Bad Transmission, differential, etc?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerigorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, so this morning I jumped in my 09 5.7 and threw it into reverse like I always do. I backed out of my driveway about 10 ft when the truck suddenly slammed to halt, leaving tire marks on my driveway. I drove forward a bit backed up again, this time we're slowly, and the truck stopped a second time (but much more gracefully). I gave it some gas on this second stop and the truck refused to move. What do you guys think, transmission or differential? Is anybody experienced this with any make or model? Just trying figure out the problem area.

114000 miles and no transmission issues to date. I have yet to do tranny and diff fluids as I've traditional done those at 120k

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you take your foot off the brake does it roll forward?

OP
OP
J

Jerigorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly I'm not sure. After it happened I got in my wife's car to go to work. I'll try it when I get home. What would that mean if it didn't roll?

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had my trucks (2010) transfer case go out and my truck would not move under power, just trying to get you headed in the right direction. If your truck has 4wd see if it will move in 4wd and post your results here. Also check and see if it might have thrown a code (check engine light on).

Big Daddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was the pinion nut recall done?

There was a recall on the pinion nut because the come loose and blow up the rearend.

OP
OP
J

Jerigorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gave it another shot and made it out of the driveway. At the end of my street there's a threeway stop. Before I can even move, the truck shifted to what I believe was park, or some other state where I couldn't move. So now I can confirm it does this in forward and reverse, moving and stationary. Shift linkage looks fine.