BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mlehn5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
BFG AT KO2 LT27560R20.JPG 2015 1500.JPG Just put on a set of BFG TA KO2s on my 2015... have been surprised by how good they feel and how quiet they are. Was expecting more road noise and rougher ride.....what I got was no perceptible increase in noise over my Goodyear P series tires...and a good step up in drive 'feel'..... what I did experience is a 2 mpg decrease in mileage.... something I'm okay with.

Last edited:

Rader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
I live on a dirt road and spend a lot of time on trails. I have run BFG ATs on Jeeps Toyota and full size trucks for many many years. Only had ONE go bad before they wore out. BFG's write up on KO2 design.

GREENVILLE, S.C., Sept. 9, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- BFGoodrich® Tires, the company that created the first all-terrain tire in 1976, is set to launch its most advanced light truck tire ever this fall with the new All-Terrain T/A® KO2 tire.

Engineered from BFGoodrich's championship off-road motorsports racing technology, the KO2 delivers exceptional toughness, durability and traction for traversing harsh conditions, including gravel, dirt, rock, mud and snow. The new KO2 will give consumers the confidence to take on the toughest challenges for work or play.

The BFGoodrich® All-Terrain T/A® KO2 tire is the first consumer tire to incorporate the company's race-proven and race-winning CoreGard™ technology that gives it unmatched toughness against sidewall splitting. Compared to the already formidable current KO tire, the new KO2 is 20 percent stronger in this critical off-road performance area1.

The rugged KO2 is also durable, lasting twice as long on gravel roads and 15 percent longer on asphalt2, allowing off-road enthusiasts to extend their adventures and working professionals to get more use out of the tire.

In addition, the KO2 improves its already legendary tradition of all-terrain performance with 10 percent greater traction in the mud3 and 19 percent greater traction in the snow4 compared to the previous-generation KO tire.

The KO2 is an all-season tire that will carry the 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake symbol, indicating that it exceeds the Rubber Manufacturer Association's severe snow traction requirements.

Building on BFG's long heritage as an innovative all-terrain tiremaker, the KO2 incorporates technology developed and tested through the brand's legendary off-road motorsports teams that have earned 80 off-road wins at races in the Baja peninsula – by far the most of any other tire brand.

"Thirty-eight years ago, BFGoodrich launched a tire that created the all-terrain category," said Dan Newsome, BFGoodrich Tires country marketing manager for Light Truck Tires. "Just a year later, the company launched the original KO, which defined the all-terrain tire category for decades. BFGoodrich is once again unleashing a game-changer that will take on anything 'Playground Earth' has to dish out. It grips better on mud and snow, while lasting longer on gravel and asphalt. The KO2 is designed as a tire that will pose no boundaries for drivers taking on a new world of adventures."

In developing the KO2, BFG engineers leveraged the latest off-road racing technology to provide consumers with an advanced tire to meet a range of conditions. KO2 borrows heavily from the BFGoodrich® Baja T/A® KR2 tire, which was equipped on nine of the top 10 finishers in the 2014 Tecate SCORE Baja 500. Key features of the KO2 include:

• Tougher Sidewalls: The KO2 uses CoreGard technology developed in the Baja T/A KR2 for split and bruise-resistant sidewall rubber and a thicker, extended shoulder to prevent sidewall failures. Computer modeling was used to predict object paths and create a sidewall design most likely to deflect protruding objects, reducing the chances of splits and snags. The result is a tougher tire as consumers take on trails of various conditions.
  • Longer Treadlife: The KO2 has a new tread design and rubber formulation that helps it last twice as long on gravel and 15 percent longer on asphalt than the previous tire. The tread rubber has been optimally blended to reduce chips and tears on gravel. A new footprint shape and interlocking tread design provide more uniform wear over the long haul. Special stone ejectors push objects out of the tread to reduce drilling into the tire.
  • Aggressive Traction: The KO2 also has a range of tread features for better mud and snow traction. Side-Biter lugs in the sidewall improve traction in mud, snow and rocks. Raised bars in the shoulder help release compacted mud for better traction in soft soil. 3-D sipes create biting edges for better snow traction.
"The KO2 has an obvious appeal for the serious off-road enthusiast," said Newsome. "It's also expected to appeal to anyone who regularly faces challenging gravel, dirt or snow-covered roads. The KO2's toughness, durability and traction – as well as its improved treadlife and great road manners – deliver strong benefits, whether for work, play or just to get home."

The KO2 will be released to consumers on Nov. 1, initially in 12 sizes fitting a range of vehicles, including Ford, Chevrolet, GMC, Dodge, Toyota and Nissan pick-up trucks and SUV's as well as Plus Fitments for a wide variety of vehicles. The MSRP for the tire starts at $222. Additional sizes will be released in 2015.

For more information, photos and videos about the BFGoodrich® All-Terrain T/A® KO2 tire, please visit www.BFGoodrichTiresKO2.com.

About BFGoodrich® Tires
With more than 100 years of heritage, BFGoodrich® Tires is dedicated to providing high performance tires for those who have a passion for driving in virtually any environment. Combining technical expertise with 40 years of motorsports experience, BFGoodrich Tires delivers tires for a full range of driving experiences from ultra-high performance street to off-road terrain with one common theme – extreme performance. Come upgrade your performance with BFGoodrich and see where our tires can take you at www.BFGoodrichTires.com, on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/BFGoodrichTires or on Twitter at @BFGoodrichTires.

1 Based on internal sidewall splitting test vs. BFGoodrich® All-Terrain T/A KO tire in size LT265/70R17. Sidewall splitting test results were derived from a simulated sidewall aggression testing machine (patent pending US20120245859A1).

2 Off-road results based on commissioned third-party gravel endurance tests vs. BFGoodrich® All-Terrain T/A KO tire size LT265/70R17. On-road results based on internal wear tests vs. BFGoodrich® All-Terrain T/A KO tire size LT265/70R17

3 Based on internal subjective mud condition traction tests using SAE ratings and converted to percentage by competitive analysis programs vs. BFGoodrich® All-Terrain T/A KO tire in size LT 265/70R17.

4 Based on commissioned third-party tests vs. BFGoodrich® All-Terrain T/A KO tire in size LT 265/70R17. Standard GM Spin test was used.

tucka71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Ko2's are nice. Just not for a 2500 ram..mine lasted 11 months and I had to replace them.

stevehh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Goodrich are made by Michelin, or Michelin are made by Goodrich, I can never remember which. Anyway, I've loved my AT's, but when I put them on my '03 Cummins I lost 2 mpg - about 10%. That adds up over the life of the tire. I got over 100,000 miles on a set on my 4Runner.

The best way to determine the right psi is the Engineering ratio method. Whatever your load is going to be on the tire (aka from a truck scale, then adjust for what you're going to be hauling), divide by the sidewall rating, and multiply by the sidewall max psi. That's the best combination of wear, mpg, and traction.

BTW, "footprint area" is the weight on the tire divided by the psi. Lbs divided by lbs/in^2 gives you in^2 or si.

nsiddall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just got these yesterday. Upgraded to 285 75 17. Dealer said it was the biggest they could fit stock. So far really happy with the look and ride. I cant wait to get them off road!

15438552045091290848973876750521.jpg

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
View attachment 148096 View attachment 148097 Just put on a set of BFG TA KO2s on my 2015... have been surprised by how good they feel and how quiet they are. Was expecting more road noise and rougher ride.....what I got was no perceptible increase in noise over my Goodyear P series tires...and a good step up in drive 'feel'..... what I did experience is a 2 mpg decrease in mileage.... something I'm okay with.

What pressure you running them at? Even before I talked to that bfg rep who told me I should be running them at 55, I was running mine at 39, the same as the Goodyear’s and, they didn’t ride too awfully bad. I mean, you could feel more bumps in the road than than before but I think my air ride is what contributed to a little bit that. But also as I said to someone else, they also felt spongy and sloppy to me at that low of pressure too. They might not have rode as harsh but they sure as hell didn’t corner, handle and stop as well as those Goodyear’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ko2's are nice. Just not for a 2500 ram..mine lasted 11 months and I had to replace them.

Really?...lol. I figured an 8-ply would go hand in hand with a 3/4 ton considering the stockers on my 1/2 ton are 4-ply.

Do you tow a lot? Thrash on them off-road? Driving near highway speeds on gravel roads? Were you keeping them properly inflated, and keeping them rotated? How many miles did you drive on them in those 11 months to wear them out that quick?

Yeah I had mine on my 1500 for 9 months, and put just a little bit over 12,000 miles on them, and they didn’t even look worn at all hardly when I pulled them off Saturday. Discount Tire put the tread depth gauge on them because I was talking about hopefully getting them prorated towards my new tires. I don’t know what they said they had for tread left, but it didn’t matter because I ended up taking the tires home though, because they were only going to give me like 70 bucks a tire and I said I could get more than that if I sell them myself.

I think when they were knew they had like 13/32 of tread on them but I think they’re probably only down no more than maybe 12 or 11. Might have only seen real off-roading one time since i had them. They’ve only pulled one heavy trailer, and 99% of the miles that are on them have all been highway miles. And the only gravel roads that they’ve seen is the street my house is on. And whether I am leaving or coming in, it only to totals about a half a mile traveled every time i leave or go home.

Sure would like to hear the history on yours, tho.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Goodrich are made by Michelin, or Michelin are made by Goodrich, I can never remember which. Anyway, I've loved my AT's, but when I put them on my '03 Cummins I lost 2 mpg - about 10%. That adds up over the life of the tire. I got over 100,000 miles on a set on my 4Runner.

The best way to determine the right psi is the Engineering ratio method. Whatever your load is going to be on the tire (aka from a truck scale, then adjust for what you're going to be hauling), divide by the sidewall rating, and multiply by the sidewall max psi. That's the best combination of wear, mpg, and traction.

BTW, "footprint area" is the weight on the tire divided by the psi. Lbs divided by lbs/in^2 gives you in^2 or si.

When I spoke to that Michelin rep the other day she told me that Michelin owns bf Goodrich and uniroyal. As far as whether or not Michelin actually makes those other two brands, that I don’t know. I doubt it. It may be one of those things that shares the ignorance of mopar haters on Facebook who like to think that just because Fiat owns Chrysler, they think that everything Chrysler now is a gottdamn Fiat!...lol. Makes me wanna reach through the phone and slap a snotbubble outta them. Lol.

PJ Snyder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can't go wrong with the BF Goodrich TA All Terrains. I have used them for over 30 years and have been very satisfied. I currently have them on my Ram and Grand Cherokee. Discount Tire is a good place to buy them. I have to agree, I never had good luck with Goodyear tires.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can't go wrong with the BF Goodrich TA All Terrains. I have used them for over 30 years and have been very satisfied. I currently have them on my Ram and Grand Cherokee. Discount Tire is a good place to buy them. I have to agree, I never had good luck with Goodyear tires.

Ive had some good luck with Goodyear’s, just not these ******, bottom of the barrel sras.

50BMG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
WoW! That's a pretty good size bulge there Lone Star (That's what she said! LoL...)

I used to run BFG AT TKO/TKO2 tires 275-65 R20 on all my full size Rams (even ran BFG AT/TA's on my old Dakota too!). They ALL lasted a long time (50K-60K+) and although not "silent" they didn't hum too much and were generally great quality tires. WAY better tires than anything Goodyear has ever delivered

When the last TKO2 set wore out, I tried the New General Grabber ATX in the same size (275-65 R20). They rated about the same/great quality on TireRack as the TKO2 and were $100-$200 less in cost, so I thought I'd give them a try. (Discount Tire is my shop of choice too!)
I only got about 2 months on driving on them, but overall, I liked them enough to probably buy another set when the newer/2016 Ram's factory tires go pooh-pooh.
The ATX's hummed a little bit at speed too. Not necessarily louder than I remember the TKO2, but just at a different/slightly higher "note" on the hum scale...

You'll like the TKO2s... The only bad thing about them is the cost, but ALL good quality 20" tires are on the pricey side it seems...

50BMG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
View attachment 148096 View attachment 148097 Just put on a set of BFG TA KO2s on my 2015... have been surprised by how good they feel and how quiet they are. Was expecting more road noise and rougher ride.....what I got was no perceptible increase in noise over my Goodyear P series tires...and a good step up in drive 'feel'..... what I did experience is a 2 mpg decrease in mileage.... something I'm okay with.

mlehn5, You actually didn't get the mileage decrease you think you did...
The mileage on your truck's ODO/computer is different because the tire diameter of your new tires is slightly larger. So, the wheel makes less rotations per mile due to the bigger circumference of the new tire, and, since your computer see's the wheel rotating less per mile, but you are still using the same mount of gas, it is calculating your loss of @ 2miles per gallon. In reality, your mileage is actually about the same...
I confirmed this 2 ways on my truck; by doing the math (comparing the rotations per mile on the 2 different diameter tires) and also on the road using a separate window-mounted GPS device when I took a 200 mile road trip in the truck one day.

Since the difference it so minor, I don't think it would be worth the effort to change the speedo gear to correct for it, but you also need to remember that your speedo is slightly "off" on the low-side of your actual speed too. Since the diameter difference makes the speedo off by a "percentage" of the actual speed, the faster you go, the higher the difference in the actual and speedo-measured speed will be. So 70MPH, is probably actually closer to 73-75MPH.
Of course, the Po-Po's radar clocks your real speed...
:eek::oops::(:33:

50BMG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

See my response to mlehn5.. You probably didn't actually lose the mileage you think you did...

Danny5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Just wanted to throw my hat in for the K02s as well. I had the factory SRAs fail in spectacular fashion at just over 25k miles, causing over a thousand dollars in damages. Discount Tire saved us and gave us a great deal over Memorial Day Weekend. They tow just find, and the peace of mind is priceless. We keep em at 50psi

wpI9x43.jpg

OP
OP
LoneStarSilver

LoneStarSilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My first Ram, a 2009, needed tires so I bought the Michelin’s and though they ran great and rode super smoothly, they were useless once I left the roadway, which I did about 50% of the time. If I bought the highest end Ram available, that for the most part was going to be a commuter vehicle, with possibly a little towing of a travel trailer, boat or such. My tires would definitely be Michelin’s!! I however need a tire that gives good pavement service and better off road service that will offer long tread life and most everything I have read about the KO2’s state that they do just that!! So I will definitely put them to the test!!

Well I did get a chance this weekend to get offroad and see how well the BFG KO2's worked and they did not let me down. There were a couple of feeders that had some soft soil around them and the tires bit like a rabid dog. I don't think they spun at any time and they really powered through. I am really glad they did as I was the only one around and I have very little if any cell tower in the back of the lease. They did a really good job of not holding a lot of the mud/rocks that I drove through. Most of it let lose at a slow speed that I was driving on the lease. I really like these tires so far. I hope they hold up on road wear to what I have read in most of the review's.

OP
OP
LoneStarSilver

LoneStarSilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just wanted to throw my hat in for the K02s as well. I had the factory SRAs fail in spectacular fashion at just over 25k miles, causing over a thousand dollars in damages. Discount Tire saved us and gave us a great deal over Memorial Day Weekend. They tow just find, and the peace of mind is priceless. We keep em at 50psi

wpI9x43.jpg

Danny5,

That is a beautiful background in your picture. What part of Arizona was that taken in?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
mlehn5, You actually didn't get the mileage decrease you think you did...
The mileage on your truck's ODO/computer is different because the tire diameter of your new tires is slightly larger. So, the wheel makes less rotations per mile due to the bigger circumference of the new tire, and, since your computer see's the wheel rotating less per mile, but you are still using the same mount of gas, it is calculating your loss of @ 2miles per gallon. In reality, your mileage is actually about the same...
I confirmed this 2 ways on my truck; by doing the math (comparing the rotations per mile on the 2 different diameter tires) and also on the road using a separate window-mounted GPS device when I took a 200 mile road trip in the truck one day.

Since the difference it so minor, I don't think it would be worth the effort to change the speedo gear to correct for it, but you also need to remember that your speedo is slightly "off" on the low-side of your actual speed too. Since the diameter difference makes the speedo off by a "percentage" of the actual speed, the faster you go, the higher the difference in the actual and speedo-measured speed will be. So 70MPH, is probably actually closer to 73-75MPH.
Of course, the Po-Po's radar clocks your real speed...
:eek::oops::(:33:

See my response to mlehn5.. You probably didn't actually lose the mileage you think you did...
Since the first guy you quoted is running his new bfgs at the OEM size - I’m not sure if the guy with the Cummins is doing the same or not but your idea of telling the first guy that his 2 mpg loss is due to tire revolutions is not right. What you’re saying would only matter if he went up several sizes in tires in order for him to basically be not racking up the miles he should be racking up between fillups. Even though the bfg has like 13/32nds of tread and the sras only have maybe 12, that’s not much of a difference to slow his speed down that much. Did you not take into effect that those bfgs are 15 pounds per tire heavier than the Goodyear’s?? They also have like, three times the traction as the Goodyear’s so, rolling resistance is gonna be a lot greater, making your truck consume more fuel.

I haven’t driven on my new Michelin’s long enough to tell completely but I guarantee ya I’ll probably get that full 2mpgs back after taking the bfgs off.

Hell, on the way home, my mds actually stayed on longer too all the sudden.

PJ Snyder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just curious but what pressures do you run yours at? I’m assuming those you got are the OEM size 8-ply’s right? I called BFG one day and asked them what to run mine at and I was advised by them to run them at 55psi- or no lower than 50. I started mine out at 55 and I will say- they felt a lot less spongy at that pressure than they did at 39 which is the recommended pressure for the stock SRA’s but the truck really rode like it had solid rubber skid-steer tires...lol.

I’ve gone back and forth on pressures with mine so many times in hopes to find a sweet spot but I just can’t. These tires beat me to death no matter what pressure I run them at, which is why I’m getting rid of them.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run my TA radicals at 50 psi and am satisfied with the performance.

That’s good and I guess that’s all that matters..lol. As I’ve said many times, even my air ride was no match for these rough riding things.

Glad you like yours.