Bilstein b12 rear coil question ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

infernoxd45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm a recent member of the RAM club, having just bought a 2014 Big Horn. I've been researching options for a slight lift/level and have decided on the 5100 shocks, front and rear with adjustable's up front. I'll probably set them at 2.8 and then I'd like to add a 1" lift coil spring in the back so I'm almost level or slightly raked and can fit a good sized tire when its time. I'm looking at the Bilstein 36-286539 as an option for the coil, or a General Spring HD rear variable, part #GSV-3409. I like the idea of the "increased payload" in the General Spring and I can't find any info that says the Bilstein offers any advantage, other than lift. I understand "increased payload" is somewhat of a misnomer, considering you can't truly increase it. But if the General Spring option is really a heavier spring than the Bilstein, it makes sense to go that route. I'm trying to keep the spring budget at $200, so these seem to be my only two options. Anyone here with experience with General Spring? Or any other ideas? I'd rather not do spacers..
Here's what I'm working with since we all like pics of good looking trucks :)
cd274860f41857f6947589ffccfeead4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've run the TTC-1211's (give about .25" of lift on an empty truck with just the spring) along with a .75" TGC spacer and the Billsteins with the same .75" spacer. The stiffer springs are going to hurt you if you deal with any sort of washboard roads or actually like to offroad, but they do help noticeably with towing. The Billstein's on the other hand are pretty soft and I'd only expect the 1" of lift from an empty truck without anything else on it. There are also the Eibach springs, but they've been questionable upfront for some of us. That being said haven't heard any negatives about their rear springs other than the long ass backorder they went trough.

If you want both worlds the Icon springs are probably going to be the best compromise, but I personally would add some things like longer sway bar links and different shocks to account for the longer springs. There's also the SLF-140's from the Mopar 2" lift, but those will require additional parts due to their length.

I've got measurements around the Eibach threads using 5100's upfront with Eibach springs and the Billstein rears with the .75" spacers. Since my truck is a decent amount heavier with the bumpers, loaded toolbox, and some goodies inside it's not going to be an apples to apples comparison, but should give you an idea. There are also some higher end parts in that build up since the spring/shock situation is only temporary to get the truck back off the ground until I decide on what C/O's I want upfront and matching rear shocks.

Also @hodge-xj can give you his impressions of them since he was running them as well.

OP
OP
I

infernoxd45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've run the TTC-1211's (give about .25" of lift on an empty truck with just the spring) along with a .75" TGC spacer and the Billsteins with the same .75" spacer. The stiffer springs are going to hurt you if you deal with any sort of washboard roads or actually like to offroad, but they do help noticeably with towing. The Billstein's on the other hand are pretty soft and I'd only expect the 1" of lift from an empty truck without anything else on it.
I’ll prbly be mostly empty most of the time and running flat roads.. I do hit some back road fishing spots occasionally, but it’s only a couple of times a year. That being said, I’m looking at buying a travel trailer soon and it doesn’t sound like the Bilsteins would like that very much..
There are also the Eibach springs, but they've been questionable upfront for some of us. That being said haven't heard any negatives about their rear springs other than the long ass backorder they went trough.

If you want both worlds the Icon springs are probably going to be the best compromise, but I personally would add some things like longer sway bar links and different shocks to account for the longer springs. There's also the SLF-140's from the Mopar 2" lift, but those will require additional parts due to their length.

I've got measurements around the Eibach threads using 5100's upfront with Eibach springs and the Billstein rears with the .75" spacers. Since my truck is a decent amount heavier with the bumpers, loaded toolbox, and some goodies inside it's not going to be an apples to apples comparison, but should give you an idea. There are also some higher end parts in that build up since the spring/shock situation is only temporary to get the truck back off the ground until I decide on what C/O's I want upfront and matching rear shocks.

Also @hodge-xj can give you his impressions of them since he was running them as well.
Thanks for your input!

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I’ll prbly be mostly empty most of the time and running flat roads.. I do hit some back road fishing spots occasionally, but it’s only a couple of times a year. That being said, I’m looking at buying a travel trailer soon and it doesn’t sound like the Bilsteins would like that very much..

Yea the Billsteins wouldn't care too much for that. A progressive spring like the TTC-1223v or those GSV's you mentioned might be a better fit you combined with a small spacer since they're designed to keep stock ride height. The Icon's should also work well for that application. If I do need to start towing more often I'm probably just going to grab the AirLift 5000 bags that have the internal bumpers so I can run 0 PSI unloaded. Would allow me to keep the softer spring rate for the day to day driving out here on the crap roads and let me air up if I have a load or tow anything heavy. For now the rake from the Spring/Spacer combo is enough for lighter loads/utility trailers.

https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/89370/

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
If you tow bilsteins aren't a good choice. Even with airbags. They'll get you by here and there, but if you run heavy regularly icons or tuff truck coils would be more geared for that.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
I

infernoxd45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think that answer my questions. Thanks guys!