Charging USB Type C phone from RAM OEM USB Type A Port

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Louis Lugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just got my new Samsung Galaxy Note 9, ok cool. I hesitated for a moment buying it when I realized it had USB type c, as I don't care about the reversible connector and I have some high quality micro USB cables, but made the purchase anyway, along with some adapters for micro USB to USB C.

Well now with a bit of research I learned there is a problem with this and I would like to know the experience and thoughts of others who have experimented or understand the electronics involved.

My understanding so far is that USB Type C is 3A, while previous was 2.1A or 1A. So if you just put an adapter on a microUSB cable that the 3A current draw can easily burn out your charging source, a real bummer if it's a laptop or something expensive that you plugged it into.

One solution to that problem is that many USB Type C cables and adapters have a built in 56k ohm resistor built in to reduce the current draw, but that will slow down the charging significantly.

An aside, I was wondering then why doesn't a 1A charger blow out if I plug my old Note 5 into it which charges faster on a 2.1A charger, but I think there is something in the circuitry that limits the current, but not effective enough for the 3A draw, still trying to figure that one out in detail.

The real question is does anyone have any experience and/or know the current rating for the USB charging port in my 2015 RAM 1500. I'm inferring that it is likely not 3A rated and that I will likely blow it or its fuse out if I try charging my new phone without a resistor. I'm tempted to try it though as I infer that the truck must have a fuse to that port to protect the truck from this action, so if it blows it I can just replace the fuse and if it doesn't blow it then great.

Has anyone been charging their USB Type C device from the USB port without using a resistor?

OP
OP
L

Louis Lugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have no issues charging my Note 9 with my standard USB charger. You shouldn't have any issues.

Can you clarify, are you saying you are plugging your OEM Samsung charging cable into the ram in dash OEM USB port?

OP
OP
L

Louis Lugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I see now that the charger included with the Note 9 also says 2.1A output. So now I am inferring that the Note 9 only draws the 2.1A, not the full 3.0A that USB Type C is capable of.

This could be a real issue for someone charging a higher current USB Type C device. I learned about it just buying a new cable for it and noticed that some cables come with the 56k ohm resistor and so I looked into it and found this is what it is for. Evidently not a problem for the Note 9, but good for people to be aware of for someone with a device that uses more current.

https://plus.google.com/+BensonLeung/posts/HakwCMmd346

Last edited:

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
My wife and I both got new phones this year with type C connection, we have plugged into any and all of the usb connections in the truck with no problem other then slower then desired charge time.
So I have purchased a high powered lighter power charger and have taken our plug in charger and plugged it into the AC outlet in the truck.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
My understanding so far is that USB Type C is 3A, while previous was 2.1A or 1A. So if you just put an adapter on a microUSB cable that the 3A current draw can easily burn out your charging source, a real bummer if it's a laptop or something expensive that you plugged it into.
It does not sound like your on the right track.

This link may help get you pointed in the right direction. It provides an overview of how different charging standards manufacturers use work. https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-does-fast-charging-work/

mrsnicks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a Motorola Moto Z2 which uses a usb type c connector. I plug my usb cable directly into the usb jack in my 2018 Ram 1500 with no problems.

OP
OP
L

Louis Lugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It does not sound like your on the right track.

This link may help get you pointed in the right direction. It provides an overview of how different charging standards manufacturers use work. https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-does-fast-charging-work/

Interesting. Now I'm wondering if in fact my oem charger somehow limits current to 2.1A and so the phone could in fact damage my laptop if I used it to charge the phone. Unsure, so I'll not. I say this because the article specifically mentions the Note 9 drawing up to 4.6A I think it was I read, more the double the 2.1A listed on the OEM charger and many other chargers I've seen. I have more homework to do to resolve the math, but for now I'll err on the side of caution.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
...and so the phone could in fact damage my laptop if I used it to charge the phone. ...
No, your phone can not damage your notebook. Your missing two things :
1. Without communication/negotiation only lowest amount of power allowed by the spec is delivered.
2. A charger (or device being used as charge source like a vehicle or computer) has a maximum rated output that it can't exceed. A device requesting or being capable of accepting more can't change that. It won't try. It can't try.

OP
OP
L

Louis Lugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
No, your phone can not damage your notebook. Your missing two things :
1. Without communication/negotiation only lowest amount of power allowed by the spec is delivered.
2. A charger (or device being used as charge source like a vehicle or computer) has a maximum rated output that it can't exceed. A device requesting or being capable of accepting more can't change that. It won't try. It can't try.

I had assumed that was the case until I recently noticed that many usb cables include an integrated 56k ohm resistor. Please tell me your thoughts on why do they sell USB cables with the built in 56k ohm resistor? Also any thoughts on the article I listed discussing this? https://plus.google.com/+BensonLeung/posts/HakwCMmd346