Can't say an old Detriot ain't tough,lol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
But, but, but...If you run (insert oil brand here), it'll NEVER do that......

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Pretty amazing! A recent engine I would label as almost bullet proof would be the 4 liter straight six that were in Jeep Cherokees. Had 3 of them and you would have to try hard to hurt them.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Pretty amazing! A recent engine I would label as almost bullet proof would be the 4 liter straight six that were in Jeep Cherokees. Had 3 of them and you would have to try hard to hurt them.
And yet....they got rid of them. Makes ya wonder.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I had that engine in three Wrangler TJs, couldn't kill 'em (I tried LOL).

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I think you're dead on. But it is really too bad that such a durable, usable motor got replaced with a minivan engine that (IMO) sucks. AMC = Almost a Car :)
Back in my younger days i ran a healthy 401 in a 74 Hornet X,had a ****load of fun with that car,lol. It ran low 11's and not many people knew what it was,or gave an AMC much credit. If you've ever seen the James Bond movie "The Man with the Golden Gun",my little Hornet was a carbon copy of the one they did the barrel roll with,same colour and stripe package,except mine had the white interior.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Back in my younger days i ran a healthy 401 in a 74 Hornet X,
A friend in high school had a AMX Sprit with a 304 in it...Quick little car. I owned two Jeeps, a '76 CJ7 with a Quadrajunk and a 304, and an '81 with a 4sp and a 258 6cyl. The 304 got about 8mpg, and the 6cyl about 14...But I loved the 6cyl. Durable, torquey, puked a water pump about every 35K(but you could replace it in an hour). Good times in those tents on wheels.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
That video reminded me of times that we would have bull dozers, motor graders, loaders & large dump trucks out at some location. If a break down happened & we had to call a shop mechanic out.
The mechanic always brought a box of rags with him.
If there was a chance of a run away engine, we had to be ready to stuff rags around the Air Filters to cut the air off.
The air cleaner was a circular can, a air filter about 5" diameter was put on first, then the second air filter fit over & around the first one. Then the top of the can was held on with a butterfly nut.

I never saw any of them run away in my 33 years around heavy equipment

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
A friend in high school had a AMX Sprit with a 304 in it...Quick little car. I owned two Jeeps, a '76 CJ7 with a Quadrajunk and a 304, and an '81 with a 4sp and a 258 6cyl. The 304 got about 8mpg, and the 6cyl about 14...But I loved the 6cyl. Durable, torquey, puked a water pump about every 35K(but you could replace it in an hour). Good times in those tents on wheels.
My little Hornet started life as a 304 with a 3 speed,then morphed into a 4 speed behind the 304,then morphed into a 401 ahead of the 4 speed,till i ran out of AMC t-10's,then it got switched over to a built 998 (AMC's version of a Chryco 904).Couldn't keep 1st and 3rd gear together in the light duty T-10's,lol

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
A, the 2-stroke smokers! As long as you had a good supply of rod slipper bushings for the wrist pin, you were set. DD recommended straight SAE 40 wt oil in summer and 30 in winter. Why? To keep the oil from pumping out the slipper bushings too fast!

In the Mobil Oil Industrial Territory, we had the Iron Mines - all the haul trucks in those days ran DD 16V149's, even though they broke down a lot. Asked why, the mine supe told us they were documented lowest cost per ton of ore, even despite all the breakdowns and loss of productivity.

That'll tell ya how cheap those motors were compared to Cat & Cummins!

You could hear a DD a mile away with their twice as often power stroke - 1800 rpm sounded like 3600 rpm!

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
A, the 2-stroke smokers! As long as you had a good supply of rod slipper bushings for the wrist pin, you were set. DD recommended straight SAE 40 wt oil in summer and 30 in winter. Why? To keep the oil from pumping out the slipper bushings too fast!

In the Mobil Oil Industrial Territory, we had the Iron Mines - all the haul trucks in those days ran DD 16V149's, even though they broke down a lot. Asked why, the mine supe told us they were documented lowest cost per ton of ore, even despite all the breakdowns and loss of productivity.

That'll tell ya how cheap those motors were compared to Cat & Cummins!

You could hear a DD a mile away with their twice as often power stroke - 1800 rpm sounded like 3600 rpm!
You could smell an old 2 stroke Detriot a mile away on a cold morning when it was idling,lol. The days when you could tell if a supercharger or turbo was going south by the amount of black smoke out the stacks :rolleyes:

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
A co-worker had a ‘00 Cherokee with the 4.0L, the thing had just over 300k on it when he got rid of it. Only mechanical issues were front end pieces & brakes. Only reason he got rid of it was body rust

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
A co-worker had a ‘00 Cherokee with the 4.0L, the thing had just over 300k on it when he got rid of it. Only mechanical issues were front end pieces & brakes. Only reason he got rid of it was body rust
The little 4.0 litre and the old 318 were bulletproof engines,usually the body fell off,before the engine died,lol. My brother-n-law had an old 74 Duster with a 318,and we couldn't kill that 318,the rear springs finally rotted out enough,they fell into the trunk.He retired the car,but the 318 out of it went into a buddies 74 shortbox dodge,where it lived for another couple years,till the truck hit an approach at about 50 mph,and bent the rods in the 318,if it wasn't for that incident,that 318 might still be running,lol.