Change 5th gen tiow mirrors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GChandler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just got a ‘21 1500 Limited with tow pkg and tow mirrors. My preference would’ve been standard mirrors, but I took was was available. I don’t like the flat mirror on the right side. Is there a convex mirror I can swap or even just double-sided tape on? Also, I have the 360 cameras and there’s a ‘bump’ on the bottom of the housing that I haven’t seen on others. It holds a light? I think I can order OEM expensive replacements but trying to ‘fix’ these and try to get used to the added width. Any suggestions?

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
The bump out on the bottom side of your mirror housing is part of the 360 degree camera system that holds the camera. If you remove that, you no longer have a functioning camera system. Not worth it. If you dislike the passenger side flat mirror they have the stick on convex mirrors you can place there....which I don't see why you would, because the outside edge mirror is convex.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
1631476383805.png

The bump out on the bottom part of the mirror housing is where the camera is located.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
What bump out
That image is dark & a couple more pix at different angles would be nice

OP
OP
G

GChandler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you OC 455. A friend also has a ‘21 limited with 360 camera(w/o trailer mirror) and diesnt have the bump. I’m thinking if asking /trading him so neither of us needs to buy a new set(as he’s about to get a trailer) but don’t want to lose any functionality. I think neither of us would.

OP
OP
G

GChandler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And the pictures fine for me since I know what it is. Thanks. You just happened to have one laying around?!

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you OC 455. A friend also has a ‘21 limited with 360 camera(w/o trailer mirror) and diesnt have the bump. I’m thinking if asking /trading him so neither of us needs to buy a new set(as he’s about to get a trailer) but don’t want to lose any functionality. I think neither of us would.

He's either mistaken or he has the only factory 360 surround view on a ram without the camera mounted in that bump in the tow mirror. If his camera for the side views of the 360 camera aren't here, can your friend tell us where they are located in his case?

Pretty easy way to tell, go put yours in the surround view and then stick something in front of the camera in that bump to see if it interferes with the image on the screen. However, unless we are all horribly mistaken, can nearly guarantee you that is your camera for the 360.

Harder way to tell, swap mirrors with him and lose that function.

OP
OP
G

GChandler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine is camera for sure. I’ll see his truck tonight and check for his camera.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
And the pictures fine for me since I know what it is. Thanks. You just happened to have one laying around?!

No, that is just a photo I was able to find via the web that showed the nub for the camera. My Laramie Longhorn has the 360 camera system and both of my mirrors have them. If you remove the mirror assemblies and go with the different mirrors, then you no longer have the 360 view. There are 4 cameras that work together to produce the surround/360 view. The one in the front grill under the A of the RAM emblem, the rear backup camera in the tail gate and the two cameras in the mirrors.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine

I don't think swapping mirrors is going to work too well for either of you. Your tow mirrors have different functions than the regular mirrors that your friend has. I'm going to make an assumption that your mirrors are capable of power fold, and adjustable outside convex mirrors?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I have tow mirrors, the outside convex work great with the flat mirrors. My convex on both sides are power adjustable. At least with a normal mirror on the right you can tell how far ahead of a car you are and the convex covers the blind spot fully. I am really glad my mirrors are also power fold because they need to come in every time I park the ruck in the garage. Door is just barely wide enough to fit with them deployed, not worth the risk leaving them out. I did not get the surround cameras so no bumps on mine. Cross path and blind spot warning weren't available due to chip shortage, those two I would have like to have.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't think swapping mirrors is going to work too well for either of you. Your tow mirrors have different functions than the regular mirrors that your friend has. I'm going to make an assumption that your mirrors are capable of power fold, and adjustable outside convex mirrors?

He could maybe have the first ram with 180 degree view?!? Haha just kidding of course, I'm sure that probably wouldn't work out too well.

For the 1500 tow mirrors, in addition to getting the 360 view now, we finally got the power fold but did not get the adjustable outside mirrors. Would like to have those too on my 1500 but I'm just happy we got the 360 view/power fold, otherwise I would have ordered with the standard mirrors.

Oh we also got the led light beneath the mirror that you can turn on with the cargo lamp while in park or reverse. I've enjoyed that so far, definitely throws a lot of light down the sides and makes backing up and using the mirrors great at night.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
He could maybe have the first ram with 180 degree view?!? Haha just kidding of course, I'm sure that probably wouldn't work out too well.

For the 1500 tow mirrors, in addition to getting the 360 view now, we finally got the power fold but did not get the adjustable outside mirrors. Would like to have those too on my 1500 but I'm just happy we got the 360 view/power fold, otherwise I would have ordered with the standard mirrors.

Oh we also got the led light beneath the mirror that you can turn on with the cargo lamp while in park or reverse. I've enjoyed that so far, definitely throws a lot of light down the sides and makes backing up and using the mirrors great at night.
Ok, I thought the convex outside adjustable mirrors were now standard. Good to know.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, I thought the convex outside adjustable mirrors were now standard. Good to know.

After re-reading that part of my post, just want to clarify the 1500 tow mirrors didn't get the power outside convex. Of course we get that part of the mirror and can adjust it manually, I'm sure you read it that way but just wanted to avoid confusion for anyone else reading.

OP
OP
G

GChandler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I do have power fold but not adjustable convex portion.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
After re-reading that part of my post, just want to clarify the 1500 tow mirrors didn't get the power outside convex. Of course we get that part of the mirror and can adjust it manually, I'm sure you read it that way but just wanted to avoid confusion for anyone else reading.
Yup, I got it...LOL.

OP
OP
G

GChandler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I saw my friend’s 2021 1500 Limited tonight. I don’t know if he’s the only one in the history of the universe to have it, but I can tell you for certain that he has 360° View without the bump on the bottom to hold the camera like I have on my tow mirrors. His camera is in the mirror housing and moves with the mirror when folded. I’m hoping the wiring harness/pins match up because I’d gladly trade him to get the standard mirrors. They can’t do that with the tow mirrors because the mirrors flip up and out for towing. I would lose the additional lighting but haven’t seen that yet. That power line may be the reason it wouldn’t be a direct swap.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I saw my friend’s 2021 1500 Limited tonight. I don’t know if he’s the only one in the history of the universe to have it, but I can tell you for certain that he has 360° View without the bump on the bottom to hold the camera like I have on my tow mirrors.

Maybe there was some confusion about your friends mirrors, I was under the impression your friend also had tow mirrors but it sounds like maybe he has the non tow mirrors instead? If that's the case then yeah, completely different mirrors and I don't believe they would have the same bump as the tow mirrors.

Wish I could help on your other questions but I've never swapped mirrors on one of these things before.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel

Actually they will swap over no issue. The 2021 1500 does not get a power convex mirror. That is reserved for the Heavy Duty trucks.

I did this swap on my 21 1500. I went from regular mirrors to towing mirrors on my 21 Limited with the same options. No issues.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Here is a picture of my truck when I bought it and when it had tow mirrors on it. Kind of a far shot I know but I was showing the Jeep off too. I bought factory towing mirrors that would have come on a 21 1500 and added them. Plug and play. Only mod I did was program with Alfa OBD to tell the truck that it had towing mirrors.

20201102_110156 (2).jpgATT00001 6.jpg