Best bolt ons for hemi ram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gotdamdodgeram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok guys just got my first ram. I would really like to get 400hp or close to it. However I'm not looking to spend too much for now. My truck only has a flow master catback atm. I would like to know how much hp a cai, tune, and headers would net me, first by itself than all together. Are the cheap CAIs as good as the expensive ones??
And also, what's a good gear for acceleration while keeping good highway mpg, and what are the crusing rpms in 5th for all the different upgraded rear gears? Sorry for all the questions I just really want to get started modding!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok guys just got my first ram. I would really like to get 400hp or close to it. However I'm not looking to spend too much for now. My truck only has a flow master catback atm. I would like to know how much hp a cai, tune, and headers would net me, first by itself than all together. Are the cheap CAIs as good as the expensive ones??
And also, what's a good gear for acceleration while keeping good highway mpg, and what are the crusing rpms in 5th for all the different upgraded rear gears? Sorry for all the questions I just really want to get started modding!

Let's break it down:
1. 400hp at the wheels or crank? One is easier and cheaper than the other
2. Fun parts cost money
3. Only the tune would net you any real measurable gain
4. Unless you have one that acts as a ram air system, all they really do is unsilence the intake/makes it louder
5. The ratio you most likely have (3.92)
6. Every truck is different, find out what gears your truck has (factory will only be 3.55 or 3.92 for that year) and see what RPM it does in 5th/full lockup, then go online and plug those numbers into a a ratio/RPM calculator. Then you can try other ratios and see how it changes.
7. No problem, just remember the mod bug requires skill and some money or if no skill, more money

Jason G Slabaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Headers, tune, and gears. Wont net you 400 hp but should wake your truck up enough to have some fun with it. Be careful about adding superchargers etc.. You'll be rebuilding your trans soon afterwards

OP
OP
G

Gotdamdodgeram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Let's break it down:
1. 400hp at the wheels or crank? One is easier and cheaper than the other
2. Fun parts cost money
3. Only the tune would net you any real measurable gain
4. Unless you have one that acts as a ram air system, all they really do is unsilence the intake/makes it louder
5. The ratio you most likely have (3.92)
6. Every truck is different, find out what gears your truck has (factory will only be 3.55 or 3.92 for that year) and see what RPM it does in 5th/full lockup, then go online and plug those numbers into a a ratio/RPM calculator. Then you can try other ratios and see how it changes.
7. No problem, just remember the mod bug requires skill and some money or if no skill, more money
400 crank would be fine, so should I just go with a cheaper CAI, tune, and maybe 4.10 or 4.56 gears? Also I heard someone say that I don't need to reflash for gears because this truck reads speed differently??

Jason G Slabaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Honestly dont even bother with a CAI, your stock intake flows well enough unless you just want the looks, get a direct fit K&N if you want free flow. Also if youre 4x4, you need to do both sets of gears, front and rear. A lot of folks say the 4.56 gears are great. I don't think you need to reflash your truck for gears

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
400 crank would be fine, so should I just go with a cheaper CAI, tune, and maybe 4.10 or 4.56 gears? Also I heard someone say that I don't need to reflash for gears because this truck reads speed differently??

CAI & tune will NOT net you a 55hp increase. That will require at minimum a cam and matching custom tune. You do not need to program for ratio, what affects the pinion factor is tire height/diameter.

Honestly dont even bother with a CAI, your stock intake flows well enough unless you just want the looks, get a direct fit K&N if you want free flow. Also if youre 4x4, you need to do both sets of gears, front and rear. A lot of folks say the 4.56 gears are great. I don't think you need to reflash your truck for gears

Or noise

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Question:

Aren’t our modern Hemi engines rated at 395 HP(at the crank) from the factory? If yes, wouldn’t a tune, and headers put it at or over 400 HP (at the crank)?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Question:

Aren’t our modern Hemi engines rated at 395 HP(at the crank) from the factory? If yes, wouldn’t a tune, and headers put it at or over 400 HP (at the crank)?

Yours is, but the OP has an 04 (345hp)

Untitled.jpg

Lethal Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Long tube headers ( pacesetter 1 3/4 is perfect), remove the cats and get a mandrel bet 3” y pipe, magnaflow or borla muffler, Summit 20% UD pulley, 87mm TB, Intake, and a good tune. That will get you 400 CRANK horsepower which comes out to around 305-310 RWHP.

Gears don’t go be power but **** do they feel great at WOT. So highly recommend 4.56 gears.

You can also port your intake manifold for some more power if u like. It will probably give around 8-10 rwhp from what I’ve seen it gives if done correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Max1329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Magnum hemi
Long tube headers ( pacesetter 1 3/4 is perfect), remove the cats and get a mandrel bet 3” y pipe, magnaflow or borla muffler, Summit 20% UD pulley, 87mm TB, Intake, and a good tune. That will get you 400 CRANK horsepower which comes out to around 305-310 RWHP.

Gears don’t go be power but **** do they feel great at WOT. So highly recommend 4.56 gears.

You can also port your intake manifold for some more power if u like. It will probably give around 8-10 rwhp from what I’ve seen it gives if done correctly.

How do ya like the od pully?? Any negative effects?

Lethal Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
How do ya like the od pully?? Any negative effects?

Underdrive pulley was the last thing I did because I had everything else. The only thing that was different was that my A/F went leaner after I put it. Why? I don’t know so Hemifever fever added some fuel. But it has been shown to give 8-10 rwhp so every little bit adds up