Back to stock exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Does the stock muffler rob any hp? Seems so restricted from pics on the net I've seen.
I guess i shoulda payed attention to the sound of the stock tips more before i added my 5" carven tips, i dont remember if it really changed the sound lol

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
Does the stock muffler rob any hp? Seems so restricted from pics on the net I've seen.
I guess i shoulda payed attention to the sound of the stock tips more before i added my 5" carven tips, i dont remember if it really changed the sound lol
It probably robs 5 rwhp- you would not be able to tell a difference on a stock truck. If you’re looking for power LT headers and a good tune is a quick / reliable and cheap way to more power down that you will definitely feel.

dls56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Had put some consideration into changing mufflers but am sure a droning sound would be insufferable. If the stock muffler ever needs changed then a decision will have to be made. I had Magnaflow on a GMC years ago and liked it, hard to say until it's on though.

Outdoors76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feel im im the same boat i did carven and drone was so bad i ielt like my ears were gonna implode. I put back to stock...

So will the moes tips change the sound??? I didnt didnt tips would change sound only looks. If thats the case maybe i can add just tips. Though now my tires are more noisy than drone lmao

So I went and bought a totalflow direct fit off Amazon. Almost no drone. Sounds pretty good and build quality seems great. Just another option if drone got ya too... $125

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feel im im the same boat i did carven and drone was so bad i ielt like my ears were gonna implode. I put back to stock...

So will the moes tips change the sound??? I didnt didnt tips would change sound only looks. If thats the case maybe i can add just tips. Though now my tires are more noisy than drone lmao
In my experience yes. I have a flowmaster 44 and the tips added some volume and deepened the tone. It’s not a quiet system by any means, especially cold starts, but I wouldn’t say drone is a problem.

XD_Dan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I started with the Carven Progressive w/ 5" tips. The drone @ 55-65 was unbearable, plus the clamps never quite sealed correctly. Switched over to a Borla XS and had it welded in proper. Kept the tips. Very nice deep growl when cold and idling. Roars when I stomp on it. Very slight drone @ 55-65 that the radio can handle.
I went with the Borla XS (40349) and have no complaints.
If you want something slightly louder than stock with a deep tone and almost no drone, this is the way to go.

Cold starts sound great but won't **** off your neighbors. Mild sound while cruising at low RPM, but it wakes up when you want it to.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

lowufo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I had my 2005 I tried the mid size and largest Magnaflow on the truck and the sound was excellent at start up and idle but the 2000 rpm drone was terrible with both size mufflers. I tried all kinds of things to solve it like a resonator, the factory weights bolted on at the Y pipe but with no luck with anything I did. Finally solved it by trading it in on a new 2017 Sport a few years ago. I will not be messing around with the exhaust on the new Sport.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2017 sport, and I Installed the large Magnaflow 3" in and dual 2-1/2" outlet. But I also installed a round 20" long 3" magnaflow muffler before the main muffler and it sounds great. With no drone at any speed. The small muffler acts a resonator. I took the photo just before welding it on.12588 Magnaflow Installed on Truck.jpg

Attachments

• 12619 Magnaflow Resinator Installed on Truck.jpg
    12619 Magnaflow Resinator Installed on Truck.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 7

El_Lobo_Gris1500C

Reaction score
I had a brand new 2021 Classic, 3.92 gears and 5.7L and I installed a Flowmaster super 44 and had painful drone inside the truck, was super loud outside. Installed a ultra-quiet resonator before the muffler and only slightly more quiet, still had drone. So I took that out and out in a Flowmaster 50HD and was much better in the over all volume outside and drone inside, but with the 3.02 gears I still get that drone on the highway in 8th gear at around 1900-2000 rpm (doing about 103-110km/hr).

I’m considering putting the stock muffler back in, and also installing a remote controlled bypass valve That goes from stock to either open pipe or into the 50HD if it’s possible to fit space wise. That way I can go from stock to nasty and back at any time. And avoid drone on the highway with the family.

These trucks just don’t seem to be able to do any kind of aftermarket muffler change without some drone as a result. With the 3.92 hearing it makes it impossible to avoid drone, mostly at highway cruising speed (with the flow of traffic, not speeding at 120km/hr or more or limiting it to 7th gear and running at about 2300rpm or more).

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Even when I was young I wanted my vehicles to be quiet unless I was really standing on them. From hunting to having cops look right past you a quiet vehicle is a big advatnage, expecially for long distance highway runs. I can almost always get the same performance gains without having to go to a permanently loud exhaust note.

ramsare4real

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stock for me. Plenty of noise in the world already. Last thing I need is an annoying ride. And I like the sound of the factory exhaust.