belltech vs mcgaughys ride quality?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

derek_m

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
its about that time that i lower my truck. i like the GF 2/3 drop, but i cant justify the extra 300 bucks over the 2/4 kits when its the same parts.

the belltech 2/4 with nitro drop shocks is 380, with the street perfomance shocks is 525, and with no shocks is 290.

the mcgaughys 2/4, which comes with no shocks, is 420.

i will be adding an adjustable panhard and airlift bags in rear.

so my question is, what is the general opinion of which kit rides better? do these ride ok with the stock shocks? how are the nitro drop shocks?

if it sways an opinion to one brand or the other, i dont need the sway bar endlinks and if its missing the panhard relocate bracket then no big deal, i can measure the angle and fab my own.

thanks guys.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
I'd do the McGaughys with stock shocks. If you feel the need for firmer shocks later just add them then.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Mcgaughys in general is a better quality than Belltech, but the Belltech kits are nice for the money. I wouldn't waste your money on the nitro drop shocks though as they are no better than stock. My vote goes to either the McGaughys kit or the Belltech with Street Performance shocks.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mcgaughys in general is a better quality than Belltech, but the Belltech kits are nice for the money. I wouldn't waste your money on the nitro drop shocks though as they are no better than stock. My vote goes to either the McGaughys kit or the Belltech with Street Performance shocks.

Can I ask why you feel their coils are better than Belltech?
It seems that Belltech at least gives you the advertised amount of drop without trimming. I'm curious because I had belltech coils on my '99 Ram w/o any issue, even when I 'heavily trimmed' for more drop.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Only issue I have seen with Belltech is an inconsistency with their coils. I have customers who have claimed to get different drop heights from their BT coils. Also, we did not decide to add the BT line to our website until they started adding the trac bar bracket. That was a huge component to lowering a 4th gen, so that should have been included from the start like McGaughy's did. IMO, McGaughys just puts out a more complete kit that is more consistent.

Belltech is tough to beat for the price though. If you try to get a McGaughys kit and add the SP shocks, you are going to end up spending close to $700 when you can get the Belltech kit with the same shocks for only $530.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Only issue I have seen with Belltech is an inconsistency with their coils. I have customers who have claimed to get different drop heights from their BT coils. Also, we did not decide to add the BT line to our website until they started adding the trac bar bracket. That was a huge component to lowering a 4th gen, so that should have been included from the start like McGaughy's did. IMO, McGaughys just puts out a more complete kit that is more consistent.

Belltech is tough to beat for the price though. If you try to get a McGaughys kit and add the SP shocks, you are going to end up spending close to $700 when you can get the Belltech kit with the same shocks for only $530.

I was planning on getting the Sphoon adj trac bar anywho, so I wasn't worried about a re-locator bracket (My personal opinion on relocation brackets is very low from my experience in Jeep shops). I guess I have read quite a few complaints about BT coils and quality control issues.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
If you understand how a panhard bar works and rear suspension geometry then you know you need the relocator bracket. An angled panhard bar will cause the rear end to swing side to side more than it should when you go over bumps.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you understand how a panhard bar works and rear suspension geometry then you know you need the relocator bracket. An angled panhard bar will cause the rear end to swing side to side more than it should when you go over bumps.

Right, and by lowering the truck, with a shorter panard bar, you will be decreasing the angle of the bar. not increasing it.

Lifting the truck would increase the angle of the bar.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
If that's what you think then go for it. The bar will still have an undesirable angle that will negatively affect ride quality. If a panhard has any angle at all it will naturally preload the truck to one side....meaning when you hit a bump and the bar swings through it's arc as the suspension compresses it will push the body away from the bar's axle mounting point...which you will feel as sway in the rear end.

Hornet

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unbroken nailed it

If we're talking 2 wheel drive shortbox trucks,my truck with just a 2" drop has an undesirable uphill angle to the bar.
I was looking at re-drilling the factory body mount hole higher,just to bring the bar back parrallel with the housing.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Let me start with this - I'm not trying to claim I know best, just stating how I understand it.

1: I don't believe at ride height my bar is level with the housing. (Will take picture tomorrow)
2: The length of the truck would have nothing to do with this. a 4" drop would be a 4" drop would be a 4" drop.
3: it is impossible for the suspension to flex, and the panhard bar remain 'neutral'. While I don't claim to know it all, I do understand suspension geometery somewhat. Panard bars are a poor design by default, watts links are much better because they stay true through-out the range of motion (Ugly Gen II Durango's had em).

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
You're right in that a panhard isn't the best route and it will always drag the body side to side as it swings. BUT....if it's way out of level the truck is loaded to one side exacerbating the issue.

This is a lowered truck without a relocator bracket. With the frame mount that high I guarantee every time the suspension compresses it feels like the rear end swings.

ear-Panhard-Bar-2009-2012-Dodge-Ram-1500-4x2-4x4-5.jpg

Here's one with the bracket....this is correct. Not perfect but much better than the first pic.

IMG_20130423_134707_699_zps1714cbb9.jpg

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well then... I hereby agree entirely with you. I guess my mental image of how the panard bar mounted is very different than how it actually mounts (it's not something I had previously looked at with great depth)

I do, however, still hate relocation brackets. And after having re rebuilt, gusset and beef up a few that had ripped open on Jeeps, I'll likely be very skeptical of this one as well.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
I have the McGaughys bracket...it's very well built. I'd recommend it to anyone. I haven't seen the BellTech part so I have no opinion on that one.

OP
OP
D

derek_m

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thanks for the opinions guys

Kelli25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After all this in depth discussion my statement feels almost worthless, but I will say that I have the McGaughys 2" drop springs and I'm extremely happy with them.

Now I'm gonna go look at that bar under my truck...

autobred

Reaction score
Ram Year
sold* 10' R/T..13' R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
its about that time that i lower my truck. i like the GF 2/3 drop, but i cant justify the extra 300 bucks over the 2/4 kits when its the same parts.

the belltech 2/4 with nitro drop shocks is 380, with the street perfomance shocks is 525, and with no shocks is 290.

the mcgaughys 2/4, which comes with no shocks, is 420.

i will be adding an adjustable panhard and airlift bags in rear.

so my question is, what is the general opinion of which kit rides better? do these ride ok with the stock shocks? how are the nitro drop shocks?

if it sways an opinion to one brand or the other, i dont need the sway bar endlinks and if its missing the panhard relocate bracket then no big deal, i can measure the angle and fab my own.

thanks guys.

I had the economy MC kit on my 10' R/T with stock shocks, airlift 1000 bags and never had any issues with it. 90,000 miles using it for work hauling a 1/2 ton materials any given day. On my new work truck I went with the 964SP belltech kit, relocation bracket with airlift bags and it feels and handles exactly the same way as my old truck did imho

OP
OP
D

derek_m

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well i ended up ordering the mcgaughy's eco 2/4 and a spohn adjustable panhard. should be here tomorrow so ill do the install and see how it sits, will either chop the front springs for another inch or add an airlift in back so it doesnt squat when towing.

ill post up some pics when done

OP
OP
D

derek_m

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
not the best of picture...but here you go.

also how much adjustment is in the spohn adjustable panhards? i cant seem to get my axle centered with it

164263_600725619946517_1678413667_n.jpg