Burning smell/engine compartment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcb67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My first post here. I have a 2020 Bighorn 5.7 with under 30k miles that has a burning smell under the hood when its warm. Dealership said it was the water pump so they replaced it. Had multiple pressure tests-no leaks. Also had the engine compartment detailed by the dealership. The smell is still there.....

Any suggestions?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Take it back to the dealer and make them find out what is actually burning up. You have warranty for a reason. This current B.S. of "I can't find anything unless it throws a code" is just stupid. If we keep accepting that and not raising holy hobb every time, it will never get better. You paid 70 grand for a pickup, do not let them brush you off.

OP
OP
J

jcb67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks! I did tell the dealership that I will keep bringing it back until they figure it out. My warranty ends the end of next month. At this point I'm thinking of taking it to a different Ram dealership to see if they can figure it out.....

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Are you saying the smell is anti freeze? Cause if so all of my FCA vehicles except for my current truck has had that smell. Even when no leaks were detected or any fluid was lost.

msedly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My current truck ('21 Laramie) and previous ('19 Big Horn) both had a coolant smell when hot. Both cases were the radiator hoses. They don't leak, but for whatever reason they smell like coolant when hot.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hey there,

If you'd like some assistance with this concern, please DM us! We can assist your dealership with diagnosis and repair.

Callie
Ram Cares

OP
OP
J

jcb67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you saying the smell is anti freeze? Cause if so all of my FCA vehicles except for my current truck has had that smell. Even when no leaks were detected or any fluid was lost.
Yes, that is the issue I believe. The smell comes from the front of the grill in the area of the radiator. I'm wondering if maybe it's electrical. Did they ever find the root cause of the smell for you?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks! I did tell the dealership that I will keep bringing it back until they figure it out. My warranty ends the end of next month. At this point I'm thinking of taking it to a different Ram dealership to see if they can figure it out.....
Absolutely, if you have other dealers available locally try a different one. The Ram dealer closest to me is one of the worst dealerships I’ve ever encountered but the Chrysler/Jeep dealer less than a mile from the Ram dealer is fantastic. Oddly they are both owned by the same auto group yet couldn’t be more different in their approach to customer service.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Actually one vehicle has a small pin hole in the radiator core. Took me for ever to find it. I knew it had to be somewhere, and finally saw the staining from the dried anti-freeze on the face of the core. They had to replace the entire radiator under warranty. The others(2021 pacifica), never found the source, but it smells like crazy. Had the dealer check it over, they couldnt find it either. I am sure it is leaking somewhere. just not a lot. I you smell that bad, like I do. You have a leak it might be very small.

Last edited:

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Yes, that is the issue I believe. The smell comes from the front of the grill in the area of the radiator. I'm wondering if maybe it's electrical. Did they ever find the root cause of the smell for you?

Fwiw, all of my RAM trucks had/has the radiator coolant smell coming out from the front around the radiator area ...

I narrowed it down way back on my 2009 RAM to present 2017 RAM that the smell was very pronounced at the radiator overflow tank/reservoir because that plastic cap doesn't seal. It's just "snapped on" and the coolant smell is very strong coming out of there ... especially when hot after an drive ... js.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Fwiw, all of my RAM trucks had/has the radiator coolant smell coming out from the front around the radiator area ...

I narrowed it down way back on my 2009 RAM to present 2017 RAM that the smell was very pronounced at the radiator overflow tank/reservoir because that plastic cap doesn't seal. It's just "snapped on" and the coolant smell is very strong coming out of there ... especially when hot after an drive ... js.
Have posted this exact same comment many times. Guy needs to be able to recognise what he is smelling. Coolant smells very different than actual burning but many folks confuse the two. Quick way to learn the difference is to pop the cap off the overflow when the engine is hot. Does this smell the same as what you are calling the burning smell. If not, does the burning smell have the odour of plastic, oil, rubber etc. If you can identify and narrow down the smell it helps to track down the cause.

Last edited:

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
Have posted this exact same comment many times. Guy needs to be able to recognise what he is smelling. Coolant smells very different than actual burning but many folks confuse the two. Quick way to learn the difference is to pop the cap off the overflow when the engine is hot. Does this smell the same as what you are calling the burning smell. If not, does the burning smell have the odour of plastic, oil, rubber etc. If you can identify and narrow down the smell it helps to track down the cause.
Will popping the cap off when hot result in a pressurized system spitting coolant at your face? Really wondered this on the truck. My Tahoes fill point was the reservoir though so might be different.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Will popping the cap off when hot result in a pressurized system spitting coolant at your face? Really wondered this on the truck. My Tahoes fill point was the reservoir though so might be different.
On the Ram the overflow tank is not pressurised. It is just a snap on cap. You only get spit on if you remove the rad cap.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter

It's the same on the RAM ... the fill location is the reservoir with the yellow cap. There is an plastic "dip stick" (at least there is one on my 2017 RAM) under the yellow cap with holes/ "markings" on it that gives a visual if coolent is needed or is good (low/full).

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's the same on the RAM ... the fill location is the reservoir with the yellow cap. There is an plastic "dip stick" (at least there is one on my 2017 RAM) under the yellow cap with holes/ "markings" on it that gives a visual if coolent is needed or is good (low/full).
But is it pressurized when hot was the question. Seems like 2 answers in the thread here, my tahoe radiator didn’t have a cap, the reservoir cap was the ‘radiator cap’. My ram has a separate radiator cap I believe

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
But is it pressurized when hot was the question. Seems like 2 answers in the thread here, my tahoe radiator didn’t have a cap, the reservoir cap was the ‘radiator cap’. My ram has a separate radiator cap I believe
No, the answer is the same from all of us. The reservoir is not under pressure even when hot. The rad has a separate pressure cap. The reservoir cap is a click on. It is dead simple to verify, go out and open the reservoir cap, it isn't screwed on so no way it can be under pressure. That lack of a tight seal is what allows the odour of coolant to escape and what people often smell in the engine compartment.

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, the answer is the same from all of us. The reservoir is not under pressure even when hot. The rad has a separate pressure cap. The reservoir cap is a click on. It is dead simple to verify, go out and open the reservoir cap, it isn't screwed on so no way it can be under pressure. That lack of a tight seal is what allows the odour of coolant to escape and what people often smell in the engine compartment.
That’s what I was thinking, didn’t think there was a way that cap would withstand that kind of pressure. I hate how they make the reservoir & washer tank look the same (if any unskilled people ever touch it at the dealer)

GlennB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Lonestar Silver Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had that happen to me last December on a long holiday road trip. The smell (antifreeze or skunk) originates from the front passenger side of the engine bay. I was certain I was leaking antifreeze from somewhere - but could not see/find anything. I had left for my destination during a 100+ year freak cold snap, so started thinking something crawled into the engine compartment to stay warm and wound up being cooked. I took it to a dealer in the city I was visiting - they spent an hour looking - found nothing and sent me on my way. I finished the trip without issue keeping a very close eye on the engine temp.

When I got home, I started reading threads on this subject here and another member shared his story and uploaded S1907000001 which I printed out and took to my servicing dealer. They replaced the parts outlined in it under warranty. In my case, it took at least 2-3 months after the repair for the smell to fully disappear.

Attachments

• S1907000001.pdf
    42.4 KB · Views: 21

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Given winter is approaching, and alreay here for some thought this was worth bumping.