At my wits end. Electric power steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Laeskis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L v8
2013 Ram 1500 slt with 4 doors and 4.7 v8. 155k miles. I had the ac evap blow out. Everything was working fine except the ac. Member of the family says “I have a mechanic who can fix that” so I send it off with him.

I say “since it’s going to the shop, I’d like to go ahead and get the tires rotated and do a front end alignment”

When it went, again…everything but ac was working normally. Perfectly fine.

So…family member rotates the tires for me to save a little money, instead of paying mechanic for it.

Mechanic pulls the dash and replaces evap, and heater core for good measure. Does a front end alignment.

Family member gets it back from mechanic. Says brake light won’t go off. Takes it back to mechanic who says switch is now messed up. Replaces it with aftermarket part. But says abs module is bad now. So family member takes it to dealership. Dealership says abs module is bad. But they don’t have one in stock. Says it’s fine to drive. They do a couple of recalls on the truck. None related to abs, electric power steering, or tpms.

Family member brings the truck back. Tpms all showing “-“ with no pressures. Traction control light is on and won’t go off. One day later, there’s a clunk and electric power steering stops working. Odb scan also says abs module is bad.

Take it to a different dodge dealership locally. They say it needs $2000 electric power steering module.

Does this seem to be true, or is this lazy diagnostics? “Hard to figure it out so just replace the whole thing?”

Reason I’m wondering is it’s very suspicious that EVERYTHING was working fine, then right after said work was done…all of these components suddenly “go bad” abs module, tpms, eps, brake light switch…

That’s a lot of money to gamble. $2000 on a part that might not be the fix…that has to be bought aftermarket because dodge can’t put their hands on one so dealer won’t stand behind the “fix”…

Sorry to post a question here without having contributed. But I’m about 10 hours into searching, reading and even asking chatgpt with no clear solutions.

OP
OP
L

Laeskis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L v8
Addendum: might seem like an old vehicle with a lot of miles to be quibbling over. But I just put a new crate engine in it a year ago and have only about 10k miles on it. $9,000

Then the evap core replacement…

Now this. Whatever “this” is.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I wonder if you have a bad ground connection somewhere, weird that you have issues with this and that.

I would check all grounds, and even harnesses, esp. near the ABS unit and EPS unit.

Just seems strange for so many things.

Hang in there, there are lots of members here with tons more experiece than me.

Wish you the best, and please keep us posted what is found on this.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
alot of things can happen when the is pulled I do heater cores allt he time in them just re check all major connectors on steering colum and both kick panels also run away from that dealer and whatever fried you took it to lol.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Troubleshooting electrical gremlins has a standard course of action that is almost secondary to suspicion or sometimes logical analysis.

I would like to think that someone during all these visits would have tested the battery but until I hear the words "yes, the battery has been load tested and passed successfully", I would look no further.

It does not matter if the battery has been recently replaced or brand new, until it is load tested, it remains as an unknown variable.

Yes, with a truck of this vintage, faulty common ground connections are very high on the suspect list but the battery still is the main source of power and is painfully simple to test.

A faulty battery can create endless grief and we could always assume that one of the many mechanics has tested it already but that would be a mistake that could lead to a very expensive lesson.

Most auto parts stores will load test your battery for free. A toaster style load tester is far more reliable than a digital tester, if you have the option.

I bought my own, decades ago because I prefer the convenience of taking it off the shelf. :cool:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Theres a fuse right on the positive battery post that has a high amp fuse for the alternator and the power steering rack, I cant remember which one is which but make sure theres continuity on both of those fuses. If the one is blown for the power steering rack it wont work at all. Wouldnt be the first time Ive seen a dealer try to drum up business and "missed" something simple...

OP
OP
L

Laeskis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L v8
Thanks for taking time out of y’all’s day to post replies. Looks like the consensus is good that I should not get a $2000 eps module at this point. Maybe just go ahead and pay dealer their $500 in diagnostic fees, get the truck out, and try to diagnose electrical.

Or try to sell the truck to a good mechanic and cross fingers I can get $5000 for it after dropping over $11,000 into it over the last year and a half :(

If someone had a lot more sense than me, they could have themselves a solid vehicle with a new engine for less than $9,000

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for taking time out of y’all’s day to post replies. Looks like the consensus is good that I should not get a $2000 eps module at this point. Maybe just go ahead and pay dealer their $500 in diagnostic fees, get the truck out, and try to diagnose electrical.

Or try to sell the truck to a good mechanic and cross fingers I can get $5000 for it after dropping over $11,000 into it over the last year and a half :(

If someone had a lot more sense than me, they could have themselves a solid vehicle with a new engine for less than $9,000

If the body is in good shape, and it was running well before this latest twist, I'd get the truck back and just follow a methodical approach with standard troubleshooting.

Load test the battery and if it passes, move on to verifying common grounds. Don't start firing the parts canon until you can prove specific failures.

Common ground faults can be a bit of a PITA but they're certainly not too complex.

Ram Forum has many members who can help direct you to the problem areas and provide endless virtual assistance, as long as you employ good team skills.

OP
OP
L

Laeskis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L v8
If the body is in good shape, and it was running well before this latest twist, I'd get the truck back and just follow a methodical approach with standard troubleshooting.

Load test the battery and if it passes, move on to verifying common grounds. Don't start firing the parts canon until you can prove specific failures.

Common ground faults can be a bit of a PITA but they're certainly not too complex.

Ram Forum has many members who can help direct you to the problem areas and provide endless virtual assistance, as long as you employ good team skills.

That’ll be the plan I think.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat