cam change-engine wont run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blazintowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Good morning fellas,
I need your expert advice! Thanks to all who have already provided info. Still have remaining questions and problems. SOS

Ok, installed the rebuilt engine in my 03 ram 2500. On the first try to start the engine ran and even would idle. After shut down to check fluids and for any leaks, went to restart and would only run if I depressed the pedal. I have to tap the pedal to keep running but will not idle. Did the computer readjust and throow something off?

Questions-If I keep trying to start will I screw up the break in for the new rings? I know I need to get her running so i can get it on the road for a proper break in. But I have to get her to run first, so hom much damage will i do?

Also, How can you receive any codes if the engine wont run?

If I invest in a tuner like the DSP will I be able to tune it enough to start the engine?

Do I keep trying to start the engine and hope the computer will relearn or make the necessary adjustments to run?

Am I totally :Grenade:

Where do I start???

Anyone in the Socal area want to make some extra $$$....

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Is the rebuilt engine stock? In the title I see where it says its got a cam but not in the body. Is the engine a rebuild of yours or a newer donor?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Found your post in the other thread. Get the spec of the cam the engine builder installed. You might need to just add fuel at idle, hope he didnt go to big to where you cant rev up the idle. You can try having the a/c on to raise the idle mechanicly to see if thats the issue. Other quick things to check is make sure the heads were grounded back again on the rear.

OP
OP
B

blazintowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
thanks KGBIG, it is the stock engine that has been rebuilt. new rings, bearings, cam, valve job, exhaust. the builder told me the cam was designed to run with the stock tune, that i may need to continue trying to start it to get the computer to make adjustments??? does this make any sense? like mentioned before, will I do damage if I cant get it running and keep trying to start it? since the rings aren't set yet?
Also what do you mean to check to see if the heads were grounded back on the rear?

thanks for any info...

if i get the dsp, can i adjust idle fuel?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
You would do best to get a CMR tuner to write you a file for the motor. There is a ground strap that runs to the back of the heads to a single bolt on each side. Also check and make sure the large wire connection for the wiring harness is fully seated. I would assume the builder checked the pushrods while it was on the stand to make sure all were seated correctly, along with the cam being in time. Did a shop you trust do the motor install and build or what? As much background info ya can give will get us started. I will be on my phone checking in on the thread after 5pm EST.

OP
OP
B

blazintowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks Again...
What is the CMR tuner?
Ground strap was reinstalled. I did the removal and install, everything was numbered and put back the way it came apart. The engine builder is a reputable builder although this is the first time i have used him. he builds race engines and does work for the factory dealers. Said the motor/cam combo would run with the stock tune. Before going back to him I wanted to see if it was just a tuning issue??? It sounds like it is right on the edge of running correctly. Like i mentioned before it ran the very first time I tried to start it but after shut down and restarted it would not idle?

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
CMR Tune (custom tune via the DSP) might not do you any good if it is an idle issue. The DSP wont adjust the idle on an 03' I think all it can do is the fuel trims. You can check for codes with the engine not running, if you have a tuner already you just have to run the diagnostic test, if you dont then the key fob trick will work as well (turn it on/off/on/off/on not starting the truck and the code should pop up where the OD display is).

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Do you have the cam specs by any chance?

OP
OP
B

blazintowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I tried to drag the cam card info over from another thread but so far unsuccessful, specs are in the Camshaft thread started by hemifever on this page.
Thank You.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Im thinking its the cam out of time. The truck started and prob ran and racked hard and then the computer couldnt keep up with it, thats why when you give it some RPM it stays semi running. Try the key trick to see if any codes show. If they do it will point us in the direction we need to keep going with.

OP
OP
B

blazintowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I will try to check codes tonight.

I meant the specs were in the Camshaft thread started by BlackedOutHemi, not hemifever.

Also not sure what you mean by the engine racked hard. never heard it make any crazy noise on initial start, was running until i shut it off. guess i should have let it run longer...

you would think in this day and age a tuner could manipulate all the settings especially something as simple as the idle...

i have a 71 blazer that i installed a edelbrock proflow injection system on a sbc 350 and its fully tunable from a little hand held device. couldnt be any simpler.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Its the wonders on a Dodge PCM stacked ontop of the fact the 03 is pickey. We will get ya stright just gonna take some step by step stuff till we nail it down. Not being there to wrench on it makes it harder to do.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Just a comment here to consider. Should he Try a reset on the PCM and then reconect the Battery and run thru the TPS pedal procedure, then fire it up. If it then Runs I would suggest to keep it at 2000 for 20 minutes to get the ticking out and oil moving. However before that Like Kenneth said you need to ensure all the valve action and rods are seated properly. What I do is after reassembly and valve covers off I crank around the engine by hand while checking movement of each rod and also check that I can spin them a bit too which helps confirm the seating is good.

Edit: Only Cam I would Trust without a Tuner is the Mopar Performance Cam. Even the 6.1 Cam IMO needs an SC and the PCM can be trained to run on the 87 Tune.

Back to you KG.

Last edited:

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
How did it sound when you started it and it ran? Was it real rough sounding? Purring like a kitten? Checked the timing to make sure you're not off a tooth?

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Just checked that other thread. So you went with the cam on a 111lsa?

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Wow 111 LSA, A 112 Crazy Spartan has been done on an 03 with Superchips and PSC and mine was a 114 on my 03 but it fired up and ran ok with SC, so would that not require a Custum DSP tune? and I am guessing Idling would be an issue without tuning if that is the LSA. So just talking out loud Guys, Hopefully it can be figured out.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
A 116-114 should be alright on a stock tune assuming the rest of the cam specs are alright, a 114-113 should be alright with a superchips tune or canned dsp tune again assuming the rest of the cams specs jive, a 112-108 though should need extra tuning and idle adjustments beyond what a canned tune can manage.

To the OP, I would send your cam specs over to either hemifever or another reputable CMR tuner and just ask what they think about the cam and tune combo and if they would think you would need any extra tuning in order to get it running better.

OP
OP
B

blazintowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thank you for all the info/input...PRICELESS!!!

When i start it and bring it up to 1500-2000 rpm it runs smooth, firing on all cylinders, and has good throttle response from 2000 up. below 1500 real rough, and will stall...

Did the key phobe trick. at the end of the 3rd turn does it first say done??? Mine read donE, spelled just like that, and then it just flashed straight bars like this -------.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Yep the cam is the issue, the 111 is to tight of an overlap to be ran on a stock tune. My first can was a 6.1 reground to a 214/216 spec with a 117 LSA and ran on stock PCM but the A/F was way off.
Thinking there are two outs to this:
1) Pull the cam and put in a 6.1 or wider based LSA semi low lift
2) Talk to a tuner who will tackle getting your truck to run on that
Do you have an Air/Fuel wideband in the truck yet? If you opt to tackle trying to get that cam to work your gonna need that along with a custom tuner (a SCT or DSP) unless you try stacking a Superchips and PSC-1.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Demon Hunter 441