Cab height after Bilstein 5100s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zacbar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am considering installing Bilstein 5100's on my truck and likely setting them at the 2.1 setting.
Will it adjust the overall height of my truck? Been trying to wrap my head around this, and I've received differing explanations from people.

Right now the back of the cab is obviously the highest part of my truck, if I'm only raising the front shocks and not touching the rear, then to be it sounds like it shouldn't change the overall height of my truck? Can anyone confirm?

Reason I ask is because my parking garage at work has very limited height.
If anyone has installed Bilstein 5100's on their Ram 1500 with 265/70/17's on it, and they feel like measuring what the highest point of their truck is, it would be a huge help so I can compare to stock.
Thanks everyone.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Of course it will be higher. You're "leveling" (aka raising) the front of the truck. The exact amount it will be higher isn't an exact science because every chassis and spring tension is slightly different. While it may only be 1-1/2 or 2 inches or so, I definitely took note of my new height just for reference. I also had 17" KO2's which gave it another 3/4 inch.
I'm referring to my prior RAM and I don't recall the actual height - but again, your truck may sit differently so my number wouldn't really help. I know it was about 2 inches more than stock.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the only thing that stays the same is the distance from your differentials to the ground. Your chassis goes up whatever amount your lift provides in the front only. so it "levels" the stance sort to speak. if you measured your truck from the front cab highest point, just add 2" more if you're going 5100's at 2.1. Easy peasy. rear is not going up if you're not adding spacers or aftermarket coils springs so the back of the cab remains at whatever height you currently have.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rear of your cab will be slightly taller . Not a whole 2.1" as the front of your truck will be but as you go towards the rear of the truck the amount lifted will decrease as you move to about the rear axle area where you get 0 lifted amount

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Rear of your cab will be slightly taller . Not a whole 2.1" as the front of your truck will be but as you go towards the rear of the truck the amount lifted will decrease as you move to about the rear axle area where you get 0 lifted amount
When you raise the front of the truck more weight shifts to the rear lowering it ever so slightly. Depending on the weight of the truck it could be 1/4 to 1/2” not factored into a lot of installs or leveling kits. Factors like aftermarket bumpers are what change these numbers.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you raise the front of the truck more weight shifts to the rear lowering it ever so slightly. Depending on the weight of the truck it could be 1/4 to 1/2” not factored into a lot of installs or leveling kits. Factors like aftermarket bumpers are what change these numbers.
I understand but we are only talking 2" at the highest point . The lowering aspect is going to be marginal at best

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I understand but we are only talking 2" at the highest point . The lowering aspect is going to be marginal at best
I’m not saying you’re wrong. It’s nominal on a leveling kit yes but most don’t know the rear gets lower. All small numbers but could be the difference when doing calculations.

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie / 2020 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just an opinion here, but...
Since the top of the rear most portion of the cab is right at the mid point or pivot point between the front and rear axle/suspension, the amount of lift will not equal the amount of lift (i.e., 2" lift will not equal a 2" change at the top of the rear portion of the cab).

It WILL raise some but it will be something a bit less that the lift amount. And since the lift WILL result in an ever-so-slight drop of the rear, it won't be exactly half...

I'm sure there are formulas that the math wizards here can figure out, butmy backyard eyeball calculations tell me a 2" lift will raise the rear of the cab about 1.25"....just my eyeball...YMMV

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Just an opinion here, but...
Since the top of the rear most portion of the cab is right at the mid point or pivot point between the front and rear axle/suspension, the amount of lift will not equal the amount of lift (i.e., 2" lift will not equal a 2" change at the top of the rear portion of the cab).

It WILL raise some but it will be something a bit less that the lift amount. And since the lift WILL result in an ever-so-slight drop of the rear, it won't be exactly half...

I'm sure there are formulas that the math wizards here can figure out, butmy backyard eyeball calculations tell me a 2" lift will raise the rear of the cab about 1.25"....just my eyeball...YMMV
That’s right