Anyone running full synthetics?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Crew Cab 4x4 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
Just bought CPO 2018 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 w/5.7 Hemi and 8 spd with 27K.

Taking it to our local dealer (we live in rural Nebraska, local place too small to offer CPO but happy to service it, bought it in Omaha) for an oil change and general inspection. Trust but verify and all that.

Last 4x4 I owned was a 1999 Mazda B3000 (Ford Ranger clone) that drank gas like crazy. In an attempt to squeeze every possible MPG out of it, I spent a boat load of $$ on having the fluid i front and rear diffs, transfer case and auto trans and engine all replaced with full synthetics.

Helped a wee bit - ran smoother for certain - and I like the general rate of wear most drivers report from running synthetics.

At the same time, if I won't really gain much, that would be good to know BEFORE dropping big $$. NOTE: we will be towing a small (15', GVW 2200 lb) travel trailer in 2021, possibly larger later on if we decide we can handle this. So this quest is for long life as well as optimal MPG.

Anyone gone the full synth route? Diffs, transfer case, transmission and engine? Pros and cons (besides price)?

TIA

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would never waste the money deliberately draining out good lubricant from differentials or a good recent oil change in an engine or transmission just because it wasn't synthetic - but also I would never put conventional lubricant back in if a superior synthetic was available for the application.

People have opinions all over the place on oil so this thread could go on forever and not produce any actionable outcome.

What I can tell you objectively is that in the past 20 years if a synthetic is available for an application I've used that (vs conventional) and at no point have I felt regret about this, nor developed any leaks or had any other negatives I could attribute to the synthetic oil so at worst I "overpaid" and at best maybe I got slightly better mpg or slightly less wear. That's about it for objectivity on my part.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Excellent answer Kurek. In today's world any good oil following the OEM recommendation will give you years of trouble free service. I too prefer synthetics and use nothing else.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd only worry about the engine oil for now, when it comes time to change your Differentials, transfer case, transmission like mentioned why get rid of good oil, I'll cut to the chase put Redline full synthetic 10w30w and a good oil filter w/ silicone bypass valve w/ synthetic media, check Royal Purple, SRT, K&N just to name a few.

Go Huskers

Last edited:

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you have a LSD rear diff it would be worthwhile to change the fluid. Transfer case as well since your bighorn has clutch packs for AWD. Super easy on these trucks too.