Bye Bye Ram!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow, glad you came out OK and had the footage to back you up! Now for the shopping.....

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Look online and wait till the last day of the month to make a deal! Good luck with your search.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad your not scratched as all have said. Onto the dash cam, what one do you have? And also, and anyone can answer this, what are some of the best dash cam offerings today??? I mean from stories out there, they are a good idea. I have often thought of one myself, especially one for when parked in parking lots while your inside somewhere. I hear too many stories of people walking out from a store or wherever and seeing some damage on their vehicles. Would be nice to catch on a camera to at least have a chance to catch a person and/or plate.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Would love to see video
way things are going, I may have to install on e, what one do you have?

OP
OP
sappel138

sappel138

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the well-wishes everyone! Much appreciated.

-I got the dashcam at WalMart. Was only $30 and is better than the $150 one I bought 5 years ago.

-Yeah, I count myself lucky. Not injured and it looks like I’ll be able to get a full replacement and a newer model.

- OMG the 2019’s are nice! Out of my budget though. I have seen 2018’s $12K to $18K off.

-I’m considering another Ram obviously. BUT, a friend has an F-150 Ecoboost and raves about it. Not sure which direction to go yet.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pretty hard to pass up on some of the '18 model deals being offered, or leftover '17's for that matter, when the '19 model prices have been released. Bit of sticker shock to say the least.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1. OP DONT post the video and watch what you say on forums, social media about the accident. If down the road you start to get problems then they can use it against you.

2. Depends on your dealer, '19's near me are already discounted 5-7k. it is a volume dealer.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would stay away from aluminum body Ford's. Body shops charge a fortune to work on them. By me, that means higher one rates.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for the well-wishes everyone! Much appreciated.

-I got the dashcam at WalMart. Was only $30 and is better than the $150 one I bought 5 years ago.

-Yeah, I count myself lucky. Not injured and it looks like I’ll be able to get a full replacement and a newer model.

- OMG the 2019’s are nice! Out of my budget though. I have seen 2018’s $12K to $18K off.

-I’m considering another Ram obviously. BUT, a friend has an F-150 Ecoboost and raves about it. Not sure which direction to go yet.
xxxxxxxxx
Just remember that turbos NEVER last as long as an engine. That's a total ownership cost you have to figure in, unless you plan to flip the truck every 5-7 years. Don't get me wrong if I couldn't have a Ram, I'd drive a Ferd, but the move to turbos is kinda like putting aluminum in the the truck bed; a known weakness.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man if I were looking at 1/2 tons and were deciding between an eco-boost or the Hemi, Eco-Boost all the way.. Especially the new ones. They are beasts and make torque ridiculously low in the RPM range for a gas truck and no altitude loss. I like My Hemi (6.4) But man I miss my Eco-boost.

bbdmac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
For the Dashcam question I highly recommend the A119 camera. It's made in China but it's very small and the video is excellent. I ran the A118, it's predecessor for 3 years without any issues. I purchased the A119C for my vette but I haven't installed it yet. The older A118 is going into the 2018 RAM. Super simple to operate and they simply overwrite the files once you fill up the card and it starts at the beginning. Go to this link to read about them:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/categories/viofo.100/

And you don't need to buy the Viofo brand. They're sold under MANY different names, but buy from a reputable dealer in case you have problems.

darren Toth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My advise would hands down get yourself a 2019 Dodge Ram, totally new from the ground up and is the sexiest thing on wheels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ......sorry bout the accident

OzCop

Reaction score
Highland Village, TX...north of Dallas about 28 mi
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie Ecodiesel
Engine
Ecodiesel
Ram is the only way I would go...just got back from a 4 day trip covering over 2000 miles, and my 2017 Laramie 4 WD with EcoDiesel performed flawlessly and comfortably, fetching 25 mpg from Dallas Metroplex to Central KY and back...

Trail Ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

If I were you I would grab a 2018 ram with all of the discounts now that the hideous 2019's are out now.

I would go for a heavy discounted 2018 Ram or a F150 2.7L Ecoboost. When I was test driving trucks, the F150 2.7L Ecoboost was my favorite but the Ram was a better deal and I questioned the longevity of a motor with that much complexity and boost.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would go for a heavy discounted 2018 Ram or a F150 2.7L Ecoboost. When I was test driving trucks, the F150 2.7L Ecoboost was my favorite but the Ram was a better deal and I questioned the longevity of a motor with that much complexity and boost.

Yeah 12-18K off sticker would be hard to pass up.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
6yrs with my HEMI and not one issue-only 60,000 kms though-still looks and runs as new.. As for dash cams I have 2--one out the front,one out the back window--they are the original dash cam pony -got on sale for $69. each . I consider it a must with some of the idiot drivers out there-can also prove if someone "break checks" you too.sometimes I just watch on my laptop for fun if theres a particularly nice drive or a bad snow storm. Can probably get better prices in the U.S.A. like most things. Hope that helps and glad your OK. Being as you came out without a scratch I would consider that enough reason to buy another Ram-besides you said you had plans for it and really enjoyed the truck. Peace-out!!!

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Glad you're okay.
That's one reason I don't want to get rid of my truck for a small vehicle, better protection.
Good call on the dash cam.
I can see in the future manufacturers being forced to have surround dash cams in the vehicles similar to what Nissan does in their Rogue and Pathfinder.