Brake controller installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gawdzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Am I better off having an electric brake controller (for hauling a fiberglass travel trailer, 2600 lbs) installed by a Dodge dealer or U-Haul? My vehicle is a 2017 Ram 1500 4x4, already has the plug for 7 prong and 4 point plugs and a class IV hitch receiver.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The factory brake controller has the ability to use braking force, vehicle speed and other information from the ABS/vehicle stability controls, anything aftermarket can't come close. It's well worth the extra money for the amount of vehicle integration, especially when any trailer brake information is on the EVIC(included failure warnings) instead of below the dash.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
If and this seems to be a very BIG IF you get a competent technician in a competent dealership,
which from reading various barke controller issues is a big gamble anymore.
I like to find a dealership that used mechanics instead of "technicians"

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
kick back with a beverage & view this video
This guy makes good videos, he does not skip things

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I've had both the OEM controller and a Tekonsha P3 in two different 4th gen 1500's.

Personally, I liked the Tekonsha P3 better. It was plug and play with the correct adapter cable.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
It isn't very hard to install the OEM unit - I bought one out of a junkyard and installed it, then easily used AlphaOBD to tell the truck that it now had the oem brake controller.
That depends on your age and flexibilty, I have the parts but haven't installed it yet as I expect my back to try and kick my butt when trying to get down and install it.

Heatheroo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I've had both the OEM controller and a Tekonsha P3 in two different 4th gen 1500's.

Personally, I liked the Tekonsha P3 better. It was plug and play with the correct adapter cable.
I installed a Tekonsha Primus IQ. Using the adapter cable, installation takes about 10 minutes, setup/adjustment maybe another 10 minutes. I'm hauling a 3500lb travel trailer with a 2019 RAM 1500 Classic and it works fine.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I installed a Tekonsha, no doubt it's a fine controller, but for me it was a serious knee knocker. So I installed the OEM controller, should have done it in the beginning. IMO a much better controller than the Tekonsha and provides all the OEM benefits mentioned by Crash in post #3. It's a no-brainer, easy install, no need to be concerned about the installer's ability. Just be sure it is flashed into the truck's system.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
True true. I don't bend like I used to under dashes either. Mine didn't come with the bracket (or more likely, I misplaced it), so I didn't fight that battle - just velco/zip tied it very securely under there.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All good responses. My first thought is on a 2600 lb trailer, I would not worry about the extra features of the factory unit. Save the money and buy anything that works.
But the caveat is. You will like most people want to upgrade your trailer. Sooner or later In out case it was sooner. 2 years and upgraded the trailer.

Good luck either way.
RV There Yet⛱️⛱️

Freeland Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I purchased a 2018 Ram 2500 that was born without a controller and tow mirrors. I bought a "used" set of mirrors from Amazon that had the turn signals and puddle lamps in them and a used electric trailer brake control module from a 2013 Ram from the junk yard. The older brake module is wired different than the 2018 so it fried a fuse when plugged in. After some research I found that they are different part numbers between the two trucks so be careful which years fit. After I got one from a 2018 I programed the brake controller, turn signals and puddle lamps using Alfa OBD. The OEM works better than any aftermarket could ever think about. The OEM is a easy plug and play for any DIY or the local Ram dealer to program. It even has a circuit check to make sure everything stays functional during the trip. The truck will ding and show a fault message if something goes wrong. I pull a 35 foot 5th wheel with a 20 foot boat behind it, scalles out at 22,000 lbs. and works perfectly. 5th wheel has 2 axle electric brakes and boat has surge disk brakes.

TorqueWagon

Reaction score
Westmost point in the contiguous United States
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Am I better off having an electric brake controller (for hauling a fiberglass travel trailer, 2600 lbs) installed by a Dodge dealer or U-Haul? My vehicle is a 2017 Ram 1500 4x4, already has the plug for 7 prong and 4 point plugs and a class IV hitch receiver.
Wow... All things being equal, I'd have the dealer do it because they are supposedly experts in knowledge and products for your truck. I've personally had very bad experiences with U-Haul in general and don't think them to be proficient in working on trucks - theirs or mine. This kind of work is a side business for them, not their primary area of expertise. Make sure that whomever you select for this work is competent, knowledgeable, trained and experienced in doing the work... It is important that an item like this is done right and will operate correctly and last a long time without failure.

caltx01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
That depends on your age and flexibilty, I have the parts but haven't installed it yet as I expect my back to try and kick my butt when trying to get down and install it.
I am old and still also, but I found this installation straight-forward with the exception of the installation of the bracket for the brake module. This was by far the most difficult part of the installation for me.

DReinke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with the comments about installing the OEM unit. I purchased the OEM unit and installed it over a weekend. It is a bit tight under the dash but can be done. My aging body allowed me to get into the necessary positions to get it done. AlphaOBD made it possible for me to avoid a trip to the dealer to have it flashed into the computer and the cost of the software was significantly less than the charge at the dealer. Don't forget the additional switch needed on the dash. If you pull the unit from a salvage truck, be sure you get the switch. If you buy a new unit, be sure you also get the needed switch.

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
It is funny, I just did it this week. Bought a new factory controller for 145.00. Watched the video and an hour later, it was installed. Took it to the dealer and had the option added to truck. No dangling controller and wires. Works great and you have info on center cluster. Infotainment sells the same thing for over 300.00 and includes the programmer. Hope this helps. It was a piece of cake to put in.

Blue Truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No Spark Plugs
I barely trust U-Haul with my credit car for a rental. Have you seen how they "maintain" their equipment? I'd be afraid to have them install anything electronic, as even something with plug & play connections might come back with Scotch Lock connectors and cut factory wiring.

Hawk1775

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 - SPORT, 4x4, Quad Cab, 6.4' Bed
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Liter with MOPAR Cold Air Intake & Hood Scoop
I agree with Crash and a couple others on the OEM Controller, especially after my 1st "long distance" haul. I have a 5th wheel trailer that I took to Cali to visit family a couple years ago, halfway there my 1500 Sport started giving me messages on my gage display that I'd no brakes for the trailer, couple bumps later it cleared. The short story, if I'd had an after market there wouldn't have been any warning; turned out to be the trailer cross connection inside the axle tubes were worn threw causing intermittent shorting.

aatk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Towed with a Tekonsha prodigy. My limited came off the lot without a brake controller, but none of the vehicles I used for my trailer have one. It’s plug and play so I’m quite happy with it. If you only have one trailer but multiple tow vehicles its another option.