Bilsteins v. Leveling Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randt26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.8
I will admit that I am not great with suspension, I am looking for opinions on Bilsteins v. a ReadyLift leveling kit (2.5' front and 1" rear). I am being told that the leveling kit is a better option due to the fact that I will use my truck for towing. I was also told if i do the Bilsteins i will need to have a spacer in the rears, can I not put Bilsteins all the way around and skip the spacer. Love some advise, sorry i'm dumb with this.

kyleb8077

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Rebel
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The beauty of the Bilsteins is they are adjustable. You get 3 settings. 1.7"(i think), 2.1" and 2.8"You can raise the front end up just enough to actually "level". Or you can go all the way up to the highest setting (2.8" I believe) and put a spacer in the rear to increase height all the way around. Bilstein does not make adjustable shocks for the rear. They do make shocks for the rear that are beefier than stock but allows for an extra 1" of travel. Some confuse this with giving an extra inch of height. I don't have any experience with ReadyLift but I'm sure there are others that will chime in on those.

OP
OP
R

Randt26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.8
My lack of experience in this area and the comments i'm seeing about ball joints going out on the '14's has me very hesitant to putting a leveling kit in.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Bilsteins are a leveling kit if you choose and a far better option than leveling spacers. Bilsteins at 5 different height settings: 0" (stock), 0.7", 1.4" 2.1", and 2.8". Whatever you set them at is the additional front end lift you'll get.
There's absolutely no need to use a spacer in the rear just because you put Bilsteins on the front. Whoever told you that doesn't know what they're talking about. The front and back of the truck can be altered independently from each other.

The Bilsteins minimize the risk to the ball joint popping that some guys are having on the 2014+ trucks. The reason they pop is from the front suspension over extending (like it will with a spacer leveling kit). A Bilstein 5100 adjustable strut prevents the front suspension from over extending greatly reducing the risk of the ball joint popping.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
My lack of experience in this area and the comments i'm seeing about ball joints going out on the '14's has me very hesitant to putting a leveling kit in.
You could always put Mevotech UCA'S on too. They'll cost you another $100 but give you peace of mind!

dbrock34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I removed my 2.5" leveling kit and put on the Bilsteins at 2.8 and the ride is 100% better. When I had the leveling kit removed they told me the leveling kit had actually damaged my strut mounts. Spend a little extra money now and avoid any spacer kit.

TheReapersRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SPORT CC 6'4" BOX
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I've heard whispers of a few people having trouble with Bilsteins ? Mostly from fans of the spacer kits but it raises a good question...
Are Bilsteins a 100% safe leveling method for our '14+ trucks?
Any comments from people who have had problems with their Bilsteins on their '14+ ? Is this even true ?
I always thought Bilsteins were king at keeping our angles right and actually protecting the ball joints ?
Now I'm reading about having to beef up the UCA with MOVOTECH's or ZONE's ?? Not trying to hijack the thread but daaammnn lol

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
I've heard whispers of a few people having trouble with Bilsteins ? Mostly from fans of the spacer kits but it raises a good question...
Are Bilsteins a 100% safe leveling method for our '14+ trucks?
Any comments from people who have had problems with their Bilsteins on their '14+ ? Is this even true ?
I always thought Bilsteins were king at keeping our angles right and actually protecting the ball joints ?
Now I'm reading about having to beef up the UCA with MOVOTECH's or ZONE's ?? Not trying to hijack the thread but daaammnn lol

Nothing is 100% safe when it comes to trucks... not even stock suspension... Parts fail, it happens.

Bilsteins however are a far better option than spacers. Because a spacer is simply installed on top of an OEM strut it allows the suspension to over extend. That is where the ball joint will typically pop. They also do not allow the suspension to fully compress. Bilsteins keep the suspension traveling within the OEM range. The angles of the control arms/CV shafts will still be increased at ride height (same as a spacer kit) however you won't have the over extension that can often cause problems.

BIL-ADJSSS_zps83da2c35.jpg

Aftermarket control arms shouldn't be needed with Bilsteins. Some guys buy them for peace of mind but they aren't required. I wouldn't worry about them unless, for some reason, you have an issue.