Anyone Running Staggered Tire - 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Curious if any 4x4 guys are running staggered tire set ups? I've ordered the Mcaughys deluxe 2/4 drop kit which will put my front tires out roughly 1/2". I think 275/55/20 305/50/20 tire setup would look great but I want to make sure my 4x4 won't act up. Looking for opinions.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I always thought that all 4 tires had to be the same size with a 4 wheel drive--at least the same diameter. I guess if you never put it in 4 wheel drive it might not make any difference??????? Not sure----
Jay

OP
OP
N1ck

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I always thought that all 4 tires had to be the same size with a 4 wheel drive--at least the same diameter. I guess if you never put it in 4 wheel drive it might not make any difference??????? Not sure----
Jay

I fully intend on using 4x4 throughout the winter months. According to Tirerack.com the GY 275/55/20 = 31.9" and GY 305/50/20 = 32.0" not sure if that small of a difference is an issue.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's not much difference. I don't have an answer--just be a guess, and gears are way to expensive for guessing. I'll follow this thread, I'd like to know the answer too. I have a reliable source that I will try to call tomorrow to see if he might have an answer.
Jay

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
get a tape measure and measure them.. as long as the tires are the same height.. you will be ok. . if they are different heights.. you are gonna **** **** up. the other problem is " tread wear" they prolly won't wear the same since u can't rotate them. hence causing a difference in height. And just because the average 275/55/20 is 31.9 doesn't mean the set u are going to get will be. I wouldn't do it but that is just me.

Sitedrifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will be fine but without the capability of rotating your tires you will eventually revert because the tires will wear much faster (fronts) and it is a pain to shell out $400 every 25k.

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Op,

>1" doesn't sound like much but remember that in one mile that tire will rotate about 5 to 600 times and that stress on a solid surface can hurt the 4X4. Even if you inflate your tires much differently then you can hurt it. The 44-45 Tcase locks the axles together and there is not much mechanical give in the system.
JMHO YMMV,
Goo luck,

preachp

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I fully intend on using 4x4 throughout the winter months. According to Tirerack.com the GY 275/55/20 = 31.9" and GY 305/50/20 = 32.0" not sure if that small of a difference is an issue.

Tires should have a revs per mile rating which would be more accurate here. I wouldn't do it. It's going to put extra stress on your 4wd set up.

If you do, I would run 4wd Auto and never put it in 4wd lock.

EDIT: Thinking about it more, in theory it might be ok if you only use 4wd auto. It should only engage when it is needed, which would be during a tire slip so it wouldn't be putting undue stress on the 4x4 system, then disengage once you have traction which would allow the front tires to rotate at their own pace. Again, in theory it might be ok, but still will likely add some extra stress to the system.

Last edited:

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Roll out length MUST be the same, or at least within 0.5%. I run drag radials in the back with a set of front 'skinnies' that I have double checked are the exact same circumference when on the truck and at the pressure I'm planning to run. If they aren't the same diameter then you will grenade the transfer case just like my friend did when he tried running the same staggered set from his 2wd which claimed to be the same diameters online but he never measured it when installed on the truck, turned out the fronts were 3/4" smaller circumference when loaded which doesn't sound like much.

For your tire sizes to travel 1 mile one tire will turn 628.64 times and the other will turn 626.7 times, your drive train will now need to make up 2 full revolutions of the one tire size, now travel 60 miles and it's 120 revolutions, see how it gets

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
you would have to make sure the tires are as close in diameter as possible. and i would be very careful about using 4x4 on the pavement. if you were only to engage in the snow you shouldnt have an issue.

OP
OP
N1ck

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would be ordering tires online from Canadian Tire due to pricing, the set comes to $946 after taxes which is a real good price here. Unfortunately I cannot measure the two tires side by side prior to committing to the purchase. I will pass for now, it's not worth the damage to my truck. Perhaps I will by a staggered wheel fitment next summer as a seasonal/track setup where I know I will always be in 2wd.

I do need new tires before the snow flies, duratracs on a 2/4 drop might look kinda neat lol

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I do need new tires before the snow flies, duratracs on a 2/4 drop might look kinda neat lol

-24 offset, a set of fender flares and the truck looks like a bull dog, wide and squat.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
N1ck
My source said almost the exact same thing as charonblko7 said in post #9.
Not a good idea.
Jay

JExpress14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think you can, anything that is awd or 4wd must use all the same tire size on all four corners.

JJEH

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Looking for opinions.

Staggered wheels look nice on a lowered vehicle. I'd recommend using your staggered application in the summer time and getting a factory set (with four identical wheels 'n tires) for the winter time.

This way you can only use your 2WD in the summer and your 4WD in the winter.

If you make use of the 4WD with staggered wheels your tires will wear much faster. It's not just the tire circumference that's important, it's also the track width.

Last edited:

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you would have to make sure the tires are as close in diameter as possible. and i would be very careful about using 4x4 on the pavement. if you were only to engage in the snow you shouldnt have an issue.

I had a tire shop put the wrong size front tires on a old 4x4 Toyota I had.. went to engage in the snow and the truck was all over the place.. all because the tires were half a inch shorter on the front.. took me a minute to figure out what the hell was going on it was a ***** to keep that thing straight in 4x4 even though I was on ice with 6" of fresh powder on it.