Separate brake and turn signal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hirst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2009 1500 and need to split the brake and turn signals. From searching all over to find out how to do this I keep seeing that the signals get joined in the multifunction switch.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the connectors that plug in to the brake switch and the multifunction switch so I can see where they join and determine how to disconnect please?

Once I have done this I will tap in to the 3rd brake light and run new wires to the rear lights.

Any help will be greatly received here as my truck will be off the road until i achieve this.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2009 1500 and need to split the brake and turn signals. From searching all over to find out how to do this I keep seeing that the signals get joined in the multifunction switch.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the connectors that plug in to the brake switch and the multifunction switch so I can see where they join and determine how to disconnect please?

Once I have done this I will tap in to the 3rd brake light and run new wires to the rear lights.

Any help will be greatly received here as my truck will be off the road until i achieve this.
It’s not physical circuits that are joined together somewhere. It’s what the TIPM is programmed to do, called combined rear lighting- the brake light wire for each rear tail light serves as the brake light and turn signal wire.
What is it you’re trying to do? Curt makes a module designed to separate the circuits for trailer lighting.

OP
OP
Hirst

Hirst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s not physical circuits that are joined together somewhere. It’s what the TIPM is programmed to do, called combined rear lighting- the brake light wire for each rear tail light serves as the brake light and turn signal wire.
What is it you’re trying to do? Curt makes a module designed to separate the circuits for trailer lighting.

I am in the UK and here we have to have yellow/amber turn signal lights, we can't have red.

We do this by fitting a new reverse light, in my case hanging under truck bed, then using the reverse section of the tail light with yellow bulbs for the turn signal and retain the tail light and brake in the large red section. I have my turn signal wire connected as mentioned but of course when the brake pedal is pressed the now yellow turn signals illuminate. I therefore want to remove the brake signal from those wires.

The brake signal obviously runs separate to the turn signal somewhere as the 3rd brake light doesn't flash when using the turn signal. That is why I was going to tap in to this for my brake lights and run new wires. So in theory until I can separate the combined rear lighting when I brake I will have normal looking brake lights with yellow lights below them.

I understand that the TIPM is programmed to combine the signal and feed down the same wire but surely as they are activated at different sources (turn signal at multifunction switch and brake signal from brake switch), if I can stop the brake signal getting to the TIPM to be combined, when I press the brake it will not know to activate the lights on the turn signal wire.

I believe that on the 2500 and 3500 it is as simple as changing a setting with the dealer sotware but I have not seen that is possible on a 1500.

I have seen the curt module that you mention but i'd rather do with changes to wiring.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The third brake light has its own dedicated feed that originates at the TIPM. You can’t do anything at the brake switch or the multi switch because all they do is send the message to the TIPM, which interprets that message and send the appropriate signal down the output wire. Sure, you could tap into the third brake light, but nothing is going to stop the amber turn signals from coming on with the brakes except either programming or a module. Looking through AlfaOBD, I do see a setting to disable combined rear lighting, but I don’t see a setting to turn on the dedicated turn signal outputs on the TIPM (which would have to be added, and run back to your turn signal bulbs). There must be some sort of “export” lighting sales code the dealer can add, I would think. That curt module might be your easiest route, though, and they probably even make a plug n play harness for the ram.

OP
OP
Hirst

Hirst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That makes sense for the brake and multi switch.

I found this in relation to chassis cab rams
http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2009/docs/dcdm/dcdmextlitmod.pdf#[0,{"name":"FitH"},759]
View media item 29006
Do you think this is what AlfaOBD would achieve by disabling the combined rear lighting. If so, would that remove the need to turn on dedicated turn outputs as the turn output remains on the current turn/brake wire?
If that’s how the 2009-2012 rams are programmed for when combined rear lighting is disabled, then yes. It’s the opposite way on the 2013+ rams, if combined rear lighting is disabled, the existing stop/turn circuit becomes stop circuit only.

OP
OP
Hirst

Hirst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If that’s how the 2009-2012 rams are programmed for when combined rear lighting is disabled, then yes. It’s the opposite way on the 2013+ rams, if combined rear lighting is disabled, the existing stop/turn circuit becomes stop circuit only.

Thank you so much for your help. I guess I better invest in AlfaOBD and an OBDlink and see if I can get it to work.

OP
OP
Hirst

Hirst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
Hirst

Hirst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My OBDLink arrived yesterday so I thought I would have a go at disabling the combined rear lights. I decided to use Appcar DiagFCA instead of AlfaOBD, purely because it looked the easier to use as I have not used anything like this before. I also have AlfaOBD demo and might still get the full version as Appcar only allows use with 1 vin.

Anyway, it worked, and I now have turn signals with no brake lights. Now I just need to run a couople of wires and connect some brakes up :)

Something else I have seen during my search for a solution to this is that some trucks have an unconnected brake wire above the spare wheel. People seem to think that it is there so that brake lights can be easily wired when a cap is fitted. Is anyone able to confirm that this exists as it sounds easier than tapping in to the 3rd brake lilght.

Okss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Which command is needed to do that?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess I’m just not familiar with how they do things overseas but since your truck is basically wired from the factory to be a certain way, are they actually forcing you to modify your vehicle from factory specs to where you’ve got separate brake lights from your turn signals? That just seems odd to me that they would make you change it because that’s how your truck came from the factory.

But are you having to buy new tail lights as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Unfortunately that is how it works overseas. There are LED and Incandescent tail lights from 2019 HD trucks that can be used now to accoplish this. You still need a minor rewiring tho.

Last edited:

regal81455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well if you have the 7pin trailer connector at the back of the truck you could always tap the brake controller wire ( blue #2 pin ) for your new brake signal and then use the original turn/brake for turns only. Just a thought.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well if you have the 7pin trailer connector at the back of the truck you could always tap the brake controller wire ( blue #2 pin ) for your new brake signal and then use the original turn/brake for turns only. Just a thought.
Pin 2 on the 7-way would be ground. Pin 3 is the electric brake feed, which is a green wire (no blue wire on the ram 7-way wiring), but that circuit is pulsed based on brake application. Either way, that would still leave the amber turn signals coming on with the brakes. Like mentioned earlier in the thread, a module, such as the curt, could be used to separate the trailer brake/turn signal circuits, or just reconfigure the bcm to disable the combined rear lighting feature.

regal81455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My bad on the pin #2 and color. The correct pin # would actually be "C" and it is a fused 12v source - dark blue in color. I do believe this would provide a brake light if it is tapped for one. I'll be able to confirm this actually tonight because I intend to use it for a different but same purpose.

If the amber turns come on with the brakes is that necessarily a big deal? If they are just brighter than normal and steady and then function as turns like they are supposed to? I would guess it wouldn't but I'm not the authority on the subject either. Just offering a possible solution to his problem.

223483087.jpg 223610136.gif

View attachment 245730

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello Hirst, just to confirm, yes the wire above the spare tire is for the 3rd brake light on the bed topper (cap). The end of this wire is located on the right side of the wire harness that crosses the frame.

regal81455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So as a matter of record tapping the blue brake controller wire did infact engage the brake light. Unfortunately as mentioned it is PWM so unless u can deal with the flashing it will not work for you. Good luck in your endeavors.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My wiring is all scattered here
Maybe you can spot the wiring for the Caps & Slide in Campers rear brake light

620L3M.jpg

Z2K5zJ.jpg

uE8A0d.jpg