Back up horn!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I remember reading a thread from someone about how sounding horn on our Rams can be a challenge. However, I can't remember where I found it. None-the-less, I agree that getting a single "beep" can be difficult. When I push the horn pad on the steering wheel there appears to be a delay before the horns sound. The volume is fine, but getting just a short "beep" is a problem.

This past weekend I picked up a set of 110 db horns from Harbor Freight for less than $10 with a relay included. I mounted the horns right in front of the fuse box under the hood along with the relay. Having already run several wires from the fuse box into the cab for future mods, I tapped into my under-seat light feed for the 12volt trigger. Not wanting to drill in my dash or steering column, I found a spot on the floor tray in front of the middle front seat that when I drop my hand down it is the perfect spot for a "momentary on" button switch. By having a 2nd set of horns gives me the option for a quick "toot" rather than a slightly delayed "blast."

I can still use the factory horns for most uses, but there are many times when a "not as loud" or just a short "toot" is more appropriate. Best example is whenever anyone from our family leaves the yard, we give four quick "*****" to say "so long!" I know this is not a fancy or hi-tech mod, but it does serve a purpose and was relatively quick and reasonably priced.

Last edited:

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
You know, when I'm looking for the horn its because I'm usually provoked, idiot driver, not paying attention, unsafe lane change, you get the idea.

So I want the full throated horn note--even if its just a single toot.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
run a wire from the factory horns to the relay trigger as well, so when you give the blast of the regular horn you get both! It how I wired up train horns as well.

OP
OP
Sweetee

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
run a wire from the factory horns to the relay trigger as well, so when you give the blast of the regular horn you get both! It how I wired up train horns as well.

This sounded like a good suggestion. On my 2012 Express, the horns were located behind the front grill and all you had to do was remove the plastic radiator shroud cover to access the horns and wiring. After contemplating this suggestion, I started to worry that when I used the auxiliary horn, the current from my auxiliary trigger wire would also backfeed the OEM horns and then could overload the trigger wire. Then I thought I could add a relay to the new trigger wire from the OEM horns to avoid this. I had everything all mapped out, but for the life of me, I can not find my OEM horns. Because of the grill shutters, they aren't behind the front grill. I can hear them and I think they are somewhere behind the driver's headlight. After looking with a trouble light and flashlight for quite a while, I decided that my two horn systems were more than sufficient. Thanks for the suggestion. In an emergent pinch, I can always drop one hand to my auxiliary horn button and lean on the OEM with my other! :roflsquared: