Anyone regret going from bench to buckets with the fixed center console?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramtastico

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Warlock
Engine
3.6l
Anyone move from the 3 across front seat to the 2 seater with fixed console?

If so would love your thoughts... any regrets? Was it a non event... did you like it better?

I think the bench is a perfect design for a truck... no knocking the knee on anything, room for a 3rd passenger in front if needed or throw a soft cooler in the open space for road trips etc. If I was to order a truck... would be the bench.. but some rebates going on right now save me 10k vs ordering new- and with the xtras i want on a big horn... it's all buckets/console.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Other than the 3rd passenger up front I see no benefit to the bench. I have a bench because I need that extra seating but if it wasn't for that I would have the console. Putting a cooler or something in the middle could be dangerous if it fell over under your feet.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Here's the way I see it, if I was buying a regular cab I'd want a bench seat just in case I ever needed to carry a 3rd person. But if I was buying a QC or CC I can't see needing that extra seat. If you can see yourself needing the extra seat or you really want a spot for your cooler, you should order one with that if you can't find one on a lot anywhere.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
The footwell on the passinger side is already tight. At least with the bench seat, the passenger can move their feet around, with the full center console they can't. That large hump in my 2021, 2500, is the only major thing I don't like about this new truck. My 1996 has way better floor space on the passenger side.

Buford Boone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
In 2008 I ordered an F150 with a bench seat. Every dealer said they could find what I wanted until I specified the package (Laramie?) with a bench seat. One politely asked me why I preferred a bench seat.

"So my bird dog can sit beside me" - fair enough.

In 2016 I replaced that truck with a used F150 that had bucket seats. By that time, my bird dog mostly slept in the back seat, anyway.

I got used to the bucket seats and console and don't have any problem with that setup.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I don't regret it, but it's not been a big deal either way. I very seldom, like maybe 3-4 times in 10 years, had 6 people in my old truck. I have a lot more storage space now, but I don't have that much stuff to store.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
My 2019 Laramie had the fixed console and, while I liked the storage I disliked the bucket seats.
When I ordered my Power Wagon one of the main reasons I didn't go with the 75th model is so I could have the bench. ( And a floor 4WD shift)

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I like my fixed center console and glad I ordered my truck with it. Lots of storage. I have the crew cab so plenty of room for all.

Red

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Specifically ordered the bench. Didn't see any point in spending all that money and having a less capable truck. The bench gives me more room for my legs, it's a little cleaner/neater, can be flipped up to carry a small passenger, or allows you to snuggle with your wife. No downsides for me, other than possibly tiny bit less storage/cargo room but I keep my truck clean and neat, I already have more room that way than I could possibly need.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
my last truck without buckets was a '79 dodge 1500.

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
I’ve got the folding jump seat up front. Most times it’s folded down and severs as a center console. When needed, it folds up as a jump seat - works for the dog or the grandkids, whoever gets in first…..

Daniel Ortiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi V8
@Ramtastico I saw you've made your choice, but thought your original question was a good one. I've got a 2017 Quad Cab with the bench seat in front, and I have spent more hours than I would like sleeping across that front bench, which would be impossible in the truck without it (I have two kid seats buckled in the back seat). Plus I sometimes like to let my boy sit in the middle front seat to give him a little thrill (he's 3) when we're driving somewhere close by. I'd miss those things for sure. But if those factors weren't there, I don't see it being a big deal, other than losing my feeling of nostalgia of the old ways.

OP
OP
R

Ramtastico

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Warlock
Engine
3.6l
@Daniel Ortiz you know... nostalgia... maybe that's part of it. I used to sit with grandpa in his regular cab f150 driving down the dirt road by their house. I still prefer that bench for leg room and like the fact i can flip the arm rest out of the way when needed... but the good memories probably play into it as well.

Grimmcanuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Other than the 3rd passenger up front I see no benefit to the bench. I have a bench because I need that extra seating but if it wasn't for that I would have the console. Putting a cooler or something in the middle could be dangerous if it fell over under your feet.

I've used the 3rd seat on 3 occasions in my 4th Gen QC. Anyone larger than a 7yo skinny kid will not fit comfortably.

Going to be purchasing the parts needed to install the centre console pretty soon.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
I always loved and preferred the full console, I could only get a bench in my tradesman and I am used to it now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357