CB/HAM Antenna mounting - Unique options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Intense-Dakota

Landscape and Nature Photographer
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am looking at two different tonneau covers right now (Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite and Undercover Flex). The fold-a-cover has a better design which allows front and rear opening and locks, but it also covers the bed stake holes. The UC Flex allows use of the stake holes which I would usually use for the CB antenna. So that brings me to the predicament I am in now.

• I will use the driver side fender mount for the HAM radio antenna, so that is out of the question.
  • I don't want to replace the AM/FM antenna with a CB antenna, so that is out of the question.
  • I don't want the CB antenna hanging off my trailer hitch, so that is out of the question.
If I go with the UC Flex, I will just use the stake hole mount again. But I have heard & seen lots of horror stories with leaks on these. I quite often have a lot of camera gear in the truck and need to secure it with a locking tonneau (and no I don't want a diamond back @ $2400).

So, if I go with the FaC G4 Elite, what are some other unique CB antenna mounting options you have seen used?

I have thought about a headache rack and also an acari mount, but both of those will be $300-400+.

The other obvious option is a mag-mount, but they can become a pain when off-roading, especially with low branches.

Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

BTW - This is on my 2017 REBEL.

Hilldweller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No replies?

I just got my 1500 Tradesman Classic last week and am looking for ideas as well. What did you wind up doing?

I've already mounted an Undercover SE over the bed and have a 2m radio and CB to install along with antennas. I'm thinking of the spot over the tunnel for the radios ---- the 2m radio has a front-firing speaker and the cb has a bottom speaker. So I could mount them vertically with the ham radio closer to the dash and the cb closer to the seat (middle seat will never be used and armrest will live in the down position).

Anybody else running both ham and cb?

OP
OP
Intense-Dakota

Intense-Dakota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a soft tonneau currently, but still have not purchased a mount for the CB antenna. I have my ham radio antenna mounted to the passenger side hood via a bracket that comes from under the hood and that works great. I just purchased a pop up camper and will be adding the CB soon. I will be using a stake holeount for it on the passenger side. I will be using a quick connect also so I can switch between a 4ft fire stick when travelling and a 3 ft firestick when off roading.

hardcharger77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am looking at two different tonneau covers right now (Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite and Undercover Flex). The fold-a-cover has a better design which allows front and rear opening and locks, but it also covers the bed stake holes. The UC Flex allows use of the stake holes which I would usually use for the CB antenna. So that brings me to the predicament I am in now.

• I will use the driver side fender mount for the HAM radio antenna, so that is out of the question.
  • I don't want to replace the AM/FM antenna with a CB antenna, so that is out of the question.
  • I don't want the CB antenna hanging off my trailer hitch, so that is out of the question.
If I go with the UC Flex, I will just use the stake hole mount again. But I have heard & seen lots of horror stories with leaks on these. I quite often have a lot of camera gear in the truck and need to secure it with a locking tonneau (and no I don't want a diamond back @ $2400).

So, if I go with the FaC G4 Elite, what are some other unique CB antenna mounting options you have seen used?

I have thought about a headache rack and also an acari mount, but both of those will be $300-400+.

The other obvious option is a mag-mount, but they can become a pain when off-roading, especially with low branches.

Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

BTW - This is on my 2017 REBEL.

Drill the roof. I install a Larsen NMO 2/70 for my ham radio. Pretty sure they make them for CB whips as well (actually they sent me a CB whip originally instead of the 2/70).

A few things to watch out for in the roof structure (measure twice!!). I have a thread on the install on the forum. Edit: Looks like I posted it to a different forum. Check out va3kxs.ca for a bunch of pics of the install.

Been up there over a year, no leaks. I have a cap for it if I ever need remove the antenna to park in a garage or something.

18611ec73468d59223d2bd037634459b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Intense-Dakota

Intense-Dakota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would typically say the roof is best, but with off roading (low branches) and me keeping vehicles for less than 5 years, I don't drill.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
A headache rack can be very useful. That’s where I have my CB antenna mounted, and soon my GMRS antenna as well. Just get a spring and you’ll be ok. I only screw in my antennas when in use since they’re 3 feet tall and my Power Wagon is enormous. When I take them down no one has ever noticed my CB stud left behind.

7CA396D0-525B-4065-813D-866F5B95476A.jpeg 2DD333B9-7C1E-406F-B3D5-021ACE69177B.jpeg

hardcharger77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would typically say the roof is best, but with off roading (low branches) and me keeping vehicles for less than 5 years, I don't drill.

I’ll either just put the NMO cap on or insert a rubber plug when I trade it in. Doubt the dealership will ever notice.

Good point on trees though. I’ve whacked it pretty good a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trouble

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Breedlove pocket mount and sirio 5000, get kit from bullring to open up pocket. You can see it clears my gold up tonneau, and FYI the bullring kits fit sweet under tonneau at rear. Breedlove makes either sr239 or 3/8 24 depending on what antenna you use.....real good stuff. Coax can be run into truck thru grommet at bottom of rear seat storage!!
Pics show setup with 192 whip, using sirio cos it folds down when I go in garage. SWR at 1.2 across board, have talked 45+ miles straight line barefoot!!!IMG_20190828_111148057_HDR.jpg IMG_20190828_111155262.jpg IMG_20190828_111155262.jpg

Trouble

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You won't be disappointed, Breedlove makes GOOD ****, and pretty much whatever you might need. On the ram use the pocket plate with the 4 degree angle!!

Hilldweller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe I should've looked at other tonneau covers. The Undercover SE covers all the stake holes. I'm reluctant to roof mount, trees and parking garages....

Where's everybody mounting the radios? And how many radios?

TeamSlacker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a comet no holes fender mount on drivers front fender with dual band ant.
FTM-400xdr body is mounted under left side of driver seat.
Display is mounted to custom designed and 3d printed bracket above the radio.
Mic mounted to left of shift knob (for now) still trying to find a spot it's out of the way but easy to grab.
Not shown but I have a magnetic cup holder mount (in one of the console cup holders) to stick the Uniden scanner on for road trips. in the process of building a cable to get gps NEMA data out of FTM400 into the uniden also.

20200529_112024.jpg

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
Maybe I should've looked at other tonneau covers. The Undercover SE covers all the stake holes. I'm reluctant to roof mount, trees and parking garages....?

In same sort of boat. Cover sit on top of the rails so pockets are covered. Roof is out, rather park in my garage than have a CB. Not sure about those under hood/over fender ones?

Thinking of a magnetic mount with a 90* adaptor between bed/cab? last option drill bumper old skool ?

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
A headache rack can be very useful. That’s where I have my CB antenna mounted, and soon my GMRS antenna as well. Just get a spring and you’ll be ok. I only screw in my antennas when in use since they’re 3 feet tall and my Power Wagon is enormous. When I take them down no one has ever noticed my CB stud left behind.

View attachment 211030 View attachment 211031
A better, more recent pic of my two antenna mounts, CB and GMRS/FRS

3DE81648-3EBE-4A62-B7AE-FAEF372C303E.jpeg

Vman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Okay, just getting on this thread - no updates since last June. I have a Cobra CB radio that I want to mount in my 2016 Tradesman, but I really only need it when pulling my TT a few times during the camping season. I have the magnetic mount and could just slap it on the roof when needed and run it through the window, but would really like a cleaner install. Here’s my question, does anyone have a recommendation for a quick disconnect mount that’s both functional yet discrete for the antenna? I want to be able to slap it on when I neatness the CB, but not drive around daily with it on nor have an eye sore mount. Also, is there a weather proof cap or something to keep water out of the connector? Sorry, fairly new to CB radios - just want a clean, flexible option. Appreciate your insights, thanks!

rod from md

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Okay, just getting on this thread - no updates since last June. I have a Cobra CB radio that I want to mount in my 2016 Tradesman, but I really only need it when pulling my TT a few times during the camping season. I have the magnetic mount and could just slap it on the roof when needed and run it through the window, but would really like a cleaner install. Here’s my question, does anyone have a recommendation for a quick disconnect mount that’s both functional yet discrete for the antenna? I want to be able to slap it on when I neatness the CB, but not drive around daily with it on nor have an eye sore mount. Also, is there a weather proof cap or something to keep water out of the connector? Sorry, fairly new to CB radios - just want a clean, flexible option. Appreciate your insights, thanks!

back when i ran radios in my cars, i used a K40 antenna..whether they were mag mount or lip mount, the antenna and the base load twisted off in a quarter turn.. still left a little mount , but was super easy to reach and grab for low parking garages , car washed etc no idea if they are still made but maybe ebay search?

UPDATE; did a quick search and they are still available be sure to get the longer whip version w the chrome ring at the base of the load..that one is quick twist and you can get a magnet mount for it but it sold as an extra

Last edited:

Vman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Thanks for the tip Rod! I looked and all I could find was a K40 with magnetic base (like I have already), or one that mounts to the mirror (which could work), not sure how I feel about that one actually. Hmmmmm....

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7

Yes, you can get “rain caps” for pl-259 and NMO connection mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro