in a parking lot.I'm ready for the day I catch it happening to my truck.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's possible. The word is, internet theiving rings have stopped stealing cats, and moved on to cab mount bolts. The zinc plating on the bolts isn't as valuable as the rodentium and pollutium metals, but there are a lot more bolts out there which makes up for it.... And they don't have a serial number on them, therefore impossible to trace. But a couple weeks ago manufacturers convened in Geneva Switzerland and the word is they might soon roll out a cab mount bolt serial number campaign soon. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

:favorites13:

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure what "nut" you are supposed to pull off and match up???? I would assume it's just a bolt that runs up into a thread insert in the cab. However thinking about it again the big washer on the bottom of the body bushing is probably gone also. If that is the case you will probably need to order a replacement from the dealer or a Mopar specific parts place.

See if the below link works. It's a parts diagram from a Mopar website that shows the body holddowns (bolts). See what position but guessing maybe item #7?

https://www.moparfactoryparts.com/v...8-gas/frame-bumper-and-fascia--body-hold-down

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was installing the stock running boards on my 2011 Ram and noticed one of the bolts at the bottom of the frame is missing. Was wondering if anyone knew where I could buy a replacement.

The picture is of the bolt on the other sideView attachment 529603
I'm not sure you'd find a bolt like that in a hardware store, and I couldn't find and spec's for those bolts, (ie: grade, thread, finish). Maybe Tractor Supply??

As with other makes that use one-time fasteners, the service Ram manual states: "Do not reuse these fasteners. If removed, a new fastener must be installed and tightened to specification."

My suggestion would be to obtain a factory bolt and washer.

Torque setting are 80 ft. lbs. for A & B-pillar cab mounting bolts. 97 ft. lbs. for C-pillar bolts.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 99660 miles.

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I'm not sure you'd find a bolt like that in a hardware store, and I couldn't find and spec's for those bolts, (ie: grade, thread, finish). Maybe Tractor Supply??

As with other makes that use one-time fasteners, the service Ram manual states: "Do not reuse these fasteners. If removed, a new fastener must be installed and tightened to specification."

My suggestion would be to obtain a factory bolt and washer.

Torque setting are 80 ft. lbs. for A & B-pillar cab mounting bolts. 97 ft. lbs. for C-pillar bolts.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 99660 miles.

Can you explain to me in plain language exactly what makes a fastener a "one time use" fastener. Thanks.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can you explain to me in plain language exactly what makes a fastener a "one time use" fastener. Thanks.
Usually an engineer will determine that in a particular application the torque characteristics of the bolt will have changed after it has been initially torqued. In most cases these are typically Torque-to-yield (TTY) fasteners which stretch after torqueing. In some applications a bolt or nut will have a specialty anti-corrosion material applied to the threads which are defeated upon removal, necessitating a new fastener.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 99687 miles.

Ralph Mauro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just a suggestion if you haven't already checked to make sure the bolt is indeed missing and didn't break off inside.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
TTY (torque to yield) bolts generally aren't used for cab mounts. You will find them used on parts that have very critical torque specs like heads on engines and such, and they are used there because of the quicker assembly time. In regards to the comment about not re-using bolts, that is pretty common language from the manufacturer for any bolt because of liability reasons.
As far as replacing the cab bolt, don't over think it! It doesn't have to be the EXACT same style bolt if you are in a pinch and need to get one at the hardware store.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are a few Y/T videos where they illustrate what happens when ya try to re-use TTY bolts. They fail real quick the 2nd time. So don't re-use. I'm talking engine bolts here. The biggest headache for TTY bolts is ya have to buy new each time. Sometimes that can add up to a significant expense ya didn't have in the old days.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
TTY (torque to yield) bolts generally aren't used for cab mounts. You will find them used on parts that have very critical torque specs like heads on engines and such, and they are used there because of the quicker assembly time. In regards to the comment about not re-using bolts, that is pretty common language from the manufacturer for any bolt because of liability reasons.
As far as replacing the cab bolt, don't over think it! It doesn't have to be the EXACT same style bolt if you are in a pinch and need to get one at the hardware store.
There are only a few places in the service manual that specifically call out to use new bolts upon reassembly. The other that comes to mind are cylinder head bolts. So there must be a reason even if it seem obscure to us.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 99687 miles.