Beware scams at your dealer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I had my first attempted scam at a dealer this week. I was in for an oil change, tire rotation, and authorized them to replace my air filter. Normally stuff I'd do myself, but I have some free oil changes from when I bought my truck. They did the oil change, and tire rotation fine - I mark my tires, and take note which one is where.. And checking the oil dipstick is easy enough. Well, for whatever reason a couple days later (yesterday), I popped open my airbox and took a look at the filter - aaannnddd it was the same dirty ass one the service writer showed me that I needed to have replaced........

So, I drove over to the dealer, walked in with my invoice and informed them that they didn't change my air filter that I paid for. Instead of asking why I thought that, the guy helping me "assured" me that my truck had a new air filter installed. That's when I semi-tweaked out, walked out to my truck, yanked the dirty filter out, and walked back with a total "F U" look on my face.

Having been in the automotive industry for about 10 years, I know that sometimes **** happens, but this was blatantly an attempted scam by the tech. I grilled the service writer a bit - said something in the nature of "I know you didn't forget to tell the tech to replace my air filter with a new one. You had to walk back to the bay my truck was in, to hand the original filter back to the tech, after showing it to me. You didn't forget to tell him that I authorized the installation of a new air filter...."

I went on to advise them to keep an eye on their techs, as obviously at least one of them isn't doing all the work they are saying they're doing. Having been in the industry, AS a tech once upon a time, I'm fully aware that certain types of people, that are auto technicians, will happily pocket NIB parts to sell online to make some extra cash.

Having handed my fob to the tech myself, I started wondering something - I'm 31 years old, male, or relatively large stature. I'm not trying to say I'm a "scary" dude, people should fear me or anything real pretentious like that. I'm sure most of you see what I'm getting at - imagine how many times somebody that knows nothing about cars. Lets be real, regardless of gender - a TON of people know nothing about cars. At my girlfriends request after hearing about my day, I showed her how to check/change the air filter in her car.

On the flip side... Maybe, because I see myself as somebody unlikely to be scammed, that's actually working against me. But I guess this is also an example of what happens when, even a large, business employs the lowest bidder to do a moderate-high skilled trade that also requires a large about of trust.

Regardless, just watch out. I've seen this happen to other people NUMEROUS times - especially the good 'ol jiffy lube oil (not) change.... Take a look, to the best of your ability, at the work that's been performed on your car after it's been in for work.

I'm not going to name this large dealer outright, as the way they made things right with me, but I'll say that they are located in Barrington, IL.

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
surprised they didn't tell you your halogen lamp fluid is low.

that is exactly why I do my own maintenance even if they give me free oil changes.

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not just dealers - a number of years ago, I passed a Honda CRX on the side of the highway, stalled out with a brunette woman standing next to it looking lost. I doubled back to help her - jump started the car and it stalled immediately after disconnecting the jumper cables - told her she needs a new alternator. Drove her to the nearest NAPA where she went in and came back out crying. Said they wanted $379.99 for a REBUILT alternator! I went in and talked to one of the guys (not the same one she dealt with) and it only cost $73 and change for a NEW alternator with a 3 year warranty...

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not just dealers - a number of years ago, I passed a Honda CRX on the side of the highway, stalled out with a brunette woman standing next to it looking lost. I doubled back to help her - jump started the car and it stalled immediately after disconnecting the jumper cables - told her she needs a new alternator. Drove her to the nearest NAPA where she went in and came back out crying. Said they wanted $379.99 for a REBUILT alternator! I went in and talked to one of the guys (not the same one she dealt with) and it only cost $73 and change for a NEW alternator with a 3 year warranty...

Did she "thank you" properly [emoji6]. Anyways i had a tech one time actually a lube tech, not put a filter on during an oil change. I always check before I leave the parking lot or watch them do the work. Hence why i got out of dealerships. They scam the **** out of people. Come to find out this lube guy had been doing this and they found a whole box of new filters behind his toolbox. Needless to say he got **********.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Trust but verify is my motto. And I do check each time work is performed on my vehicle regardless of who is doing it and how well they've done it in the past.

As a friend of mine says, "Defecation Occurs" and the only person who cares about your stuff is you. Keep an eye on it.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
When I met my then future and now current wife, she was a home health care nurse that had taken her mini van exclusively to the local Firestone for all the scheduled maintenance. I took over the maintenance and started to look over her receipts from Firestone and not a single visit was less than $700. They oversold her many times over prematurely on numerous tire and strut changes in addition to CV axle replacements and other stupid crap that never made sense.

I estimate they overcharged her for needless stuff in excess of $4000 over the three years she took here mini-van to them. Cost us about $500 in legal fees but we had a lawyer draft and sent a letter with implied threats to sue Firestone to their corporate offices. After a few phone calls back and forth, we got a check for the $4000 dollars. We did make contact with the state attorney general for possible criminal action but they never acted upon it.

kevperro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Dealers suck..... buy the truck and nothing else and get the hell out of there before they sell you some overpriced warranty or some other worthless ****.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You actually believe the guy has a side business selling $10 air filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the two dealers i take my truck to i can watch through windows as they work on it. i watch them jack it up to rotate. i watch them lift it to drain the oil.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
the two dealers i take my truck to i can watch through windows as they work on it. i watch them jack it up to rotate. i watch them lift it to drain the oil.

me too. still dot trust them. I mark the oil filter. and tire

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've been doing my own oil changes and tire rotations for years. Started it when I was young because of finances being low. I still do it now for peace of mind.

Fjleiter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Back in the late 80's I worked at a place that had a name ending in "Lube"...was a large national oil change company.

We used to give all customers a free car wash after their oil change. Car wash was a manual set up where the customer would pull in, you hit a button to close doors, another button to start wash. then reverse process when done (we usually left car in for 4-5 minutes)

After working there about a month, I quit the day a tech put a car in the wash driven by an elderly woman, got distracted and then went to lunch. No one figured out she was in there until I went to put one of my customers in almost an hour later. Woman was freaked out and crying. My boss basically told her, sorry...sh*t happens.

I walked out to my car and never went back. Not even to get my last paycheck.
(this was the last straw as to all the douchebaggery I witnessed)

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I've been doing my own oil changes and tire rotations for years. Started it when I was young because of finances being low. I still do it now for peace of mind.

me too. im sure the majority of us on this site do as well. but I have 4 free oil changes left. I stress out when anyone else is doing ANYTHING to any of my stuff. house, truck, land, whatever.

if anyone is in southern Michigan I will sell them to you if it is possible.

$25 each

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
By law car dealers have a monopoly on new car sales. This pretty much allows them to be as crooked as they want. You REALLY, REALLY have to watch what is going on and ask questions. It is pretty typical for a dealership to have signs all over the place about saying "factory trained auto technicians" or "certified automotive technicians".
The truth is they may have 1 tech that has training and holds certs; the rest will be low wage shade tree mechanics. IF they screw up; fired. Hire another just like him tomorrow.

I got royally screwed by a Ford dealer years ago; but if I did my research I would have found the dealership had a reputation of dishonest dealings.
I purchased a '89 Bronco XLT in '92; it was a beauty. I purchased a bumper to bumper 1 year warranty on it. About 10 months after I bough it the transmission started slipping. I took it back to them and they reported there was nothing wrong seriously; but they changed the fluid, filter and adjusted. Transmission was just fine.
2 months later, transmission failed completely. I took it back to them; and my warranty had expired 2 days before. They told me needs a new transmission; $5000. I showed them the receipt of for the work 2 months before and I was told it was just fine. Total BS! It was on the verge of failing completely. I had to have it towed to another shop and have it rebuilt; cost $2800 which wiped out my meager savings. 2 year later that dealership went out of business being hit by lawsuits for fraud and all kinds of things.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
By law car dealers have a monopoly on new car sales. This pretty much allows them to be as crooked as they want. You REALLY, REALLY have to watch what is going on and ask questions. It is pretty typical for a dealership to have signs all over the place about saying "factory trained auto technicians" or "certified automotive technicians".
The truth is they may have 1 tech that has training and holds certs; the rest will be low wage shade tree mechanics. IF they screw up; fired. Hire another just like him tomorrow.

I got royally screwed by a Ford dealer years ago; but if I did my research I would have found the dealership had a reputation of dishonest dealings.
I purchased a '89 Bronco XLT in '92; it was a beauty. I purchased a bumper to bumper 1 year warranty on it. About 10 months after I bough it the transmission started slipping. I took it back to them and they reported there was nothing wrong seriously; but they changed the fluid, filter and adjusted. Transmission was just fine.
2 months later, transmission failed completely. I took it back to them; and my warranty had expired 2 days before. They told me needs a new transmission; $5000. I showed them the receipt of for the work 2 months before and I was told it was just fine. Total BS! It was on the verge of failing completely. I had to have it towed to another shop and have it rebuilt; cost $2800 which wiped out my meager savings. 2 year later that dealership went out of business being hit by lawsuits for fraud and all kinds of things.

on that note..... $20 each.. LOL

OP
OP
G

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You actually believe the guy has a side business selling $10 air filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely. I know for a fact it happens. Actually, all the time. Much worse things happen all the time too. Theft happens, literally, everywhere. In industries like automotive repair, it happens more often than not when a business employs the lowest bidder. One of the better paying dealer service departments is with Toyota, and they start at $11-11.50. Do the math, and that's less than $500/week before taxes. Those are the guys changing oil and air filters...

I've seen guys just hit the dirty filter with a air gun, blasting all the heavy dirt out, and pop it right back in, stash the new air filter in their tool box. Do that 20 time's a week, that's an extra $200/week in their pocket, assuming the air filters sell for $10/each.

However the OEM 5.7 Hemi Ram filter isn't $10. It's like $45-60 Mopar OEM Dodge Ram Replacement Air Filter - AutoTruckToys.com. The dealer charged me $10 installed. If it wasn't so cheap, I would have just waited, and done a K&N or splurge a little on a Vararam. Regardless, factor a 2nd hand sale for a NIB OEM 5.7 Hemi Ram air filter at $20-30 (easily obtainable on forums, ebay, ect.). Split that to $25/each, times 20/weekly, and that's $500 in their pocket per week. With zero overhead. Tempting.

These specific guys knowing that they will get away with it 99/100, because *most* people don't EVER check on something, unless there's something wrong with their vehicle. And it's easy enough for them to slight of hand what they're doing to not catch the attention of the other employees in the shop. Hell, they almost got me - I wouldn't have known anything until my next oil change when they would be trying to sell me another air filter! I would have felt ashamed, considering my solid tenure being a high performance tech, prior to switching careers to medical. Lol.

Anyways, I'm a big believer in proper ethics. I have, and still do, grill all my family and friends when it come's to how they take care of their vehicles. How important it is to properly maintain THE most important non-biological (their brain - bad medical joke, I apologize for that, lol) tool they use almost daily, that enables them to earn an income. But also, to make sure they don't get up-sold on useless ****, and not get ripped off - because even in the MUCH more lucrative area of automotive I worked in, scams, and flat out theft occurred, and I hated seeing it, and didn't put up with it.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Absolutely. I know for a fact it happens. Actually, all the time. Much worse things happen all the time too. Theft happens, literally, everywhere. In industries like automotive repair, it happens more often than not when a business employs the lowest bidder. One of the better paying dealer service departments is with Toyota, and they start at $11-11.50. Do the math, and that's less than $500/week before taxes. Those are the guys changing oil and air filters...

I've seen guys just hit the dirty filter with a air gun, blasting all the heavy dirt out, and pop it right back in, stash the new air filter in their tool box. Do that 20 time's a week, that's an extra $200/week in their pocket, assuming the air filters sell for $10/each.

However the OEM 5.7 Hemi Ram filter isn't $10. It's like $45-60 Mopar OEM Dodge Ram Replacement Air Filter - AutoTruckToys.com. The dealer charged me $10 installed. If it wasn't so cheap, I would have just waited, and done a K&N or splurge a little on a Vararam. Regardless, factor a 2nd hand sale for a NIB OEM 5.7 Hemi Ram air filter at $20-30 (easily obtainable on forums, ebay, ect.). Split that to $25/each, times 20/weekly, and that's $500 in their pocket per week. With zero overhead. Tempting.

These specific guys knowing that they will get away with it 99/100, because *most* people don't EVER check on something, unless there's something wrong with their vehicle. And it's easy enough for them to slight of hand what they're doing to not catch the attention of the other employees in the shop. Hell, they almost got me - I wouldn't have known anything until my next oil change when they would be trying to sell me another air filter! I would have felt ashamed, considering my solid tenure being a high performance tech, prior to switching careers to medical. Lol.

Anyways, I'm a big believer in proper ethics. I have, and still do, grill all my family and friends when it come's to how they take care of their vehicles. How important it is to properly maintain THE most important non-biological (their brain - bad medical joke, I apologize for that, lol) tool they use almost daily, that enables them to earn an income. But also, to make sure they don't get up-sold on useless ****, and not get ripped off - because even in the MUCH more lucrative area of automotive I worked in, scams, and flat out theft occurred, and I hated seeing it, and didn't put up with it.

I worked at a tire shop for a few years that did full service as well. Their name might ring a Bell to you if i said it. Anyway, their was no theft or scams going on at all but i know different places and businesses are different.

what was happening is a lot of idiots working on cars and truck, screwing things up and making a bad name for me/us as a "tire Tech". frequently the 1 ton trucks would get their lug nuts torqued down to the incorrect spec/order ( at the time it was supposed to be around 160 and they were doing 120) and wheels would either end up coming of or egging out lug nut hoes on rims when the customer is driving. it never happened with the steel wheel trucks. It was ALWAYS the aluminum dully rims. They were very touchy with torque specs. Technically they were supposed to be re-torqued once after so many miles of being off.

the techs would just grab the torque bar that was used for the 1/2 ton trucks instead of grabbing the adjustable one. they were just lazy and didnt want to spin the adjuster around 30 times to get it to 160 and then have to zero it out every time they are done (thats what were were told to do).

they would also do some things during flat tire repairs that I wont go into.

EDIT and i cant believe my air filter is $45

Last edited:

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Sometimes its good to watch through the window too.

About 15 years ago I took my vehicle in for lube oil and filter and front end alignment at a local lube joint.
Saw some unusual back and forth through the window and barged my way into the bay.

Dipstick had drained my oil and replaced filter while on the alignment rack. Finished the alignment and started it and drove it off the rack before realizing he hadn't replaced oil.

Fortunately manager grabbed synthetic and quickly filled it while still running or it probably never would have started again.

Made them drop the pan, checked the magnet and then do it again after 800 miles. I lucked out (or their insurance did) and that 5.9L Magnum ran strong for another 100K miles.

silver surfer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a free oil change done at my dealer just before a 4000 mile trip to Sturgis towing my rv. I'm not big in going under the hood regularly ( or at all), so when I finally did just prior to next oil change I found the oil filler cap neatly tucked into the cutout on the radiator cowl. Tech never put it back on! Took pictures for the dealer to see and got a "sorry". Now I check all the work.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Back in the late 80's I worked at a place that had a name ending in "Lube"...was a large national oil change company.

We used to give all customers a free car wash after their oil change. Car wash was a manual set up where the customer would pull in, you hit a button to close doors, another button to start wash. then reverse process when done (we usually left car in for 4-5 minutes)

After working there about a month, I quit the day a tech put a car in the wash driven by an elderly woman, got distracted and then went to lunch. No one figured out she was in there until I went to put one of my customers in almost an hour later. Woman was freaked out and crying. My boss basically told her, sorry...sh*t happens.

I walked out to my car and never went back. Not even to get my last paycheck.
(this was the last straw as to all the douchebaggery I witnessed)

The investigation video's show everything. I never go to them except for inspection, but I think I've got a new shop for that now. I can't go to dealers because of their endless scams.

I don't blame you for walking off, hopefully you didn't leave your customer in the bay when you left...