2016 Ram 1500 ABS Module replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We must be of about the same "vintage", Sherman. I remember us having not one, but TWO B&W TV's - one of the two-ton console models in the living room, and a "small" one (20" or so) that weighed nearly as much in Mom and Dad's room. And yep, I well remember pulling tubes out and testing them at the local 7-11.

Quality in most everything has been made secondary to quantity and planned obsolescence. Manufacturers actually making products that are designed to last for many years has become a thing of the past - they want their products to go Tango Uniform within a few years so We the People have to buy new stuff from them. Until my home was flooded (4 feet of water) in 2016, I had an old Harvest Gold GE fridge that had been ticking along since my parents acquired it, USED, in the mid-70's. They gave it to me when they bought a new fridge in the early 80's. Even after the flood it would still run, although I had to get rid of it due to flood water having soaked into the insulation. After my home was gutted and repaired (February 2017) I bought a new Frigidaire. It lasted until about 6 months ago, just over 6 years, when it quit cooling properly. Cost to repair it would have been about twice what a new one would cost, so I took the obvious option and just replaced it. So much for "quality" in a product that used to have that.

Not to hijack the thread, but America in general has been "dumbing down" for years. I mean, when you have people watching junk like "Golden Bachelor" and most of the current sitcoms, you have to conclude that the median intellectual level is a lot more shallow than it was even a few decades ago. That makes it much easier for the corporate ad people to sell the public mediocre products with inane, outlandish commercials.
We had an Admiral in Living Room, part of a long console with a record player and an AM/FM radio. That system probably weighed half as much as a Vega Car, lmao.
And that system lasted and lasted. Mom broke down and got one of the "RCA" color TV's, with the great green in everything color Picture. Those were the Days (All in the Family).

Lemme see: Drop a boulder in an aluminum bed Ford, bet that be different, lmao.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We had an Admiral in Living Room, part of a long console with a record player and an AM/FM radio. That system probably weighed half as much as a Vega Car, lmao.
And that system lasted and lasted. Mom broke down and got one of the "RCA" color TV's, with the great green in everything color Picture. Those were the Days (All in the Family).

Lemme see: Drop a boulder in an aluminum bed Ford, bet that be different, lmao.
Don't forget the male enhancement ads along with beer ads, to enhance the complete macho self image that went along with the trucks!!! ;)

Bob Seger was interviewed about that song/ad combo in later years and he said that the income from that ad kept him afloat in hard times!

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't forget the male enhancement ads along with beer ads, to enhance the complete macho self image that went along with the trucks!!! ;)

Bob Seger was interviewed about that song/ad combo in later years and he said that the income from that ad kept him afloat in hard times!
The Sam Elliott voice overs on the "Dodge" commercials were awesome.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We must be of about the same "vintage", Sherman. I remember us having not one, but TWO B&W TV's - one of the two-ton console models in the living room, and a "small" one (20" or so) that weighed nearly as much in Mom and Dad's room. And yep, I well remember pulling tubes out and testing them at the local 7-11.

Quality in most everything has been made secondary to quantity and planned obsolescence. Manufacturers actually making products that are designed to last for many years has become a thing of the past - they want their products to go Tango Uniform within a few years so We the People have to buy new stuff from them. Until my home was flooded (4 feet of water) in 2016, I had an old Harvest Gold GE fridge that had been ticking along since my parents acquired it, USED, in the mid-70's. They gave it to me when they bought a new fridge in the early 80's. Even after the flood it would still run, although I had to get rid of it due to flood water having soaked into the insulation. After my home was gutted and repaired (February 2017) I bought a new Frigidaire. It lasted until about 6 months ago, just over 6 years, when it quit cooling properly. Cost to repair it would have been about twice what a new one would cost, so I took the obvious option and just replaced it. So much for "quality" in a product that used to have that.

Not to hijack the thread, but America in general has been "dumbing down" for years. I mean, when you have people watching junk like "Golden Bachelor" and most of the current sitcoms, you have to conclude that the median intellectual level is a lot more shallow than it was even a few decades ago. That makes it much easier for the corporate ad people to sell the public mediocre products with inane, outlandish commercials.
Growing up, my parents were given a chest freezer made by Philco (a Ford subsidiary) by my maternal grandparents, when I was about 10. That freezer was purchased new by my Grandparents during WW2, or just after, so the story was told to me. Mom and Dad kept it until WELL after I moved out on my own in 1974.

I still remember the 4-door 1957 Chevy Bel-Air that my Grand father had back then. It was his first car with A/C, and I remember it was a champagne color.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Growing up, my parents were given a chest freezer made by Philco (a Ford subsidiary) by my maternal grandparents, when I was about 10. That freezer was purchased new by my Grandparents during WW2, or just after, so the story was told to me. Mom and Dad kept it until WELL after I moved out on my own in 1974.

I still remember the 4-door 1957 Chevy Bel-Air that my Grand father had back then. It was his first car with A/C, and I remember it was a champagne color.
My Aunt lived in Brooklyn, and had one of these in white w/o the sidewalls and wire rims tho. It still had the monster Hood Emblem on it, something I remember from being a kid sooo many years ago.

r.JPG

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Aunt lived in Brooklyn, and had one of these in white w/o the sidewalls and wire rims tho. It still had the monster Hood Emblem on it, something I remember from being a kid sooo many years ago.

View attachment 532424
My Great Grandfather who lived in Houston's Heights for most of his life, eventually wound up in West University Place. In 1925, he bought a Studebaker new. I saw pictures of him while on a deer hunting trip to the area I now live! (This was out in the boonies back then!) In one photo, he and his buddies had several dead deer draped over the hood of that car, roped down for the trip home! He kept that car until well after WW2. His family and friends constantly admonished him to replace the car with a new one... to which he replied, "I'll get a new car after the war".

He bought a 1955 Buick Special 2 door hardtop in orange/white 2 tone paint! Ten YEARS after the war! When the "Stude" was 30 years old!

The Merc is a good looking one!

James Stiner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L L6 OHV 24V TURBO DIESEL
To: DaSOB

I am stranded in Texas with a failed ABS Module (Florida resident) on my 2018 RAM 2500.

(1) To your point in one of your previous posts, copied below. I assume you know that Federal law requires manufacturers to maintain replacement parts for 10 years.

You wrote:

"I had a chat with a Mopar representative and this is what I was told:

"Upon checking on the part number that you've provided, we are unable to maintain a complete inventory for an indefinite period of time and the lower the demand, the less likely it is we will have stocked parts. As such, the part you are requesting is no longer in our inventory."

(2) Also, have you come upon any posts about lemon lawyers and/or legal actions, which have been mentioned on this Forum?

(3) Did you get a response from your previously mentioned www.circuitboardmedics.com? If yes, have you replaced the ABS module on your 2015 RAM Big Horn?

Any new information you (or others who see this) might have will be very helpful.

Jim

DaSOB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7L Hemi
To: DaSOB

I am stranded in Texas with a failed ABS Module (Florida resident) on my 2018 RAM 2500.

(1) To your point in one of your previous posts, copied below. I assume you know that Federal law requires manufacturers to maintain replacement parts for 10 years.

You wrote:

"I had a chat with a Mopar representative and this is what I was told:

"Upon checking on the part number that you've provided, we are unable to maintain a complete inventory for an indefinite period of time and the lower the demand, the less likely it is we will have stocked parts. As such, the part you are requesting is no longer in our inventory."

(2) Also, have you come upon any posts about lemon lawyers and/or legal actions, which have been mentioned on this Forum?

(3) Did you get a response from your previously mentioned www.circuitboardmedics.com? If yes, have you replaced the ABS module on your 2015 RAM Big Horn?

Any new information you (or others who see this) might have will be very helpful.

Jim
Hey, Jim -

There is a class action lawsuit regarding ABS modules on 2017-18 Ram 2500 and 3500. As an owner of a 2018, you probably are already a member of the class, but you would need to look into that with whatever law firm is handling the lawsuit.

I got a quote form from Circuit Board Medics, but I ended up having XeModex repair my module for $199 plus shipping. Also, some salvage modules can be purchased from Car Parts Source. Don't be put off by anyone telling you that once a module is programmed to a specific vehicle, it can only be used on THAT vehicle. I know for a fact that the modules can be reprogrammed.

HTH!!

Sam

SpikerLiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hello Folks,

I own a 2015 1500, 5.7L hemi, Crew Cab Big Horn. Around 85K miles, Feb/Mar 2023 the ABS light and traction control light began coming on and staying on for a day or so then off. Of course, within a few weeks they stayed on constantly. Codes were in order of most seen (I would check them and then erase them), C2200-49 every time, C2116 some times and U0121 less times. The information about these codes is not conclusive, but the dealer told me I needed to replace the ABS control module, which they were backordered, so wait. I found a company that was rebuilding them so I sent mine off to them, got it rebuild, had it reinstalled.

Another 2 weeks went by after replacement and both lights come back on, first a few times a week but they didn't stay on constantly. Then a few weeks later constantly on. This time the ABS code is C0020-01, the dealer tells me I need to replace the ABS Hydraulic pump, the information about this code is also non conclusive, so I purchase on back order and wait 30days for the part, then have the current hydraulic pump replaced with the new one. Get back to driving and within minutes the lights are back on with the same C0020-01 codes associated to them. So the $1150 ABS Hydraulic pump did nothing to remove the lights or more importantly if the lights are still on I'm guessing I still have an ABS malfunction and under heavy braking, wet or whatever I'll NOT have the ABS working properly. Now I’m wondering what to do next. I’ve made a complaint to NTHSA and I will make one to RamCare and FCA but I don’t have any faith that these complaints will help anything.

Next I'm going to the interstate for some high speed brake slamming to identify if I have ABS working or not, at least that will show me what is happening on my truck. Then I’m going to start with cleaning the grounds and electrical connections throughout the vehicle, then I’ll get a better scanner to be able to check the wheel sensors with real time data, and lots of other sensors too depending on the scanner's capabilities. Hopefully I'll find someone on these forums that knows how to diagnose and troubleshoot this stuff. It’s a pity that FCA does this and GMC, Ford and Chevy if they are doing it too. These days the general public gets kicked and we just take it and whine. I guess I’m going to learn more about my stuff so I can rely on knowledge and experience from the collective (you all), because i have to if I want to have my stuff working..

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hello Folks,

I own a 2015 1500, 5.7L hemi, Crew Cab Big Horn. Around 85K miles, Feb/Mar 2023 the ABS light and traction control light began coming on and staying on for a day or so then off. Of course, within a few weeks they stayed on constantly. Codes were in order of most seen (I would check them and then erase them), C2200-49 every time, C2116 some times and U0121 less times. The information about these codes is not conclusive, but the dealer told me I needed to replace the ABS control module, which they were backordered, so wait. I found a company that was rebuilding them so I sent mine off to them, got it rebuild, had it reinstalled.

Another 2 weeks went by after replacement and both lights come back on, first a few times a week but they didn't stay on constantly. Then a few weeks later constantly on. This time the ABS code is C0020-01, the dealer tells me I need to replace the ABS Hydraulic pump, the information about this code is also non conclusive, so I purchase on back order and wait 30days for the part, then have the current hydraulic pump replaced with the new one. Get back to driving and within minutes the lights are back on with the same C0020-01 codes associated to them. So the $1150 ABS Hydraulic pump did nothing to remove the lights or more importantly if the lights are still on I'm guessing I still have an ABS malfunction and under heavy braking, wet or whatever I'll NOT have the ABS working properly. Now I’m wondering what to do next. I’ve made a complaint to NTHSA and I will make one to RamCare and FCA but I don’t have any faith that these complaints will help anything.

Next I'm going to the interstate for some high speed brake slamming to identify if I have ABS working or not, at least that will show me what is happening on my truck. Then I’m going to start with cleaning the grounds and electrical connections throughout the vehicle, then I’ll get a better scanner to be able to check the wheel sensors with real time data, and lots of other sensors too depending on the scanner's capabilities. Hopefully I'll find someone on these forums that knows how to diagnose and troubleshoot this stuff. It’s a pity that FCA does this and GMC, Ford and Chevy if they are doing it too. These days the general public gets kicked and we just take it and whine. I guess I’m going to learn more about my stuff so I can rely on knowledge and experience from the collective (you all), because i have to if I want to have my stuff working..

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey, Jim -

There is a class action lawsuit regarding ABS modules on 2017-18 Ram 2500 and 3500. As an owner of a 2018, you probably are already a member of the class, but you would need to look into that with whatever law firm is handling the lawsuit.

I got a quote form from Circuit Board Medics, but I ended up having XeModex repair my module for $199 plus shipping. Also, some salvage modules can be purchased from Car Parts Source. Don't be put off by anyone telling you that once a module is programmed to a specific vehicle, it can only be used on THAT vehicle. I know for a fact that the modules can be reprogrammed.

HTH!!

Sam
In a lot of cases, the ABS control module can be merely coded to the current vehicle. In the case of my wife's 2007 Kia Sorento, that was the case. In the case of my 2002 Chevy S-10 Blazer, the PCM did an automated relearn, where All I has to do was go drive the Blazer down the street a couple of hundred yards.

DaSOB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7L Hemi
In a lot of cases, the ABS control module can be merely coded to the current vehicle. In the case of my wife's 2007 Kia Sorento, that was the case. In the case of my 2002 Chevy S-10 Blazer, the PCM did an automated relearn, where All I has to do was go drive the Blazer down the street a couple of hundred yards.
Yes, a salvaged module can be re-initialized to a different vehicle. On the Ram, at least on mine, it would need to be re-initialized by a shop or by someone with a mid- to- high level scan tool. I drove my truck with a salvaged module for several days until I could get my original module repaired. I still got a TC light, and the cruise control wouldn't work, but otherwise the module worked fine. I was told by Earl Trevor at Car Parts Source that the TC light being on was indicative that the module just needed to be re-initialized due to VIN mismatch.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, a salvaged module can be re-initialized to a different vehicle. On the Ram, at least on mine, it would need to be re-initialized by a shop or by someone with a mid- to- high level scan tool. I drove my truck with a salvaged module for several days until I could get my original module repaired. I still got a TC light, and the cruise control wouldn't work, but otherwise the module worked fine. I was told by Earl Trevor at Car Parts Source that the TC light being on was indicative that the module just needed to be re-initialized due to VIN mismatch.
My wife's was a salvage unit, and the Blazer was a reman from Cardone. That was my only choice on a 21 year old Blazer! And it worked out well. Kia wanted just shy of 2 grand, so that was a "no way in hell" thing!

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
It’s probably not a scam on behalf of the rebuilders and shops that diagnose this problem, …scanners are now the goto intelligence for diagnostics and most minimum paid mechanics are only licensed with book knowledge you can’t have a recall on inconclusive observations.

There are several variables that are at fault (if) because the technician over looked procedure in testing .. if a rebuilder receives a part that functions properly of sends it back with instructions there is nothing wrong with the part ….are they morally obligated to admit their mistake ( of course ) but like all relationships they become financially invested themselves over a period of time especially in this economic environment .

It’s like anything else with a vehicle's diagnosis…
… is it always going to fail or preform as what is stated by the customer?

Anytime there is a chance for profit the circumstances can be (adjusted) .

It’s as if the checking of hydraulic fluid pressures or other brake related functions like wheel sensors or electronic traction control have nothing in common with the ABS actuation … Sell a brake service .. inspect pads for tolerances look for leaky seals, sticky calipers or slide pins… don’t forget rotor runout or E-brake adjustment . If there isn’t a code to read it’s like you can’t sell the service ..?
….or is it less bothersome and easier to sell a high end part then the flow chart starts asking if you don’t want to just buy a new vehicle instead. ? ? ?

The part number’s change because of obsoletion… the supplier or the production runs change for the part to be reengineered calls for a national recall and I’m not seeing that.

Last edited:

bigramma0786

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello Folks,

Any luck on this?