Bully dog tuner and factory warranty void?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alvarado77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm debating on putting a bully dog gt tuner on my truck. Not putting a big custom tune just to add a little power and watch my engine more. Is it worth doing? Can they tell I put it on my truck if I return to stock?

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
If they did an extensive, detailed investigation, yes, they could tell. Does it automatically void your warranty? No, it shouldn't. If you get a jerk of a dealership, they may try to do that though.

According to the letter of the law, they should have to prove that the aftermarket part you installed (tuner in this case) caused the issue you are trying to warranty. As with all things, letter of the law doesn't mean they will actually follow it.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
There are tons of threads on this topic, give the search a try and you'll be overloaded with info.

That being said, yes they'll know it was there. There's an internal odo in the computer of the truck that will stop if a tuner is installed. The one on your dash will keep tracking. If they see there is a difference in the two of them than they know it's been tuned.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If they did an extensive, detailed investigation, yes, they could tell. Does it automatically void your warranty? No, it shouldn't. If you get a jerk of a dealership, they may try to do that though.

According to the letter of the law, they should have to prove that the aftermarket part you installed (tuner in this case) caused the issue you are trying to warranty. As with all things, letter of the law doesn't mean they will actually follow it.

Interesting you say that, because, when i talked to chrysler care on the phone. They told me, no matter what you do it will void the entire thing. If i switched out gears, or added LSD it would void EVERYTHING!

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
well maybe your rear-end, I don't see changing the rear gears would void the motor/tranny.
They can tell you that, but they have to prove what mods you did effected the unwarrantable item.

BUT, they have the leverage to prolong the case, consumers don't.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting you say that, because, when i talked to chrysler care on the phone. They told me, no matter what you do it will void the entire thing. If i switched out gears, or added LSD it would void EVERYTHING!
The only mod that can easily void everything is anything that tampers with the odometer.

Any other mods, they have to prove the mod caused the failure.

I've had plenty of tuned vehicles and never had an issue with warranty work.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only mod that can easily void everything is anything that tampers with the odometer.

Any other mods, they have to prove the mod caused the failure.

I've had plenty of tuned vehicles and never had an issue with warranty work.

Would bigger tire technically void warranty then? Stupid question but must ask

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Would bigger tire technically void warranty then? Stupid question but must ask
Most bigger tires you can run without other mods won't void or hame anything.

But, many extreme wheel offsets can void some steering and suspension parts. Nothing major.

Your power train warranty will be fine.