Center shelf to drawer retrofit project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
2015 RAM Tradesman 4X4
Center drawer retrofit project
Completed 4/7/19 Started 1/21/17

2017-04-23 14.16.35.jpg
PIC- Original shelf

2019-04-06 18.25.18.jpg
PIC- Modified drawer installed

This project is to add the center drawer and replace the shelf closeout panel on a 2015
RAM 3500 4X4 Tradesman with manual transfer case floor shift. I picked up the center
drawer and some other dash parts on eBay for a decent price. Upon initial attempts to
install the drawer it was discovered that the lower portion of the drawer molding is
completely different than the lower portion of the shelf closeout panel. The second issue
was that the USB charge port was not immediately obvious on how to disconnect from the
wiring harness as the wire disappeared into the dash. After that initial attempt, the
stock parts were reinstalled and further installation options were contemplated.

2018-12-30 16.13.24.jpg
PIC- Drawer bezel and shelf side by side

After a long while I came up with an idea that maybe the lower part of the shelf closeout
could be grafted to the lower part of the center drawer. I contacted Benny at
AllMopartParts and he got me the part number and good price on the shelf panel. I did not
want to hack up my original in case this turned out to be a huge fail. After I had all
parts in hand I compared the two and found that in-fact the lower portion of each could
be cut off and the lower shelf could be attached to the upper drawer. This is where the
project stopped for another long time as other things cropped up.

2018-12-30 16.24.14.jpg
PIC- Drawer bezel cut

2018-12-30 16.35.39.jpg
PIC- Shelf panel cut

Fast forward to late last year I had the shelf panel marked out with blue tape. The drawer bezel is cut along a bend to leave a flange so no tape was required. The necessary cuts were made. The pieces were assembled and they actually lined
up pretty well. To fasten the 2 parts together I initially intended to use ABS cement but
this plastic is poly or nylon and is impervious to ABS cement. I assumed as much and ran
some test globs inside the discard parts and confirmed my suspicions. I decided to
purchase some black trim screws from Advance Auto as there was a nice overlapping flange
that would be used to hold the two parts together. As a filler I used some black epoxy to
fill in the crack between parts. After that was completed the modified drawer sat
throughout the winter waiting for warm weather to install.

Continued in next entry.

Last edited:
OP
OP
clifford15

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Continued from #1

2018-12-30 17.15.40.jpg
PIC- Drawer bezel initial assembly

2018-12-31 12.25.18.jpg
PIC- Finished drawer bezel

This past weekend (April 7, 2019) I decided to permanently install my DIY heated steering wheel wiring
(different project) and took the opportunity to install my modified drawer assembly.
First task is to remove the radio bezel. It has been detailed many times. Also this
time I was able to focus better on removing the USB charge port and found that there is a
round cylinder (transformer) clipped inside the dash reinforcement and it is visible from
the right side of the radio and accessible from the lower glove box. Removal is pretty
simple. The transform slides off a bracket and the connector is removed from the
transformer.

Removing the floor console is a simple 2 screw operation for the rear section, then slide
the 4x4 boot through the opening (that was not easy). One screw fastens the forward
section and then a few clips hold it to the lower shelf. The shelf is held in by 4 screws
and is is easy to remove once the USB and 12 AUX wires are disconnected. The next step is
to transfer the 12V AUX and USB receptacles to the new drawer center section.

The drawer section is held in by 6 screws. The 4 originals and 2 additional on the top
inside and inline with the top originals. Reuse the original screws. The new modified
drawer section just pops into place like the shelf panel. Reassemble all of the interior
trim pieces.

2019-04-06 17.22.25.jpg
PIC- Installation

The project is complete and the drawer opens without contacting the console or 4X4
shift. There are no rattles or looseness and I believe it looks about as factory as it
could. It is too bad that this is not a real option for these trucks but it is possibly
because the original shelf parts are also used on the manual transmission trucks in which case
the drawer will not work.

2019-04-06 18.25.18.jpg
PIC- Completed

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Looks good! Looks like OE.