Burning Smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
Hello.
Yesterday I was hauling 2 horses up a hill and i kinda felt a missfire. Wether it was a missfire or not I knew I needed to replace plugs and wires so I did. Only 1 plug looked like it had Carbon on it but all the gaps were around 0.8+ instead of 0.35 like it requires. After replacing the plugs+wires I took it for a test drive and it runs great. Only problem now is that I smell rubber burning while I'm driving and when I get out and smell under the hood. No wires seem to be touching anything and the belt doesn't get hot or seem to be rubbing. Belt is only a month old btw.

Truck has 287k miles. 95 Ram 1500 5.9L 4x4

Last edited:

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Hmmm that is interesting. Sounds like the plug wires might be touching the manifold or getting super hot.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
How did the wires themselves look? Could have them arcing against the head or across causing the insulator to burn.

OP
OP
J

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
Well the smell went away and I checked that they aren't touching anything. Hopefully just new wire smell haha.