Comp Cams Stage 1 Kit for towing.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyperlyteman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck started developing a lifter tick while towing last week (confirmed by my mechanic/next door neighbor). Thinking about doing the comp cams stage 1 kit. Specs are as follows:
Advertised Intake Duration: 269
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 271
Intake Duration at .050 Inch Lift: 216
Exhaust Duration at .050 Inch Lift: 222
Intake Valve Lift: 0.52
Exhaust Valve Lift: 0.515
Lobe Separation: 114

Comp cams says I don't need new springs, but the kit comes with new ones. Dumb question, but do I need to put them in?

I have the tools to do it and will be doing the work in my driveway with my mechanic.

Has anyone else done this cam? If you have, how much did it change driving characteristics? Or a different recommended cam/kit?

I do a pretty fair amount of towing (7000 lb travel trailer and a 4000 lb boat) and live in a fairly hilly area.

I'll also be doing JBA short headers, a larger throttle body, a new water pump and the melling high volume oil pump within the next 2 months.

Truck is an 09 1500 and already has a mildly built transmission (roughly equivalent to a stage 4 ATS), S&B Intake, magnaflow Exhaust and a hemifever tune.

My only downside is that I live in CA and need to keep this thing passing smog, so any advice on that would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been covered before.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Buy this stuff from whoever is going to tune you.

FRP , MOEs/HEMIFEVERE , Jay ect....

Yes new springs, new push rods.

Throttle bodies are nothing more than snake oil. Do the 6.4L intake swap if you want power.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
My truck started developing a lifter tick while towing last week (confirmed by my mechanic/next door neighbor). Thinking about doing the comp cams stage 1 kit. Specs are as follows:
Advertised Intake Duration: 269
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 271
Intake Duration at .050 Inch Lift: 216
Exhaust Duration at .050 Inch Lift: 222
Intake Valve Lift: 0.52
Exhaust Valve Lift: 0.515
Lobe Separation: 114

Comp cams says I don't need new springs, but the kit comes with new ones. Dumb question, but do I need to put them in?

I have the tools to do it and will be doing the work in my driveway with my mechanic.

Has anyone else done this cam? If you have, how much did it change driving characteristics? Or a different recommended cam/kit?

I do a pretty fair amount of towing (7000 lb travel trailer and a 4000 lb boat) and live in a fairly hilly area.

I'll also be doing JBA short headers, a larger throttle body, a new water pump and the melling high volume oil pump within the next 2 months.

Truck is an 09 1500 and already has a mildly built transmission (roughly equivalent to a stage 4 ATS), S&B Intake, magnaflow Exhaust and a hemifever tune.

My only downside is that I live in CA and need to keep this thing passing smog, so any advice on that would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been covered before.
If you're going in like it appears you are, long tube headers is key!
If short tubes is your route.... go AFE Power!

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have that same cam. It added 62 ponies at the wheels. My speed shop guy did replace springs and pushrods as well, and I went full MDS delete.
It's a great cam for just a bit more oomph while still being able to tow and do truck stuff.
Although I confess I don't tow at the moment, mines a typical part time daily driver/Lowes lumber hauler, and the stainless works LTs and dyno tune help her scoot down the local 1/4 mile track quite nicely.
I think you made a good choice and it sounds like a great build, fun and functional.
Sorry about California lol. I got the hell out of there a month after I turned 20 never looked back!

Just Bob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I am interested in doing a cam - eventually, so will track this thread. I think only one brand of Shorties has a CARB EO. I believe it's the 1961S series JBAs. I didn't care and bought EPA legal shorties - Kooks, the only ones with a lifetime warranty. Hope to not do that job again to test the warranty.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357