Bilstein 5100 couple questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KrisIL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I have them in my garage. Never done struts before where I had to compress spring. What is the best tool to use? Rent one from local autoparts store? Or buy one online? I don't mind buying if I won't have to spend more then $50.
Second question what should I expect while towing after I replace the shocks? I'm only replacing shock for bilstein. No spacers no springs.

regal81455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just did this job over the weekend. You could get away with the parts house rental but I bought this guy from Harbor Freight. Was $50 and some change after their 20% coupon. I think it was a good purchase as those springs are some serious energy should the compressor let go. Made it easy to have even pressure on both sides of the spring.

https://www.harborfreight.com/single-action-strut-spring-compressor-43753.html

OP
OP
K

KrisIL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you had any problems removing strut top nut? Mines looked like they are rusted pretty bad.

bohrman44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
Did you had any problems removing strut top nut? Mines looked like they are rusted pretty bad.

When I did mine I had a heck of a time with the top nut..i suggest soaking them in PB blaster for a day or two before you do the install...have some good vise grips too...help keep the shaft from spinning when your removing the nut

regal81455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Nope. Mine came right off with the impact. Use a offset box end wrench to hold the nut and put a socket on the shaft and spin it. Keep in mind you need to turn the shaft clockwise to loosen the nut. Spin it some, then back the other way a little to knock rust off that might build in the thread of the nut, and then go at it again. A little penetrating oil will definitely help too. If you don't have an impact, a ratchet will work the same way.

I'm not certain why people wanna fight trying to keep the shaft from spinning when it can be your ally here.

Just don't do that with your new struts. You'll wanna hold the shaft from spinning when tightening it back up.

One last thing. Make sure you put the washer from the hardware bag on before the hat. ;)
Alot of people think the washer goes under the new nut but that is not the case.

OP
OP
K

KrisIL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I seen a video where the guy suggested to install the compression tool snugly and then loosen the top nut. He said if we compress the spring first and then try to loosen the nut it will be hell of a job to do it.

regal81455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Meh. I left the spring compressed. Threw it all in a bench vise and proceeded as mentioned above.

OP
OP
K

KrisIL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do have the impact wrench so I will try that for sure. If not I'm going to cut the shock in half with sawzall ;)

Sgambots91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The spring compressor I got from my local auto parts store (auto zone) worked great, but the safety pins couldn’t be used. The spring was too big for them to slide over. So not sure if that makes you nervous or not. I didn’t care and it worked great.

looks like this
upload_2020-7-29_18-2-44.jpeg

LarryA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I have them in my garage. Never done struts before where I had to compress spring. What is the best tool to use? Rent one from local autoparts store? Or buy one online? I don't mind buying if I won't have to spend more then $50.
Second question what should I expect while towing after I replace the shocks? I'm only replacing shock for bilstein. No spacers no springs.
Since you mentioned towing - high high are you planning to set these? I would like a bit more clearance up front, but still want some rake as I do use my truck to occasionally tow as well. Will be curious how it works for you

Flryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I undid my old shocks to get the parts I needed for the 6112's the shaft nut was a bit rusty. Since I was not reusing the old shocks I put vice grips on the shock shaft and used my impact. The old nuts spun right off.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7

Take your struts off and bring them to a local shop with the Bilsteins and ask them to swap them out. They should have a machine that looks similar to mine
76182C86-51FA-4CC5-9229-0F8A5D0E8A73.jpeg
it should be around $50 or less. And you won’t risk breaking anything with the spring compressors made for cars

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used the type in post #11 . I have probably done it a dozen times with not one issue I guess I saved over $500.00 from what I read here then.

OP
OP
K

KrisIL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since you mentioned towing - high high are you planning to set these? I would like a bit more clearance up front, but still want some rake as I do use my truck to occasionally tow as well. Will be curious how it works for you
I have not replaced them yet. Have to find some time to do it again.

MudderRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On my Grand Cherokee I did Bilstein 5100s and loved the results but not how much work it took. Dealing with spring compressors is a pita and unsafe so for that reason I went with the plug and play solution from Rough County. I installed their 2" preloaded struts about two months ago and couldn't be happier. The ride is great and I got the advertised lift. Not trying to knock the Bils as they are great but for the simplicity of installation and cost of the RCs, I think I would pick them again over the Bils. Now if the 5100s came preloaded I would have picked them.

OP
OP
K

KrisIL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my Grand Cherokee I did Bilstein 5100s and loved the results but not how much work it took. Dealing with spring compressors is a pita and unsafe so for that reason I went with the plug and play solution from Rough County. I installed their 2" preloaded struts about two months ago and couldn't be happier. The ride is great and I got the advertised lift. Not trying to knock the Bils as they are great but for the simplicity of installation and cost of the RCs, I think I would pick them again over the Bils. Now if the 5100s came preloaded I would have picked them.
I wish I new this before. I might sell my bilsteins and buy rough country pre-loaded springs.

MudderRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wish I new this before. I might sell my bilsteins and buy rough country pre-loaded springs.
It's an option. If you keep the Bils you will be happy with them once installed.

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I am looking into replacing the stock shocks on my 1500. I got a proposal from a local shop that specializes in suspension mods. They quoted $659 for install AND a 4 wheel alignment (install = $500, alignment = $159). I know that's not a small sum but, to avoid all the grief and effort plus get the alignment you really need, it seems like a good deal to me. Also, compared to what some of us are ready to spend on components, it's not too bad either. Just my humble opinion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990