Ash Tray removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys, can anyone advise how to remove the front ash tray? I want to run some wires to the cab in that area. Don't want to reef on it and damage anything...Thanks

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Still playing with this silly thing..anyone have the info ? It must be simple ...smarter than me

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
could you post an image ? if it is similar to the 2017 Ram, it may be really simple

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Was wondering about ashtray as well.
Havent seen one in years in a car/truck, UNLESS you get the smokers package, then it is a cup ashtray that slips into one of the drink holders.
All kidding aside, I think he means that pull out storage compartment under the hHVAC controls

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I think you are correct
He or She must have the seat type console with the cup holders or whatever under the temperature controls.

In that case i believe that the radio bezel has to be removed first
2 screws in the tray at the very top of the dash
possibly one more screw where the 115 VAC connector may be on some Rams
Then the clips around the edge of the bezel have to be unsnapped

Then disconnect the wiring connectors

Then with the bezel out of the way, i think there are 4 to 6 screws that remove the part that was mentioned in the first post

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All I wanted to do was run some wires up in from behind to a controller I was going to install in the tray...maybe not

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
There is no ashtray in the truck. Post a picture of what you are trying to remove and we might be able to help. If you are talking about thebin under the temp controls you don't have to remove it to run wires.

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You nailed it Dean 2..my old school brain said ash tray when in fact it looks like a small drawer misc holder..I will get a picture..sorry for not getting a picture in the first place..As you mentioned about running wires from behind I guess I could drill a small access hole..or is there another option you speak of..??IMG_0684.jpg

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will look on the web and try to locate a small 2 or3 gang switch box i can run the lights ( 2 items ) into from behind then just close the drawer/tray when not in use..

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I drilled a small hole in the back lip for the wire and did not need to remove the bin to do that. You can also just run the wire over the rear lip if you aren't opening and closing the bin once the component is installed. You can reach around behind it very easily.

Also just above the bin are pop out spots you can put auxiliary switches. Mopar sells oem ones that are a perfect fit.

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just called the Ram outlet and that guy said I have to buy a whole bank of 5 switched..really? I think I'm goning to try and pop one of those square spots out with a thin knife ..unless you advise otherwise dean 2

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Just called the Ram outlet and that guy said I have to buy a whole bank of 5 switched..really? I think I'm goning to try and pop one of those square spots out with a thin knife ..unless you advise otherwise dean 2
I have not tried to pop one of the blanks out on my new truck as I ordered it completely pre-wired for everything, except the cord I ran into the cubby for the in car warmer. I can't tell you if they are a friction pop out or have tabs, try reaching up and feeling the back of that switch panel or go down to the wreckers. You can probably buy single OEM switched from them and it will give you a real go idea how the blanks are put in.

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That "cubby" you speak of was that on another thread. Is that the "useless " hole' to the right of the radio? That might be a place to put a switch ..seems to me someone addressed that very thing..I will search..thanks Dean2