Anything I need to know about a 98 ram 1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98CountryRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
So I'm getting my dad's 98 ram 1500 sport once he upgrades to his new truck which will be in the next couple months. The truck has been sitting for long periods of time, really only being used in the winter to get up and down the mountain. It also has less than 100k miles on it. I'm wondering if there's any mechanical issues I should be looking out for. I'm giving my car to them so they can trade it in to help with the new truck so this will be my everyday vehicle and I wanna know how reliable it can be for me.

sound=vibration

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought my 01 used with higher mileage. Since ive got mine it seems like something breaks or goes out every month. First issue was the transfer case then the drive line then the rear diff leaked. After that it needed a new radiator thermostat fan clutch and water pump. Shortly after the head gaskets went. I just got done having the whole top end rebuilt. Finally now the truck doesnt over heat.
However it is my opinion that like every other model and make it all depends on how it was treated before. If your dad took care of it and you do to then i would imagine it will do good for you. My truck seemed to have had a neglected past.

Dbake111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Gas
I've got a 97 Ram with 94k miles and it's a great truck. When I bought it used I did new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, oil, filters, serp belt, coolant, and thermostat. If you take care of it and keep up on your maintenance intervals it will probably be a very good truck for you. This is the first Ram that I have owned but from my experience so far it is a strong, capable truck. I have no complaints other than the P.I.T.A it is to get to the distributor!

OP
OP

98CountryRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Thanks for the input guys. Ill get a good look at the truck when I make the trip home this weekend. Ill try and post some pics.