Asking for trade advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition
I’m looking to save a few bucks per month, roughly $150, plus get some more things I want. I have a 2016 Megacab still owing about 36,000. My payments are 850. I found a power wagon with more options I don’t have such as well, power wagon stuff such as winch and locking diffs and all that, plus tonneau cover, homelink garage openers, 8.4 screen, dual climate, vanity mirrors, and sunroof. Plus it’s a year newer with around 20,000 less miles. I know my financing probability because I just bought my wife a suburban. It looks like payments would be about $700 a month. If I get what the megacab is worth on trade, does this all sound right?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/mySavedListings.action

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That link won't work. It's your saved listing and the site won't link as we have different IPs.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Beware the "Four Square". "If I get what the megacab is worth on trade,". That is a big if. Most dealers biggest or second biggest profit center is used cars. They make those profits by paying way less for trades than they sell used for. They are pretty constrained on what the pay the manufacturer for new cars but used ones they have free rein to pay as little as possible.

https://www.consumerreports.org/con...ff-with-the-four-square-heres-how-to-beat-it/

Oh and you will also have to change your forum handle and avatar. be sure to figure in those costs. :)

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
... If I get what the megacab is worth on trade, does this all sound right?

Sound right financially? That's hard to say. I'm assuming you *could* get your payoff amount for your 2016. Then $700/mo for 72-84 months on the 2017?

That's a tricky game, because eventually you could be under water so to speak.

OP
OP
DarthMegaHD

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I’m juuuuust slightly under water, that’s fine. As long as payments are lower. Plus I’ll have more options. Still sounds like a win-win to me

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Beat their ass up on the selling price. Focus on that first and what you can get for yours second. Ignore the payment right now. That truck as been on CarGurus for 160 days and that dealer for 71 days. That is a looong time so the sales manager is definitely getting tired of looking at it.

Try vroom.com to see how much you can get for your car. The buy cars outright not just sell them. I had 2003 F250 with 130K miles on it. The dealer said they would give me $3K, vroom.com gave me $8K and I did not buy a car from them. Sold it to them and they sent a flatbed to my house to pick it up. Got the check 3 days after they picked up the truck.

You will be in a much better position if you don't have a trade.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Beat their ass up on the selling price. Focus on that first and what you can get for yours second. Ignore the payment right now. That truck as been on CarGurus for 160 days and that dealer for 71 days. That is a looong time so the sales manager is definitely getting tired of looking at it.

Try vroom.com to see how much you can get for your car. The buy cars outright not just sell them. I had 2003 F250 with 130K miles on it. The dealer said they would give me $3K, vroom.com gave me $8K and I did not buy a car from them. Sold it to them and they sent a flatbed to my house to pick it up. Got the check 3 days after they picked up the truck.

You will be in a much better position if you don't have a trade.

I disagree, you value your trade first and then go after the sale price. It is easier to negotiate the price of the new sale. You can get a bunch of dealers to compete against themselves. Plus if the value of the trade isn't good enough for you, say you are taking your business else where. Do this on the last days of the month also. Losing the sale at that point will be a big issue for them and give you good position to negotiate from.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have a 2017 with 58k miles. Amp steps and ram box, it does not have leather or a sun roof but has all the other options. When i get it back from the dealer i am going to sell it. i know its not ideal but would you want to consider buying mine? fair value for me is between 37-40k.

OP
OP
DarthMegaHD

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have a 2017 with 58k miles. Amp steps and ram box, it does not have leather or a sun roof but has all the other options. When i get it back from the dealer i am going to sell it. i know its not ideal but would you want to consider buying mine? fair value for me is between 37-40k.
Isn’t yours way broken lol
No offense

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
Find out what your truck is worth wholesale. That's pretty much what your truck is worth. It's almost guaranteed that you won't like it.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Isn’t yours way broken lol
No offense
Ha yes, its very way broken. id like to sell it at soon as it comes back. If it ever does. Just putting it out there.

Do you use the extra space in the mega cab? Considering this fir my next truck and i dint have any experience with one. Worth it?

OP
OP
DarthMegaHD

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ha yes, its very way broken. id like to sell it at soon as it comes back. If it ever does. Just putting it out there.

Do you use the extra space in the mega cab? Considering this fir my next truck and i dint have any experience with one. Worth it?
Well I guess you could say it was “used” but not effectively. When the mega was our family car all the kids were back there with their bags and gear all the time. I just barely used it myself the other day to change for work and oh man, there’s space for days. Quite honestly, it felt like wasted space. I’m never gonna have Shaq in my backseat, and my kids now have a suburban to ride in. So that’s why I started considering a power wagon