Are the warped Ram boxes a widespread issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Njt07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 v8 etorque
I am researching for my next vehicle mid next year and have narrowed it down to either the new Ram 1500 or the new F150.

One of the main draws of the 1500 are the Ram boxes, to the point where all else being equal, they would be the deciding factor to choose the Ram next year. That said, while researching, I’m seeing a lot of posts about warped Ram boxes and this seems to be an issue that is still occurring in the 2020 1500’s.

So just how prevalent is this issue? Is this a concern for the silent majority, or do people just live with it?

JUICEBOX

I don't read the script. The script reads me.
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The boxes dont warp, the covers on the lids are stuck on with double sided tape, the tape fails and they slide or look wavy. My drivers side has been taken in twice for it, I'm just going to do it myself next time, the rear part of the cover is already sliding down again.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
My 2017 Ram Box lids are still lined up and stuck on... I've heard of some issues in the recent model years but overall I still think that's probably the exception not the rule.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Never had any issues with mine. I did worry about the paint cracking around the opening button...saw some pictures.

Like anything. Don't slam it so hard all the time and be somewhat gentle pushing it open.

They are great once you see and use them. Good luck with your choice!

OP
OP
N

Njt07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 v8 etorque
Appreciate the answers. Really double sided tape though? Cant they joust use Epoxy to glue it down?

Dennis2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Purchased a 2019 Ram, left over, and I just had both ramboxes replaced because of warping, 800 miles on truck when I noticed the issue. In my case the painted box door, with the lock, separated from the, i’ll call it plastic, rail cover. There are tabs on the hinged door that clip into the plastic and these were breaking the plastic holder I guess as they warped. So I have new ramboxes now. Time will tell it the same thing happens.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It's a cosmetic issue with the lids. The bed-side boxes themselves are not warped. And the lids seal just fine. It's something I can live with. I mean, I'd prefer it if they lids would be perfectly matched with the bed sides, but the design pretty much makes that nearly impossible. The versatility that the rambox option provides makes it something I'd get again, even with the cosmetic flaws. This seems to be the general consensus of rambox owners who actually use them regularly.

Dennis2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The ramboxes on my truck were broken due to whatever cause but not a cosmetic issue. With the new ramboxes there is definitely a cosmetic issue as they don’t sit flush and as mention that would be almost impossible to accomplish? These boxes are great and frees up lots of space in the rear cab of my truck. Would I buy them again yes. Hell the truck only cost about $50,000 and the box option about a $1000. Can’t expect to much quality for that kind of money!

Groo

Reaction score
Ram Year
shopping
Engine
shopping
My Wrangler came with a messed up hard top from the factory. I got a new one under warranty. If you get a bum box, you'll get a replacement too.

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm getting a '21 limited once they are available, and I really want the boxes, but I am picky as hell about things, and am afraid if they don't align properly, it will drive me crazy. Not sure what I'm going to do.

Dennis2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rambox update: one of the new ramboxes, same side as before, is now coming apart again. Worst fit now than before the replacement. These lasted two weeks before issues appeared again.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm getting a '21 limited once they are available, and I really want the boxes, but I am picky as hell about things, and am afraid if they don't align properly, it will drive me crazy. Not sure what I'm going to do.
I would suggest that you don't get the option if you're that picky. I've only seen one truck with rambox lids which were aligned. Even on the trucks in the commercials you can see the problem. Some are definitely worse than others, but there aren't many that don't have issues at least to some degree.

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would suggest that you don't get the option if you're that picky. I've only seen one truck with rambox lids which were aligned. Even on the trucks in the commercials you can see the problem. Some are definitely worse than others, but there aren't many that don't have issues at least to some degree.
What a freakin' bummer. I really want the Ram box, but don't want the problems.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Well, functionally they are excellent. Solid closing, waterproof, secure. And the bed divider is a great design and versatile. As I said before, I would buy them again even knowing there is a cosmetic issue. I'll always buy a truck with the ramboxes as long as they're an option.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Well, functionally they are excellent. Solid closing, waterproof, secure. And the bed divider is a great design and versatile. As I said before, I would buy them again even knowing there is a cosmetic issue. I'll always buy a truck with the ramboxes as long as they're an option.
x2 for sure... The cosmetic issues (so far mine have been spared) wouldn't bother me enough to give 'em up on the next truck.

laramielambo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i guess you have not seen the ram vs ford f150 flex comparison.

the ford bed crumbles from the frame twisting so much

laramielambo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

not the rigyt one, i cant find it but the tailgate buckles in the one i was looking at the other day.
i think that is when they added weight

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
I have (but likely had by the time this is read) a 2015 with RamBoxes, mainly the drivers side. A few times I've looked and thought they were not closed or were misaligned and was not able to find something poorly placed in them as the cause, and it seemed to correct itself. I took it in once for an adjustment under warranty, the other was corrected when it was in for hail damage. Shopping for a new truck with RamBoxes I'm typing this.