Anyone regret leveling their 1500? Why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yellow dog 55,

May I ask why the stock rake is "killing" you? And this isn't just directed at you; rather, I hope others will chime in too, and tell me, once and for all, if this "leveling" is done purely for looks, or not.

Because, as Scott McD (correctly) states beloow, there's a reason trucks have the rear higher than the front, i.e.:

I mean, do you guys have trucks merely as a lifestyle statement, or because you NEED a truck?
Either is a personal choice, but I'm just genuinely confused as to why anyone would partially defeat their truck's designed-in load-carrying ability for any reason, let alone looks?

And it's not just Dodge fans--Tundra folks do it to (with Bilsteins, no less).

And I just don't get it. In my world, as in (most) racing, FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION. And if it's pure aesthetics we're talking about, the traditional, "ass-high" rake on a truck looks GOOD to me, as it reflects the truck's purpose, i.e., to haul **** you can't haul with a car.

And yet in just this short thread (and credit to the OP for asking!) we see some of the "benefits" of "leveling" such as:

1) reduced gas mileage;
2) more entrance/egress difficulty;
3) less stability in high winds;
4) less comfortable ride
5) increased tire noise (though I can't dope out why that would be....)

I just don't get it. But I also don't understand why people buy trucks with less than 8' boxes, other than the fact that the manufacturers seem too out of touch with their market to offer them, in most cases, with the other options buyers insist on.

Thanks,

Aries Rising
Theres a reason you have your truck and I have mine, we have different tastes and preferences. There really isnt any reason to call anyone out for leveling their truck because YOU like the rake or think youre not a 'real' truck guy if you dont have an 8 foot bed, a 3" rake and a fully loaded bed all the time..Which by the way doesnt sound like anyones everyday truck and if it is you have a work truck that is used as a business vehicle and cannot really be compared to a truck people treat well and customize. You made your own argument invalid when you said that your own opinion is it looks better/is better not leveled. Those of us who have our trucks level, disagree. I would never buy an 8 foot bed truck and keep factory rake because a) I have no need for it, and b) It doesnt look appealing to me. That doesnt mean I dont 'deserve' to buy a truck, it just means I want a DIFFERENT truck than you. But that doesnt make either right, its all what we want for our own truck. The end.

MagicMike74

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Sport R/T RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another thing I just do not understand is people who put the rake rearward. Around here they call it "bulldog", I call it stupid looking.

I agree, there is NO purpose for that. Around here, it's all high school kids doing it. If someone knows of a practical reason for it, please let us know.

SuthrnRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I agree, there is NO purpose for that. Around here, it's all high school kids doing it. If someone knows of a practical reason for it, please let us know.

Ur truck looks awesome! I've always loved the regular cabs!

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I did mine for looks and a better ride.

Mine dont squat if I dont want it to as it has 1211s Tuftruck springs and Timber Grove air bags with a Hellwig sway bar .

Its a truck and should look like one to me, to me in my opinion. :) it did not set high enough and had way to much rake to it, they have that much rake because the factory aprings are way to soft and allows for to much squat.
jmo

OP
OP
Yellow dog 55

Yellow dog 55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yellow dog 55,

May I ask why the stock rake is "killing" you? And this isn't just directed at you; rather, I hope others will chime in too, and tell me, once and for all, if this "leveling" is done purely for looks, or not.

Because, as Scott McD (correctly) states beloow, there's a reason trucks have the rear higher than the front, i.e.:

I mean, do you guys have trucks merely as a lifestyle statement, or because you NEED a truck?
Either is a personal choice, but I'm just genuinely confused as to why anyone would partially defeat their truck's designed-in load-carrying ability for any reason, let alone looks?

And it's not just Dodge fans--Tundra folks do it to (with Bilsteins, no less).

And I just don't get it. In my world, as in (most) racing, FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION. And if it's pure aesthetics we're talking about, the traditional, "ass-high" rake on a truck looks GOOD to me, as it reflects the truck's purpose, i.e., to haul **** you can't haul with a car.

And yet in just this short thread (and credit to the OP for asking!) we see some of the "benefits" of "leveling" such as:

1) reduced gas mileage;
2) more entrance/egress difficulty;
3) less stability in high winds;
4) less comfortable ride
5) increased tire noise (though I can't dope out why that would be....)

I just don't get it. But I also don't understand why people buy trucks with less than 8' boxes, other than the fact that the manufacturers seem too out of touch with their market to offer them, in most cases, with the other options buyers insist on.

Thanks,

Aries Rising
It’s killing me because it looks terrible to me sitting next to my coworkers leveled ram 1500 everyday. I also would like to have the extra clearance for the front as I drive this truck on sandy beaches surf fishing. I don’t tow with this truck, but I do occasionally haul my welding equipment with it. It’s about 800lbs all together. So for me, it not only would be functional but it will also look way better...too me.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Zero regrets for me as well Sir .

14 Ram 4x4 QC
Leveled with Bilsteins 5100s @ +2.8" and 1.5" coil spacers in the back .fc701b3a6b2d5a76dac13b0875c1416f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Aries Rising

Reaction score
Ram Year
199?
Engine
Theres a reason you have your truck and I have mine, we have different tastes and preferences. There really isnt any reason to call anyone out for leveling their truck because YOU like the rake or think youre not a 'real' truck guy if you dont have an 8 foot bed, a 3" rake and a fully loaded bed all the time..Which by the way doesnt sound like anyones everyday truck and if it is you have a work truck that is used as a business vehicle and cannot really be compared to a truck people treat well and customize. You made your own argument invalid when you said that your own opinion is it looks better/is better not leveled. Those of us who have our trucks level, disagree. I would never buy an 8 foot bed truck and keep factory rake because a) I have no need for it, and b) It doesnt look appealing to me. That doesnt mean I dont 'deserve' to buy a truck, it just means I want a DIFFERENT truck than you. But that doesnt make either right, its all what we want for our own truck. The end.

To BTD07,

Whoah...I never said anyone did or did not "deserve" to buy a truck. Nor did I "call out" anyone. I merely asked one member why his stock rake was "killing" him. Then I made some general observations, based solely on responses by posters in this very thread, who listed negatives of "leveling" that they'd experienced, just as the OP requested them to. "The end."

And you're wrong, as my four-door, 4x4, 8' bed truck is not a "work truck," as you allege. Rather, it is the vehicle I need to move the things I need to move, in the most efficient manner possible. Therefore, contrary to what you ASSUME, my truck is like yours, and you are wrong when you (falsely) allege that it "...cannot really be compared to a truck people treat well and customize." (It's spotless, door-ding free at 42,000 miles, and I'm currently working on $7,000. worth of mods, not including audio, none of which include changing the truck's stance, paint, or other, non-functional aspects.)

Why no changes to suspension/tires? Because I don't think I'm smarter than the engineers and designers who spent millions of dollars tuning the entire package, for the best compromise of load carrying, handling and ride comfort, etc.... If folks feel otherwise about themselves and their trucks, then I hope they're right.

But...if you're going to start putting words in people's mouths, and making false accusations, then unfortunately, I'm deleting the detailed response I had made to a number of folks who responded thoughtfully and seriously to me, because I've learned (admittedly, too slowly--LOL) not to take the bait. I left high school behind decades ago....

Play games if you want to, BTD07, but without me. I was asking a serious question, and commenting based on the serious responses the OP got to his question. And credit to the OP for asking his question, as I suspect "leveling" is (at least partially) popular due to peer pressure/group-think, based on changing tastes due to generational differences (as opposed to any real world benefits--unless people consider being able to stuff oversized tires under their "leveled" truck to be a "benefit"--of course, for serious off-roaders/rock crawlers, leveling would be an actual benefit).

At least the OP had the critical-thinking skills to ask his question, before simply following the herd, and possibly being dissatisfied with the result.

Peace Out.

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To BTD07,

Why no changes to suspension/tires? Because I don't think I'm smarter than the engineers and designers who spent millions of dollars tuning the entire package, for the best compromise of load carrying, handling and ride comfort, etc.... If folks feel otherwise about themselves and their trucks, then I hope they're right.

Peace Out.

You left out one of the most important things the designers and engineers must work with. That would be cost.

It is proven that there are effective upgrades to the suspension and tires.

I ask when it is time to replace either the shocks or tires on your truck will you upgrade or put stock replacements on them ?

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I don't think I am smarter then an engineer, at least not most of them anyways. By that logic, anything a car company puts on a vehicle stock is the best for that vehicle? I always look back to the Chevy trucks where the base model truck had AC Delco shocks and the upgraded trucks had Bilsteins on them...or different trucks come with different tires.

The rake, the suspension, the tires, the springs, and everything else that get installed on the trucks are done so with a compromise based on price, market, EPA standards, and other government regulations. So yes, I think the engineers developed a nice truck but there are hundreds of companies that build a better product to enhance the stock vehicle based on an individuals needs and wants.

To the OP. I have no regrets in upgrading my front shocks to a superior quality shock which happened to lift the front of my vehicle another 2 inches. I also have no regrets to upgrading the stock tires to a superior All Terrain tire since the stock Michelins couldn't get me out of my driveway in 2 inches of snow. My next purchase will be a higher quality spring for the rear to reduce the squat when towing or hauling.

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To BTD07,

Whoah...I never said anyone did or did not "deserve" to buy a truck. Nor did I "call out" anyone. I merely asked one member why his stock rake was "killing" him. Then I made some general observations, based solely on responses by posters in this very thread, who listed negatives of "leveling" that they'd experienced, just as the OP requested them to. "The end."

And you're wrong, as my four-door, 4x4, 8' bed truck is not a "work truck," as you allege. Rather, it is the vehicle I need to move the things I need to move, in the most efficient manner possible. Therefore, contrary to what you ASSUME, my truck is like yours, and you are wrong when you (falsely) allege that it "...cannot really be compared to a truck people treat well and customize." (It's spotless, door-ding free at 42,000 miles, and I'm currently working on $7,000. worth of mods, not including audio, none of which include changing the truck's stance, paint, or other, non-functional aspects.)

But...if you're going to start putting words in people's mouths, and making false accusations, then unfortunately, I'm deleting the detailed response I had made to a number of folks who responded thoughtfully and seriously to me, because I've learned (admittedly, too slowly--LOL) not to take the bait. I left high school behind decades ago....

Play games if you want to, BTD07, but without me. I was asking a serious question, and commenting based on the serious responses the OP got to his question. And credit to the OP for asking his question, as I suspect "leveling" is (at least partially) popular due to peer pressure/group-think, based on changing tastes due to generational differences (as opposed to any real world benefits--unless people consider being able to stuff oversized tires under their "leveled" truck to be a "benefit"--of course, for serious off-roaders/rock crawlers, leveling would be an actual benefit).

At least the OP had the critical-thinking skills to ask his question, before simply following the herd, and possibly being dissatisfied with the result.

Peace Out.
tldr, take care man

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
To BTD07,

Peace Out.

LMAO, yeah its peer pressure that makes people level or lift there trucks...

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When 'you do your thing and Ill do my thing' type of response doesnt work, leave it be, theres no hope. Level your truck OP! Do it NOW! lol

yortnodnarb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

You'd be way cooler if you leveled your truck, while you're at it start smoking too. Then all the girls wont be able to resist you, between the lifted truck and the cigarettes you'll be untouchable.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yup, even a lot of 2wd lifted trucks

Will_Power

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Late to the thread, but no regrets here, either. Had them on for about eight months now.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You'd be way cooler if you leveled your truck, while you're at it start smoking too. Then all the girls wont be able to resist you, between the lifted truck and the cigarettes you'll be untouchable.

See your out of touch you gotta Juul to be cool fool lol :hat:

Danny Roberts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Leveled mine with the Daystar 2.5" spacer kit and adjustable air suspension sensor links. No real drop in MPG and the ride quality hasn't suffered. Air suspension is a different animal though...