Anyone regret leveling their 1500? Why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Leveled my last 2 rams with bilstein’s at 2.1. Do I need it? Absolutely not, but to me it looks way better.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
To BTD07,

Whoah...I never said anyone did or did not "deserve" to buy a truck. Nor did I "call out" anyone. I merely asked one member why his stock rake was "killing" him. Then I made some general observations, based solely on responses by posters in this very thread, who listed negatives of "leveling" that they'd experienced, just as the OP requested them to. "The end."

And you're wrong, as my four-door, 4x4, 8' bed truck is not a "work truck," as you allege. Rather, it is the vehicle I need to move the things I need to move, in the most efficient manner possible. Therefore, contrary to what you ASSUME, my truck is like yours, and you are wrong when you (falsely) allege that it "...cannot really be compared to a truck people treat well and customize." (It's spotless, door-ding free at 42,000 miles, and I'm currently working on $7,000. worth of mods, not including audio, none of which include changing the truck's stance, paint, or other, non-functional aspects.)

Why no changes to suspension/tires? Because I don't think I'm smarter than the engineers and designers who spent millions of dollars tuning the entire package, for the best compromise of load carrying, handling and ride comfort, etc.... If folks feel otherwise about themselves and their trucks, then I hope they're right.

But...if you're going to start putting words in people's mouths, and making false accusations, then unfortunately, I'm deleting the detailed response I had made to a number of folks who responded thoughtfully and seriously to me, because I've learned (admittedly, too slowly--LOL) not to take the bait. I left high school behind decades ago....

Play games if you want to, BTD07, but without me. I was asking a serious question, and commenting based on the serious responses the OP got to his question. And credit to the OP for asking his question, as I suspect "leveling" is (at least partially) popular due to peer pressure/group-think, based on changing tastes due to generational differences (as opposed to any real world benefits--unless people consider being able to stuff oversized tires under their "leveled" truck to be a "benefit"--of course, for serious off-roaders/rock crawlers, leveling would be an actual benefit).

At least the OP had the critical-thinking skills to ask his question, before simply following the herd, and possibly being dissatisfied with the result.

Peace Out.

Just a suggestion. .

don't make it personal.

Seriously, all of these posts are little more than the writing on a **** house wall.
When actually face to face, tthat's the time be aggressive.

Carry on . . . .

OP
OP
Yellow dog 55

Yellow dog 55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Mines going up. Sounds like there are multiple advantages for me. Most importand being that it looks cool and it sounds like girls will throw their panties at me as I cruise by. Thanks for replies. I’ve done things in the past and regretted them immediately. Glad to hear Not one person has regretted their level. My next question is about wheel spacers LOL!

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Only regret was not going with 1.75" lol

No issues here, but I did not lvl the truck, I only did 1.4" front lift, I like a little rake and being able to haul **** in the bed with out being nose high.

I have air backs to install still to help while hauling.

Rader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
Mines going up. Sounds like there are multiple advantages for me. Most importand being that it looks cool and it sounds like girls will throw their panties at me as I cruise by. Thanks for replies. I’ve done things in the past and regretted them immediately. Glad to hear Not one person has regretted their level. My next question is about wheel spacers LOL!

LOL Spacer always get a rise. Post 2.5" leveling lift.... to mount winter tires I purchased a set of 17X8" OEM Dodge wheels that were stock on some earlier Dodge 1500s. The tires = BFG AT KO2 315/70R17 They are wide so so for clearance I installed 1 1//4" spacers all around, I have zero rubbing even when driving trails.

One other thing of note...even though the 17" BFGs are heavier, higher rated tires with more plies because they have more inches of sidewall they ride softer than the P275/60R20 Goodyear Wrangler stock tires that came on my truck. When I buy new 20" tires I am stepping up to tires around 35" diameter.

Last edited:

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree, there is NO purpose for that. Around here, it's all high school kids doing it. If someone knows of a practical reason for it, please let us know.

I was told..."Fat Girls can't jump" was the reason..........................:33:

Seriously tho, I have yet to see a logical & valid reason for it other than "I wanted to".

I don't level mine, as it use to tow a boat quite regularly (like every weekend & sometimes weekdays too), and I don't like the way a 'leveled truck' looks when towing.

On the silverado I had previously, I did level it some, but maintained a slight rake so when towing, it did not drop below level.

And yes, peer pressure, or the "I want to be like mike" syndrome does lead to a lot of this stuff.

Speaking of.......Neighbor traded a toyota p.u worth maybe 1500 bucks for a tahoe worth 6-7,000 cuz the guy wanted a toyota like his bro's. He later traded that tahoe for a brand new 70' driveway and 20' x 22' foundation for his new garage. True Story.

Last edited:

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
One reason plain and simple, more GC.

Ever drive out in a pasture that had terraces on it and drive over it ?
With as low as these Ram set in the front stock they hit the frame real fast just driving through a pasture.

I dont go "mud" or take my truck rock crawling but needed it to set more like my 07 2500 did and it does now.

I dont like it when hauling with a leveled truck and its front high either and thats one reason why I run my air bags with 25psi or so, if I did not have the bags I would install 1.5" rear spacers.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seriously tho, I have yet to see a logical & valid reason for it other than "I wanted to".

I don't level mine, as it use to tow a boat quite regularly (like every weekend & sometimes weekdays too), and I don't like the way a 'leveled truck' looks when towing.

On the silverado I had previously, I did level it some, but maintained a slight rake so when towing, it did not drop below level.

And yes, peer pressure, or the "I want to be like mike" syndrome does lead to a lot of this stuff.

I lifted mine because I live in Houston and need the height for when it rains. We all have our reasons so don’t judge

70ADCF7D-AC60-4A57-ABE1-FFDD8BEE7A1D.jpeg

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I lifted mine because I live in Houston and need the height for when it rains. We all have our reasons so don’t judge

View attachment 128004

Maybe you should take you own advice, and understand what the post you're commenting on is really about.

I was commenting on the nose high tail low lifts some people use......not a lift or leveling in general.

Also not judging anyone, simply said I have been offered no logical reason.

Here's the whole chain.... Pistol, MagicMike74, then me

Leveled my truck with Billstien 5100s. If I remember correctly I took about a .5 mpg hit.

For Aries Rising, I did it for looks. I do not like the forward rake on trucks and I personally don't understand why anyone would choose to drive around with their truck looking that way. I also don't understand why manufacturers set the trucks up that way instead of properly setting them up using the correct springs or air ride suspensions. Now, I bought my truck to be a daily driven way to get back and forth to where I need to go and have the option to haul and tow things when needed. If I needed a truck for nothing but full time hauling and/or, I would likely have an 8' bed but I would also likely have a diesel 3/4 ton truck.

Another thing I just do not understand is people who put the rake rearward. Around here they call it "bulldog", I call it stupid looking.

I agree, there is NO purpose for that. Around here, it's all high school kids doing it. If someone knows of a practical reason for it, please let us know.

I was told..."Fat Girls can't jump" was the reason..........................:33:

Speaking of.......Neighbor traded a toyota p.u worth maybe 1500 bucks for a tahoe worth 6-7,000 cuz the guy wanted a toyota like his bro's. He later traded that tahoe for a brand new 70' driveway and 20' x 22' foundation for his new garage. True Story.

So you are trying to claim you lifted your truck because of the rain in houston, and you use a 100 yr flood pic as an example.

Really ?????....................

Last edited:

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love the ignore feature

Last edited:

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Doesn't surprise me.....pretty judgmental for someone who tells others not to judge.

You jump on someone for no reason, and when they call you on it, you just play dumb.

Great way to go thru life.....blinders on full.....but to each his own.

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I leveled mine then put airlift airbags on the back so it wouldn’t squat in the back when I tow. OH THE HUMANITY.

99 percent of things I do to my truck came from other people, mainly on this forum. So yes, I’ve done a lot of stuff cause I’ve seen other people do it and I liked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yortnodnarb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Exactly, everybody does everything they do because they've seen it somewhere else and liked it. Hairstyles, clothing choices, music, home décor and yes even truck mods. Originality is something that's near impossible in 2018, but saying guys are peer pressured into truck mods is complete horse ****.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
People often do things as a result of peer pressure, and don't even realize it.

markusaf81 - Ok, that works for you, but I didn't feel like spending money on a level kit, then more money on airbags, just to be able to do what I could do to begin with without spending any money at all if I just left it stock. The way my truck is used, I don't need to lift it at all. I have a 2 jeeps for those type ventures, and a WDH works fine for when I tow heavy (25' long 6500 lb camper).

yortnodnaRB - No one said people were pressured into mods, but I did give an example of just such behavior, and did say it does happen. I have also seen guys who got tired of being ribbed about their old or *** brand truck, who then got a new one that fit in with the rest of their friends.

Just because you haven't seen or experienced it, doesn't mean it is horse crap or not true.

I myself bought a chevy once because I liked the way it looked, AND I knew my friends were more chevy guys than dodge guys......it worked great for a few years, then I ended up trading it in cuz it had problems that the dealer refused to even check, much less fix, and were 100% warranty covered items.

And not everything a person does is because they saw someone else do it, otherwise nothing would ever change. Someone had to do it 1st, for someone else to see it and follow.......

Just like the light bar craze....99.9% of the people who install them have no need or use for them (or even a 4x4 truck for that matter), they do it for looks more than need just to be like their friends or to show off. I am not pinging on guys who have one or saying there is anything wrong with it, it's their truck, they can do what they want with it. I am simply stating fact....most don't need one and put it on for looks alone. There is even a guy around these parts that put one on the roof of a nissan maxima and uses it to blind people who are driving slower in front of him....and yes, I have seen him do it.

I have a friend at work who has a lifted jeep, and keeps putting mods and such on it, but it has never and per his own admission, will likely never leave the pavement. He does it cuz he likes the way it looks after having seen others with lifted jeeps. Again, the 'I want to be like mike' syndrome.

Anyway, we all do what we do for our own reasons.....for some it is to be like others.....some it is just to show off.....some it is for pure function. Either way, there are reasons, and whether or not you believe it, pressure or influence from your friends or others, is usually part of it. That my friend, is peer pressure, or the desire to 'fit in'.

I definitely don't 'fit in', as the only mods I've done to my truck are for pure function:

1) side steps to help me get in with my past injuries

2) hard tonneau cover so I can lock stuff up in the bed

3) catch can cuz I have had a throttle body blade stick in the mid position on a vehicle before from oil & vapors being recycled thru to get burned & gumming throttle body the walls up with varnish

I personally liked the way it looked when I got it, so no need for me to change it.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
99 percent of things I do to my truck came from other people, mainly on this forum. ....

I know!

Some ****** comes up with a great idea, then I go "Holy Sh*t, that's Awesome! Why didn't I think of that?!"
Then I got to go out and get all the stuff so I can do it to my truck.

This forum is kinda like that Kama Sutra book.
I see something and my first thought is " I got to try that too!"
Then, once I actually do it, I go "Oh, Yeah. That was great! What's next?"

hemipwrd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I regret it only because now I wish I put a 4” lift on it from the beginning. It definitely looks better then stock though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

allblack14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Did mine in 2014 the first week I got it so I didn't have a chance to see if mileage dropped, but I've had no issues at all.

jdavila99999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
43adf678a0b9b4ff474b98df9f426abf.jpg

Level love

jdavila99999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To each his own .
I did it for ground clearance plain and simple .
.5 rake at the rear now .
Towing my 29’ travel trailer with no issues .
[emoji111]️[emoji1303][emoji2]

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357