Cb questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok guys. I have been looking through some older posts and decided to just start a new one.

I am wanting to put my old cobra 29 ltd in my 2017 long horn.

First question , does anyone have any pics of installs other then on the top of the dash ? I found a picture of one that the guy bent a couple brackets up and kinda hung it in the magizine slot on the side of the consol . I kinda like it but looking for any and all ideas. And if that guy is on here, how did that mounting place work out and is it handy but yet not rubing on your leg or anything ?

Secondly , does any one have anything to say about the Wilson 1000 mag mount with the short load antenna?. I am wanting to stay with a mag mount and really like the idea of being able to unscrew the mast.

I'm not needing a super powerfull high dollar rig , just something to use on trips and play with for starters . My grandfather was big into radios and now that I'm getting older it is starting to interest me.

My 29 is stock other then a peak and tune job at Bob's cb in PA about 20 years ago. . I am curious if anyone has any knowledge about the mosfett conversion , echo and talk back boards? And are the compatible with an older early 80s radio ?

I haven't ran a cb in over 20 years things have changed.

Thanks for any help

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just keep mine in the lower centre console. I wired a cig lighter socket in there off the rear seat cig. lighter. Antenna cable under the carpet to under the passenger seat and I just put the antenna on the roof when I need it. Mic has channel up and down on it so I just pull it out when I need it. Not ideal, but it's out of sight when I don't need it and easy to rig up when I need to use it. A lot of guys have brackets that hang off the back of the seat held in place by the headrest. I just need it because I drive on a lot of resource roads that are radio controlled.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joes1500

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the idea, but I don't think I want it hanging off the back of the seat.

kukufixer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
Regarding the magnetic mount antenna. I've got two that I used on my 2004 ram. The film or fabric over the magnetic mount wore through and scratched through the clear coat on the roof. And that was with very little use and occurred with both antennas. Haven't used my Cobra CB with my 2016, partially 'cause I'm very hesitant to use the magnetic mount antenna again. I have the 40-20-40 front seat and keep the CB under the jump seat in the storage area.

OP
OP
Joes1500

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm think about putting a price of that clear paint protection film were I'm going to put the mag mount. Hopefully that solves any paint problems.

TRANSMITTERGUY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I want a CB radio in my truck because I travel I- 80 and want to hear the truckers information. The CB radios I have tried don't pick up much voice because of the amount of electronics in my RAM truck. I get a lot of spark plug noise so I put grounding straps on my hood, It helped some, but the noise is still there. I bought a all in one handheld CB , after trying 4 other units, so I wouldn't have to mount it. I bought a glass mount CB antenna so I could still get into the car washes. Overall I'm not real happy with the reception because of so much background noise from the trucks electronics. I have experienced traveling on I-80 and passing a big rig and the amount of RF noise coming from that trucks electronics totally swamped out my reception till I passed him. It Is hard to get a low SWR on the antenna across the CB band centering on chanel 19.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
All the guys I work with have radios and magnetic antennas. The guys with new ford trucks have to come up with a different options. Most are going to fender mount or mounting a steel bracket on the box to stick the magnet to. Haha. Problem with aluminum bodies.

OP
OP
Joes1500

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm going to clays radio shop here in San Antonio on friday. Going to try and learn some things while I'm there.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
My setup is the handheld all in one cobra so that when not in use it’s completely removed with no evidence. I also have a suction cup mount for hanging the unit so I don’t even have a permanent dash mount for it. The antenna screws into a stud on my Go Rhino Bar. I will only be using it on the beach or when off-roading. I know you already have the unit, but if you’re concerned about looks, you might want to check out the Cobra 75.

blue_bandit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok guys. I have been looking through some older posts and decided to just start a new one.

I am wanting to put my old cobra 29 ltd in my 2017 long horn.

First question , does anyone have any pics of installs other then on the top of the dash ? I found a picture of one that the guy bent a couple brackets up and kinda hung it in the magizine slot on the side of the consol . I kinda like it but looking for any and all ideas. And if that guy is on here, how did that mounting place work out and is it handy but yet not rubing on your leg or anything ?

Secondly , does any one have anything to say about the Wilson 1000 mag mount with the short load antenna?. I am wanting to stay with a mag mount and really like the idea of being able to unscrew the mast.

I'm not needing a super powerfull high dollar rig , just something to use on trips and play with for starters . My grandfather was big into radios and now that I'm getting older it is starting to interest me.

My 29 is stock other then a peak and tune job at Bob's cb in PA about 20 years ago. . I am curious if anyone has any knowledge about the mosfett conversion , echo and talk back boards? And are the compatible with an older early 80s radio ?

I haven't ran a cb in over 20 years things have changed.

Thanks for any help
I'm local to Bob's CB and just dropped my 29 off there this week!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Joes1500

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone tried putting a cobra 29 in the spot where the tray comes out from the center console?

Not sure which tray you referring to.

But I had found a picture of an install someone did ,that they put a smaller CV (not sure of the model) in the tray area directly below the heated and cooled seats button area . Where the vertical part meets the center console. The one that nothing really fits in.

OP
OP
Joes1500

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This isnt the one I remember seeing. But will give the idea.

The one I remember was of a Laramie style center consol . Which is what I have so it intrested me.

photo 1 (800x600).jpg

firebuff17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You mean this tray?
I don’t have a CB but that’s where I put my switches.
65fe595012548f946fa06cebb9baccf5.jpg
76fd123e75255fb4bca0501dccf94ae6.jpg

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Can it be mounted on the passenger side ?

I don't know, as I don't have this mount. I've seen it mentioned in other threads and forums for people looking to install a CB. I would imagine it could be possible, drop the manufacturer a email. I wonder if the stock antenna would interfere being so close?

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So to answer a few questions, as I’ve been a licensed Amateur Radio Operator for the last 15 years, and have been helping my Father and Grandfather install radios in trucks/cars for the past 30 years.

First, the engine noise is the electrical whine of the alternator and the ignition system being transmitted through the wiring. Even if you go direct from battery to the radio you need a noise filter. Google 12v 20amp noise filter and anyone will solve that problem.

Second, radio choice is just that, your choice. It all depends on what you want to do/use it for.

Lastly, antenna choice and placement. The best place for any antenna is on a flat metal surface. It gives you a good ground plane and allows you to hear and talk farther. Height is also one of the most important things for antennas. Without getting into too much engineering the center of your roof is the best place, and it permanently attached is best. But everything is a compromise. I drilled a hole just in front of the third brake light on my truck to mount my antenna. Works great for what I need it to do.

Currently only picture I have of antenna. I will take some more today. After I get my ass out of bed.

5c560354a02ebe84cb82b6dbca696a98.jpg

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Armory 18x9 +12mm
Cooper Stt MAXX LT295/70R18

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 5W-30
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30